Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKentucky View Post

I use bonus money for most our trips (I own my own company so I am compensated through bonuses quite often ) I also have 4 envelopes and I follow that 52 week challenge. So, we tend to have $5,000+ saved for a Disney vacation.
Disneykentucky lucky you! Tell me more about this 52 week challenge?
malya2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran

Location: Bowling Green, Ky. about 45 mins from Nashville, Tn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillscabanastories View Post
We have a Disney Visa card and charge absolutely everything on it, then pay it off at least twice a month. We managed to earn about 900.00 Disney Dollars this year, and dropped it all on our Panama Canal Cruise.
This as well. Paying that card off 2 times a month and racking up cash. By the time we go again it's going to be at least $500-600 which helps.
DisneyWorld- Sept. 2010, April 2011, Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Oct-Nov 2013, January 2013 ran the Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2014 and May/June 2014 Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event and 2 weekends of Star Wars Weekends!
End of July/ Beginning of Aug 2014 for Frozen Summer and quick 6 day trip.
Finished Tower of Terror 10 miler October 2014 and a trip for 10 days at Walt Disney World.
DisneyKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillscabanastories View Post
We have a Disney Visa card and charge absolutely everything on it, then pay it off at least twice a month. We managed to earn about 900.00 Disney Dollars this year, and dropped it all on our Panama Canal Cruise.

If you can't make more money for the vacation, see how you can cut costs at home (for every dollar you save, is more for Disney), yard sales, part time somethings, eat a home, cut the cable if you can, other bills.

Also see how you can cut the cost of vacation, get room discounts, what can you save by accommodations. Maybe that 5K could be cut down to something more manageable.
This is a great idea Jill, I'm going to try that, love credit card rewards
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran

Location: Bowling Green, Ky. about 45 mins from Nashville, Tn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malya2006 View Post
Disneykentucky lucky you! Tell me more about this 52 week challenge?
Basically, week 1 put in $1. Week 2 $2. I cheat because weeks 40-52 get tough with 5 envelopes so, filling it as quick as possible is the key. Most people just do one envelope and realize it's easy. Most people will go out to eat for $52+ once a week. Eat at home one meal for those weeks that you would have went out.
DisneyWorld- Sept. 2010, April 2011, Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Oct-Nov 2013, January 2013 ran the Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2014 and May/June 2014 Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event and 2 weekends of Star Wars Weekends!
End of July/ Beginning of Aug 2014 for Frozen Summer and quick 6 day trip.
Finished Tower of Terror 10 miler October 2014 and a trip for 10 days at Walt Disney World.
DisneyKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

I have a Capital One 360 savings account. I shovel everything I can into this account. Sometimes it is a hundred or two. Sometimes it is less than five dollars. But if it isn't in my checking account then I can't spend it.
I do MyPoints to earn gift cards for Disney.
I also do Swagbucks to earn Amazon cash. I use that Amazon cash for everything I can. That frees up cash to go in my savings account.

My guess is that you want to go in Nov/Dec to see the Christmas stuff. If that is why then I suggest you build Annual Passes into your April 2014 budget. Then look at Nov/Dec 2014. It gets a lot cheaper to go to Disney when you don't have to pay for tickets.

Figure out what bills you can cut. Does your AC need to be that low? Or can you change it by 2-5 degrees? It makes a difference. Do you really need all that cable? Are you watching all those channels? Can you replace cable with a Roku box and a subscription to Hulu Plus and Netflix?
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #21
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

savings bonds

Not sure if it's a Canadian thing only, but we have payroll deduction for savings bonds . DH and I both have about $400/month going into that and on payday I transfer $20-$30 into my vacation account. The biggest challenge for our next trip is that it is a surprise for the 3 teenagers (who I insist bring their own spending money )

FANTASY- Oct, 2014 Western Carribean
POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!
Me: DH, DD(20), DD(17), DS (15)..
bfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

$5000 for the 3 of you (one of them being a new born)? First figure if you can shrink that down. Stay at a value. Don't eat so many TS meals. Eat breakfast in the room. There are ways to go to Disney cheaper than that. This June we (me, DW, DS6 and DD11) are going for 2 weeks and we are only spending $5000 (rented DVC points, APs, and $100/day food budget). How do we get the money - tax return and also there is 2 months out of the year that there is 3 pay checks. Our monthly budget is built on 2 pay checks a month, so the third is a bonus not needed for bills.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Definitely pay off your credit card and get one that gives rewards back. Always pay it off at the end of the month. I have the Disney visa which gives 1% back and also the chase freedom which gives 1% on all purchases but also has different 5% back categories which change every quarter. Make your credit cards work for you. We charge everything we can and come vacation time each year, we have a few hundred extra dollars to spend.

Buy Disney gift cards when you have some extra money. That way you can't dip into it for anything but Disney. I combine this with my chase freedom card to earn 5% back on them when they offer drugstores or grocery stores as one of their 5% back categories. BUT, that only wirks if you are disciplined enough to pay the card off each month! So, if you know you aren't going to be disciplined, just go buy them with the cash you have. Do not pay credit card interest!
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

1. We use our Disney Chase for almost everything.

2. In 2013 - 2014 we will make 3 trips in one 12 month period, so we will buy APs which cuts down significantly on that cost.

3. We drive to Disney and use our car to go off property to eat for some meals. DH has a company car. We pay a set amount for personal use each month up to X miles and X miles is plenty for us, even with a Disney trip. That helps us out a lot, as I don't have to budget in gas or car or any of that, but we can go where we'd like when we'd like when we are at Disney.

4. We have an online savings account that is set up to take a small amount - about what we'd pay for one meal out - into it. We sometimes drop "found" money into it (overpaid on the escrow or money back for this or that) and sometimes will put birthday money into it.

5. Once in a blue moon, DH works OT. 80% of the time OT goes into the regular savings account, but once in a while we'll drop a few hundred into the Disney fund.

6. DH and I both have hotel points from their loyalty clubs. In a pinch, we can book one night at the beginning and/or end of our trip at a hotel in Ocala for just a few points. We either get up early and are at Disney for the parks by opening or we go to Disney and then drive to Ocala and go to bed really late. (A nice hotel in Ocala costs us only a few points. The same level of hotel in Orlando costs about 4x as many points.)

7. We bought DVC. This requires an upfront cost, but we know we'll go over and over again, so as a depreciating asset, it was a really good financial decision for us, but we don't have to worry about that cost anymore. Before we bought DVC, we used to rent a studio from someone on points. We got a deluxe accomodation in the style we like for a much, much better price than we could get a deluxe accomodation from Disney.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by malya2006 View Post
Thanks for the figures! 570 a month is not doable I guess I can forget about the nov trip, it'll have to wait till April next year.
You're not alone. I don't know too many people who would be able to find an extra $570 in their monthly budgets.

The good news is that by waiting until April of next year, you will have more opportunity to earn extra money and save for that trip. You also have more time to plan and seek deals to save money on that trip.

As someone else pointed out, you could probably do that trip for less money if you compromise on where you want to stay and how long. It may be cheaper to drive than it is to fly. You can save a lot by eating light meals in your resort room and bringing snacks into the parks. But if none of those suggestions fit into your idea of a Disney vacation, then the only answer is to save aggressively. To have $5K by next Apr, assuming that you don't raid the $1K nest egg that you have right now, you will need to set aside $360+ each month between now and April. If you are booking a package, you will need to increase that amount to a little over $420/month because final payments are due 45 days prior to arrival.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

I posted earlier but was just thinking further about your post. Perhaps you could concentrate on lowering the cost of your vacation? Not sure how many people in your family, where you plan on staying, or how long you're planning on going for, but $5000 is a lot of money. You could probably scale your costs back to a more do-able cost.
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
crisi
DIS Veteran

You could also look at this proprotionally and work it from the other end

You make $75k. You probably take home more like $55k - probably less after health insurance, taxes, 401k, but lets use $55k.

You are talking about spending $10k a year on vacations.

That is 18% of your income. That would leave you $45k a year to live on - and certainly people live on less - but are you willing to, can you be comfortable?

Your numbers are probably different, and if I were doing this exercise for real I'd add in your obligations (mortgage, student loan, outstanding credit cards) to figure out what percentage of your disposable income you are wanting to spend. I suspect it isn't pretty and if you look at it that way, your desire to go that often and spend that much would shrink.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymayz View Post
$5000 for the 3 of you (one of them being a new born)? First figure if you can shrink that down. Stay at a value. Don't eat so many TS meals. Eat breakfast in the room. There are ways to go to Disney cheaper than that. This June we (me, DW, DS6 and DD11) are going for 2 weeks and we are only spending $5000 (rented DVC points, APs, and $100/day food budget). How do we get the money - tax return and also there is 2 months out of the year that there is 3 pay checks. Our monthly budget is built on 2 pay checks a month, so the third is a bonus not needed for bills.
Sorry we r a family of 5 now. Just had a baby 3 months ago. Sorry I wasn't clear. I can probably reduce it to 4g as a budget I just like having extra in case of emergencies. April is going to be easy to save up because its tax refund season and I get an annual bonus in feb. just wishing I could go in nov/ dec also since we didn't go at all this year but ill just be patient. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
malya2006
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
Definitely pay off your credit card and get one that gives rewards back. Always pay it off at the end of the month. I have the Disney visa which gives 1% back and also the chase freedom which gives 1% on all purchases but also has different 5% back categories which change every quarter. Make your credit cards work for you. We charge everything we can and come vacation time each year, we have a few hundred extra dollars to spend.

Buy Disney gift cards when you have some extra money. That way you can't dip into it for anything but Disney. I combine this with my chase freedom card to earn 5% back on them when they offer drugstores or grocery stores as one of their 5% back categories. BUT, that only wirks if you are disciplined enough to pay the card off each month! So, if you know you aren't going to be disciplined, just go buy them with the cash you have. Do not pay credit card interest!
Great idea thanks! I am looking into the disney cc. Hoping they approve me. And I will get disney cards when I have extra money at target since I get 5% off. Btw what can u get with the disney gift cards? Anything?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
LisaRae87
Mouseketeer

I live on a very tight income at the moment and what I have found to work for me is that..

1) I write out all my bills/due dates and when I get paid in a planner that way I know exactly what is coming out of each deposit.

2) I signed up for Ebates, anything I buy online I do through a site supported by Ebates. They give you x% back on purchases. 1% at walmart but upwards of 25% or more at other places. The mail a check once a quarter. Any money I get from that - Disney Fund! This helps mostly around my DD's birthday and Christmas.

3) I use plink and shopkicks. Earn points for certain purchases and walking into places. Points = Gift cards. Gift cards = real money I don't have to spend and can save OR buy a Disney gift card. Shopkick gives points for purchases at The Disney Store (not online) so buy gift cards from there and earn more points.

4) When I get paid - I do any online shopping I plan to do for that 2 weeks then I go withdraw any money that is left in my checking that is not being used for bills - plus leave what I plan to use for gas since I get plink points for gas at 7/11.

5) Use only cash (unless I can get points) and save all my silver change (I hate pennies and counting them... they go in a diffferent jar) and place it in my disney money jar. I do not use my silver change at all - if something is $1.25 and I have a quarter - I still give them $2. I empty my wallet every couple days of silver change. When pay day hits again, any cash I have left - goes in the jar as well.

Number 5 alone has already helped me save - I have plans for a Character breakfast the week before DD's 3rd birthday in late June and knew I wouldn't have extra money around then since I have a party to throw and gifts to buy so I HAD to save it before hand. In just over a month or so I already have more than I need and everything else is going to save for new Seasonal Passes later in the year (HOPEFULLY)..

I haven't had a check from ebates since I started saving but will get one this month for about $8.. not a lot but still something. And I am currently saving my plink and shop kick points to cash in in early June to buy birthday gifts and then I will start saving them for Disney purposes. I am at $20 on plink already and about $15 on shopkick.

While a lot of people say to buy Disney gift cards as soon as you have money saved so you can't dip into it - I don't like to do this since I do live on such a tight income week to week, that way if I have an emergency or unexpected cost come up - I DO have the money to cover it, Disney comes 2nd to health and such. No credit cards to throw it on in an emergency and such.

These are just the things I do and may not work for you, hope you find something to help you meet your goals!

LisaRae87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: