Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
JessiMommy
DIS Veteran

Pro's & Con's of a Split Stay...

Hiya! Looking for some advice on doing a split stay. Our dates are September 14-21, 2013. We are looking to try new resorts and thought we'd save a little by doing 4 nights at CSR and 3 nights at AKL. We have stayed at CSR before but only 3 quick nights, many years ago. We've never stayed at AKL. We will have our own vehicle and do plan a rest day on our check out/into new resort day. Most of our days will be spent doing rope drop at parks then returning to resort to enjoy pool after lunch. We will return to the parks most evenings.

If you have ever done a split stay do you feel it was worth it or was it a hassle? Looking for all pro's and con's. We currently have CSR booked for September 14-18 and AKL booked from September 18-21. If we decided against the split we would probably do the whole stay at AKL.

Thanks for the help!

Just back from a fabulous 8 days!
AKL ~ September 14-21, 2013
JessiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I love split stays and do them almost on every WDW vacation now.

The cons are obvious: packing/unpacking/moving. For some people, this is a huge hassle. For me, not so much. I do not unpack so it's not a big deal to toss my toiletry bag back into my suitcase and zip it. When we did a Grand Gathering split stay with all of the adult children/grand children, I told them to pack for the split stay. One suitcase for resort A and then another suitcase for resort B. So they unpacked suitcase A and then tossed the dirty clothes bag back into that suitcase when we moved. Only the toiletries were used at both resorts.

For me, the pros are the change in location. My favorite split is an Epcot resort and then AKL/AKV for the 2nd leg because it's so relaxing there. I take advantage of the nearby dining. When I stay at Epcot resorts, I eat at places within walking distance. When I move to AKL/AKV I then eat at Jiko/Boma/Sanaa. The time I save having to travel for dinner makes up for the extra time it takes to move.

I also like making the transfer day a resort day. In your case, I would pack the swimwear in a tote bag. Transfer to AKL, check in and get room keys for access to the resort amenities and then check luggage with Bell Services. Use your room key to access pool dressing rooms and change and enjoy the pool until your room is ready.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
mirage0306
DIS Veteran

We did a split stay last time and while I prefer simply staying at one resort, we are doing it again this summer. It's honestly not that big a deal. Since you'll have a car, you can just drive your luggage over to AKL--super easy. Even without a car, it's not a big deal--you just bring your luggage down when checking out or call bell services; they bring it over to the new resort and you can pick it up later that afternoon.

The only hassle was packing up mid vacation. Even with two young kids, it just wasn't that bad. I found the best thing to do was to have two suitcases and just use one for the first resort and the other for the second (or at least try, haha).

3/4 is pretty short for a split--last year we did 5/5/1--but we are also doing 3/4 this year. I really don't think it 's that bad. and if you find out you don't like doing it, you have a great solution--just pick one resort for your next trip! Happy planning!

Wilderness Lodge: June 2011
Caribbean Beach/Boardwalk Inn CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge: June 2012
Poly CL/Animal Kingdom Lodge CL: July 2013
Candy Cane Inn (DLR): December 2013

This trip report is useless without pictures: A July 2013 Poly CL/AKL CL adventure <---- READ ME! IT'LL BE FUN!
my first trip report bit the dust
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

We have done split stays for 3 years now and love it. Driving and doing the rest day during your switch is definitely the key- it should be an easy transition. Also going from a moderate to a deluxe is ideal so you should have a great trip! Split stays enable us to afford longer stays and get to stay at the deluxes, it often makes our trip seem longer too. Some people do two separate suit cases but for us it's easier to use the same bag for both resorts, just get a luggage cart and it seems like no big deal.

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Haley
DIS Veteran

I don't think it's too bad- but I would only do it to save money.

Like I think we have done a few nights at Pop and then moved over to Polynesian.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, next trip Dec '13!

Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

We did it once and I found myself concentrating and getting so excited about the second resort (deluxe) that I wasn't allowing myself to enjoy the current resort (moderate). I remember waking up on the morning of transfer at 6a, I took a cab over to WL and checked us in. I couldn't wait to get there. So if you're personality is anything like mine (crazy), I'd stick to one resort.

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Irishlisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMommy View Post
Hiya! Looking for some advice on doing a split stay. Our dates are September 14-21, 2013. We are looking to try new resorts and thought we'd save a little by doing 4 nights at CSR and 3 nights at AKL. We have stayed at CSR before but only 3 quick nights, many years ago. We've never stayed at AKL. We will have our own vehicle and do plan a rest day on our check out/into new resort day. Most of our days will be spent doing rope drop at parks then returning to resort to enjoy pool after lunch. We will return to the parks most evenings.

If you have ever done a split stay do you feel it was worth it or was it a hassle? Looking for all pro's and con's. We currently have CSR booked for September 14-18 and AKL booked from September 18-21. If we decided against the split we would probably do the whole stay at AKL.

Thanks for the help!
Great question, thanks for asking. We are doing our first split stay in November. 3 nights at AKV and 4 at BLT. My husband is the one who insisted on doing a split because we were finally able (after 3 years of trying) to get a Grand Villa at BLT. We stayed in a GV at AKV last September and LOVED it so I was fine with spending the whole week there, but I am very excited to see what the GV theme park view has in store for us too!!!! I'm just stressing about the whole packing/unpacking with 4 young children (ages 9, 8, 5 year old twins). Should be interesting

DH, Me, DS(9), DD(7), DD(5), DD(5)

Irishlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

We are doing our first split stay this Sept. Initially it was with the intent to save points, but as we got closer to the7 month booking window, the excitement of staying at 2 resorts took center stage. We arranged the trip such that we are in a studio the first 4 nights (AKV) and a 1 BR (BCV) for the last 5 nights. I wouldn't recommend a split stay of less than 3 days at any one resort, but that's just me.

Either way, you'll be at Disney - have a great time.

DL 66-68; Off-site: 77/90/91; POR 92/94; BC 8/99; WL 3/10; BLT 9/10; SSR 12/10; OKW 5/11; BLT 9/11; HHI 4/12; BLT 10/12; WBC 4/13; AKL-K/BCV 9/13; VB/VGF 9/14
peabody58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Everyone is different but I would only consider a split stay on a 10+ day trip. I prefer to take care of business at the beginning and ends of my trips and not have to plan out logistics, check-in/check-out, etc. of a moving day in the middle. I also like to unpack and be organized so having to do that mid-trip wouldn't bode well with me either. 5 days or longer at both resorts would be the only way I'd consider it.

Cons: Not being able to unpack, having to deal with front desks mid-trip, might not get to try everything you'd want to do at one of the resorts, don't really get used to/appreciate the subtleties and minutiae of the resort, potential for disappointment or regret if you are loving your first resort

Pros: Can save money, get to try more than one resort, might feel like two different vacations
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Were contemplating the same exact thing. So far I have 7 nights booked at POR and then the other option is 3 nights POP 4 nights AKL.

I think we are going to go for the split stay. Now that I have an AP I can't get free dining so it works out for us.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
elaw
DIS Veteran

We love doing split stays ... For us, there are no cons
Splits have allowed us to try new resorts and our favorites all in the same vacation. Over the years, we've been able to stay at all 4 of the Mods and 7 of 8 the Deluxes .. The Poly is the only one on our "List" left to try.

Last edited by elaw; 05-22-2013 at 06:23 PM.
elaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
JessiMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy's Mom View Post
We did it once and I found myself concentrating and getting so excited about the second resort (deluxe) that I wasn't allowing myself to enjoy the current resort (moderate). I remember waking up on the morning of transfer at 6a, I took a cab over to WL and checked us in. I couldn't wait to get there. So if you're personality is anything like mine (crazy), I'd stick to one resort.
This is something I could see myself doing so I will have to give this more thought...overall though I think it will be fun to try and we'll probably just do it. I like the 2 suitcase idea too. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Just back from a fabulous 8 days!
AKL ~ September 14-21, 2013
JessiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Dannek
So many roads to ease my soul...

I'm going to do a split stay in September.

I like it since it makes my plans easier to accomplish, and I like a change of scenery..

My first four nights will be at the Poly, and I'll be doing two days at MK and two days at Epcot. Since I live just over an hour away from WDW, my first day is my arrival day as I'll get there early.

Then I move over to the AKL for two nights, and on the day I move I'll do Hollywood Studios and the next day Animal Kingdom for my final full day. I'll hit Downtown Disney for a half day on the day I leave, and I'll be home walking on the beach before dinner.

Last edited by Dannek; 05-22-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Dannek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Brownsfan317
Mouseketeer

We did a split stay in September 2011 starting at All Star Sports and then over to AKL. The day I chose to switch resorts was also our MNSSHP date, so I took my time packing up in the morning and let Disney transfer my luggage. We went to DTD for awhile and then over to AKL for check-in. Then it was over to MK. It was a very easy transition.

In a couple of weeks we are splitting between Caribbean Beach and Yacht Club. The day we switch is a day at Hollywood Studios for us, so we will be able to take the boat from HS to Yacht Club to check in.

Split stays would be more difficult for me if:

1. I had more than one kid or perhaps younger kids (just me and DS13 on the trip)
2. If we often went back to the resort in the afternoon for naps/relaxation. We typically are out and about all day.
3. It does not bother me to pick up and move between resorts. If I had a ton of stuff to pack up, it would be less convenient.
4. We typically do not need to make any specific room accommodations so I just do online check in and take whatever they give me (or the requests I make are "would be nice" and not requirements). If I had specific needs that needed to be met, I would probably be more concerned about going through the check-in process twice.

Caribbean Beach/Yacht Club June 2013
Port Orleans Riverside January 2013
All Star Sports/AKL September/October 2011
Port Orleans French Quarter July 2009
Old Key West November 2006

Multiple trips starting in 1986-stayed off site at "Irene's Steakhouse" aka Best Grandparents in the World's Home!
Brownsfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: