Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
I have a Capital One 360 savings account. I shovel everything I can into this account. Sometimes it is a hundred or two. Sometimes it is less than five dollars. But if it isn't in my checking account then I can't spend it.
I do MyPoints to earn gift cards for Disney.
I also do Swagbucks to earn Amazon cash. I use that Amazon cash for everything I can. That frees up cash to go in my savings account.

My guess is that you want to go in Nov/Dec to see the Christmas stuff. If that is why then I suggest you build Annual Passes into your April 2014 budget. Then look at Nov/Dec 2014. It gets a lot cheaper to go to Disney when you don't have to pay for tickets.

Figure out what bills you can cut. Does your AC need to be that low? Or can you change it by 2-5 degrees? It makes a difference. Do you really need all that cable? Are you watching all those channels? Can you replace cable with a Roku box and a subscription to Hulu Plus and Netflix?
Yes! I think it would be wonderful to see the Xmas decorations at disney! I will have to see bout the ap for 2014 as u mentioned. If I lived with just me and my kids we would have no cable, but my husband can't live without his Espn ugh. I'm opening a capital one savings today and thanks for the info on the apps!
malya2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by malya2006 View Post
Great idea thanks! I am looking into the disney cc. Hoping they approve me. And I will get disney cards when I have extra money at target since I get 5% off. Btw what can u get with the disney gift cards? Anything?
You can use disney gift cards to pay off your trip (room and/or tickets) directly thru disney. You can also use them for food, merchandise, etc at the parks. Any place that takes credit cards in the parks will take disney gift cards. I think there are only a few snack carts left that may be cash only. If you can get 5% off at target to buy them, that is a 5% discount on your trip already! Buy up as many as you can beforehand. HTH!
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #33
nichanda
Mouseketeer

Have you thought about staying at the Downtown Disney resorts rather than on property? We stayed at the Holiday Inn WDW last year, and the price was really good. They are technically still on Disney property, but aren't Disney hotels.

The DTD resorts have a wonderful busing system that is comparable to Disney busing system. It runs every half hour to the parks and is very reliable. I've stayed at a value property before, and prefer the DTD hotels better. They have a better location in my opinion (walkable to DTD).

The Holiday Inn had a mini fridge and microwave in every room, which is wonderful for in room snacks. We ate breakfast in our room every morning and saved money. There is a grocery store a 10 min walk up the road from here. The walk is a nice sidewalk path. Great walk. The rooms were nice and clean. The pool was lovely. There was a Disney gift shop in the hotel and some nice dining options.

DTD is also a 5-10 min walk. We walked there almost every day. I love this area. You are still in "the magic" but are close enough to the "border" you can walk up the road to some off site dining and shopping options.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/

Also, we bought our park tickets from Undercover Tourist. It was a bit cheaper than buying directly from Disney. They get really good reviews on here.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #34
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post

You can use disney gift cards to pay off your trip (room and/or tickets) directly thru disney. You can also use them for food, merchandise, etc at the parks. Any place that takes credit cards in the parks will take disney gift cards. I think there are only a few snack carts left that may be cash only. If you can get 5% off at target to buy them, that is a 5% discount on your trip already! Buy up as many as you can beforehand. HTH!
That's awesome thanks! I'm assuming there are no limits on how many cards u use or no expiration dates. Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichanda View Post
Have you thought about staying at the Downtown Disney resorts rather than on property? We stayed at the Holiday Inn WDW last year, and the price was really good. They are technically still on Disney property, but aren't Disney hotels.

The DTD resorts have a wonderful busing system that is comparable to Disney busing system. It runs every half hour to the parks and is very reliable. I've stayed at a value property before, and prefer the DTD hotels better. They have a better location in my opinion (walkable to DTD).

The Holiday Inn had a mini fridge and microwave in every room, which is wonderful for in room snacks. We ate breakfast in our room every morning and saved money. There is a grocery store a 10 min walk up the road from here. The walk is a nice sidewalk path. Great walk. The rooms were nice and clean. The pool was lovely. There was a Disney gift shop in the hotel and some nice dining options.

DTD is also a 5-10 min walk. We walked there almost every day. I love this area. You are still in "the magic" but are close enough to the "border" you can walk up the road to some off site dining and shopping options.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/

Also, we bought our park tickets from Undercover Tourist. It was a bit cheaper than buying directly from Disney. They get really good reviews on here.
We're going to stay at downtown disney on our third trip. The kids have their heart set on staying at the AoA family suite this time around but I would love to see what other hotels offer. I'll def look up the holiday inn
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
SnowWhite
Did it 20 times in a row back in '83
In real life I dance like Steve Erckle

We always throw ALL our loose change into a jar. Being Canadian it does add up faster because we have 1 and 2 dollar coins but we did start this year throwing in $5 bills as well. We started last November and we just counted and we have almost $800!! We quite often do day trips across the border to shop so we pick up disney gift cards at Target or Walgreens and so far we have $600 for our Sept trip. We almost always stay at a value and plan to go during free dining time, this year we are staying at a moderate because we are 5 now. We usually book the trip several months in advance so we can start making payments on the trip early whenever we feel we have a few extra dollars. Good luck with your saving!

1981,1983,1994,1995 Offsite
2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites
2005 Oct 28-Nov 5 POP/OKW/CSR MNSSHP Oct 30th
2005 Nov 5-7 St Georges Island(condo on the beach)
2006 Sept 29-Oct 9 POP, MNSSHP Oct 6th, FREE DDP!!!!
2007 May 16-May 27 POP, Doin the DDP!!
2007 Oct 22-29 St Georges Island (condo on the beach)
2010 Nov 13-21 POP and Free Dining!!!! Hannah's 1st visit with Mickey!!!
2012 May 19 - 26 POP and Free Dining!!
2013 Sept 27 - Oct 8 POR

SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #37
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I use a travel agent and pay a little every month. Right now that's $100-200. It's so little in our overall budget, I don't even notice it. Plus, a travel agent is alert for any and all discounts. We were able to upgrade from a value to a moderate for just a few dollars, due to the summer discounts Disney offered.

I booked our upcoming Disney Cruise on the first day available (about 18 months out), paid it off well ahead of time, and have now saved up several hundred dollars for excursions, pictures, souvenirs, etc.

You might also consider renting DVC points to save significant money.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacati...tTrade-FAQ.htm

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
ktmo
Mouseketeer

I also opened a 360 Capital One savings account. I needed to have our vacation money separate from regular checking/savings. Now anytime I have a little extra, I transfer money over. I also put money in each week.
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2013 - 4 nights on the Dream
October 2013 - Art of Animation
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #39
Auntie Sherry
Mouseketeer

When I worked full time I had a Disney account where a portion of my check was direct deposited right in to it every paycheck. It was enough so we could go every year. Now we live on one income but have no kids at home anymore, so I do things to raise the money and some extra things to save the money we have. I buy things at yard sales and sell them for more on ebay. I have had my own yard sale. I have picked blueberries for a local farm. I can make my own hours and I love being outside in the summer. I save my bottle returns and put that in my fund. To save money I hang out my laundry to dry in the good weather. I have a garden and nothing goes to waste I either can it or freeze it. I make my own pizza every friday instead of buying it. I make my own granola and crutons and lots of other things from scratch. I make homemade gifts for some people for birthdays and Christmas. I only grocery shop at Walmart becaue the food is less. I don't have to buy a lot of clothes for myself anymore since I don't have that kind of job. I only go to my hairdresser twice a year now. I do my own nails too. I love to do all kinds of crafts which can be expensive but I only buy stuff on sale or I find a lot of craft supplies at yard sales for a fraction of the cost. I don't buy coffe out. I have a kuerig but I feel the k cups are too expensive so I buy a big can of Hazlenut coffee and use the filter with it. I make my husband's coffe in a regular coffe maker because he likes just plain no flavors and very strong so now we can both have what we like with out the cost of the Kcups. I also get a low milage discount on my car insurance now that I don't drive to work everyday. Right now I am subbing two days a week as an assistant teacher at a daycare center that is only 4 miles away. I can wear jeans and my Disney tee shirts becaue we get messy playing with the kids. I am using the money for my next trip in December and if I like the job I can stay. Then I will have my extra Disney money right there. I just started and and so far it is a lot better then sitting in a cubicle like I did for 20 years.

2010 Auntie shows Niece the world pop century
2009-Grand Floridian 25th Anniversary/Birthday
2007-Polynesian 4th of July
2006-Contemporary Son College Graduation
2006- Disney Cruise My 40th Birthday
2005- Disneyland's 50th Paradise Pier with husband
2004-Wilderness Lodge Husbands Family Grand Gathering
2003- Polynesian Just husband again
2002- Polynesian just husband
2001- Comtemporary Mom and adopted kids
2001- Dixie Landings Free Work Trip
2001- All Star Movies just Me
2000- Dixie Landings Sister and I
1999- Carribian Beach Best Friend only No Famlies
1998- Carribiean Beach 15th Anniversary No Son
1997- Dixie Landings Best Friend and Families
1995- All Star Sports First Time On Site Son 11
1989- Off Site Son Five years old
1985- Off Site Son's first Trip
1983- Off Site Honeymoon Trip
Auntie Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #40
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Sherry View Post
When I worked full time I had a Disney account where a portion of my check was direct deposited right in to it every paycheck. It was enough so we could go every year. Now we live on one income but have no kids at home anymore, so I do things to raise the money and some extra things to save the money we have. I buy things at yard sales and sell them for more on ebay. I have had my own yard sale. I have picked blueberries for a local farm. I can make my own hours and I love being outside in the summer. I save my bottle returns and put that in my fund. To save money I hang out my laundry to dry in the good weather. I have a garden and nothing goes to waste I either can it or freeze it. I make my own pizza every friday instead of buying it. I make my own granola and crutons and lots of other things from scratch. I make homemade gifts for some people for birthdays and Christmas. I only grocery shop at Walmart becaue the food is less. I don't have to buy a lot of clothes for myself anymore since I don't have that kind of job. I only go to my hairdresser twice a year now. I do my own nails too. I love to do all kinds of crafts which can be expensive but I only buy stuff on sale or I find a lot of craft supplies at yard sales for a fraction of the cost. I don't buy coffe out. I have a kuerig but I feel the k cups are too expensive so I buy a big can of Hazlenut coffee and use the filter with it. I make my husband's coffe in a regular coffe maker because he likes just plain no flavors and very strong so now we can both have what we like with out the cost of the Kcups. I also get a low milage discount on my car insurance now that I don't drive to work everyday. Right now I am subbing two days a week as an assistant teacher at a daycare center that is only 4 miles away. I can wear jeans and my Disney tee shirts becaue we get messy playing with the kids. I am using the money for my next trip in December and if I like the job I can stay. Then I will have my extra Disney money right there. I just started and and so far it is a lot better then sitting in a cubicle like I did for 20 years.
Great ideas ! I'm trying my hardest to cut down on costs! Thanks for all ur tips. I love the idea about kcups!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
Deffenm
DIS Veteran

Many of the things we do are already listed. We save our change, we are getting ready to have annual community garage sale, use gift cards earned through mypoints, SS rewards, and our bank (we earn points for using debit card). I also buy Disney gift cards to pay for trip at local grocery store to earn discount on gas. Once I have earned enough discount to get free tank of gas I use the discount and then the money I budgeted for gas that week goes into Disney fund since didn't have to use. We don't eat out very much (good for the waist line and our budget) or go to the movies.

This isn't a budget tip but to hold us over until our next trip we do Disney Movie Themed nights. If you go to the Family Board there is a long post of Disney movies and great ideas for food, crafts, and activities to do that go along with those movies. So once we book a trip we make a countdown calendar/chain and then every other week we have a Disney themed night. The kids love it and it helps pass the time until our next trip. We also request the planning DVD each year and the free customized map. I know it is not the same as actually being there but it helps.
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #42
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Deffenm that is too cute! My kids would love a disney themed movie night. I didn't know u can order the maps every year. I am so excited for our April trip I just want to skip summer!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #43
Leeanne
Loving Life as a Princess with my Prince Charming

We had to do a major change in our budget this year. In January I signed us up for mint.com. It is both a website and an app. I strongly advise using something this with your debit car. My DH and only use a credit card (as al mentioned earlier paid off monthly and it's a rewards) so we needed to keep track of what we were spending.
The way it works is enter all your online bank info. Credit, debit, savings, even mortgage and 401k. It pulls all you transactions and you set a budget. So $50 for restaurants (not fast food) for example. If we go out (bday or anniversary) then it in the budget. If we don't it goes in a savings or Disney fund. Pretty much everything is budgeted. Mortgage, electric, medical and Disney. We even took it a step further and added in those yearly bills (pest, car tags, trash pickup, etc) added all that together and divided by 12. If it was $123 then I rounded up to $130 as a cushion.
Now I will say you may be surprised how much you are paying for fast food and the like. It is just my DH and I and I was ashamed!!
We do have some money built in for fun stuff. So if the nieces/nephews come to see and want to go to the zoo we can BUT we take that money out of our "shopping" fund which is where I buy detergent, soap, tp, paper towels, etc. I also buy toys and gift ideas all year old. We have such a stash that we were buying stuff before Christmas last year for this years Christmas! Of course we have 15 nieces/nephews so you may not need that tips!! LOL
Any money left over in any line item (gas was only $150 verses estimated $300) is also transferred over to the Disney fund.
This is a whole new way of thinking about things but it has totally changed the way we manage our money. Does this make sense?

1989-one day MK; 2007-CR; 2009-10 days-ASMo-promise ring in front of castle prior Wishes; 2010-11 days-POP-Engagement on Poly Beach during Wishes/EWP; 2011-15 days-CSR-Disneymoon!!; 2013-14 days-POP
Leeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #44
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

These are the things I do:
  • Save all of DH's weekend national guard monthly money. It gets deposited into a different account and I pretend it doesn't exist. It isn't much, a few hundred a month, but the bulk of our savings comes from it.
  • Working gift card deals at Target. I stock up on laundry detergent, toliet paper, tooth paste, or whatever they have on special with the bonus $5 gcs. I ONLY buy these items when there is a GC offer. I save my bonus cards until I have enough to pay for a Disney GC. Between my Christmas shopping bonus GCs and my daily HBA/Grocery bonus GCS - I have earned about $1500 this year alone. Easy to do with a family of 5. I also do the December deal of buy $50 get a $10 gift card free @ Target. I've done it the last two years. This year I saved $250 doing it.
  • Ebates. I buy as much online that I can when I need something if there is free shipping+ebates %. I've earned over $400 this year alone, as I did all of my Christmas shopping online.
  • My grocery money / allowance/ for the week comes out of the account in cash. I do not spend $1 bills at all, so if I get $1s back as change, they get saved. I will either do a $25 gc when I have 25 $1s, or I will deposit it in the account. Usually I do the GC at the local store to get the gas perks, though.
  • We do not spend any coin change. We collect it and take it to the coin counter at the bank and deposit it. Easily have saved $400 this way in a year.
  • Selling unwanted items on craigslist/facebook groups. This week alone I've made $250 on a facebook group selling random clutter around my house. I have about $100 going out this weekend, too. I also take the kids' outgrown clothing to OUAC and sell them. I don't get much, but it's usually $100 or so 2x a year.

eta: working my savings deals (not cash savings, but bonuses, gas perks, ebates, etc). has almost fully paid for a six night stay with DP (military rate) for the kids and I @ AKL. I'm not joking! I'm just really committed!

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014

Last edited by goofyredraider; 05-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #45
ellena980
Earning My Ears

"I'm a horrible money saver"-- how can you do that.Great.
ellena980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: