Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Is Express Pass necessary on a non-holiday week?

I'm in the early preliminary planning stage for a short trip to US next April. We'll also be doing a Disney cruise. I've been to US numerous times and I don't recall ever encountering SUPER LONG lines. 15-20 min. is really our max for waiting in line...anything longer and we will skip it.
Anyways, I've never stayed onsite at US before and am really excited to do so. I am torn between trying the new Cabana Bay because of the suites and because it's new........but I don't want to give up the EP that we'll get by staying in one of the others. I should add that we always stay in suites/condos when we travel, but the suites at the other 3 resorts are way out of our price range, so not an option. It will be a regular room if we stay at one of the 3.

What do the experts say?
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Its not neccessary but incredibly nice.When in April are you going? Depending on when Easter falls APril can be busier than normal
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Crap, didnt realize easter was so late... thats the weekend i was thinking......i could do the following weekend tho, after the cruise
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Easter Sunday is April 20th next year and that whole week will be very busy. Plus Transformers will be open...Springfield will be open...and the new hotel will be open...bringing lots and lots of newbies to both parks. A one night stay onsite is looking better and better to avoid the high EP costs during that time of year but you'd have to forgo the Cabana Bay Beach Resort.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Easter Sunday is April 20th next year and that whole week will be very busy. Plus Transformers will be open...Springfield will be open...and the new hotel will be open...bringing lots and lots of newbies to both parks. A one night stay onsite is looking better and better to avoid the high EP costs during that time of year but you'd have to forgo the Cabana Bay Beach Resort.
When you say the whole week will be busy, are you talking about the week before Easter or the week after Easter? I just realized that with the way our WDW Annual Passes will be expiring next year (May 10th) that in order to get one last trip out of them that we'll be down there April 25th-May 5th. Will those last few days of April 25th-30th, be that busy? Looks like we'll be arriving the Friday after Easter.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
When you say the whole week will be busy, are you talking about the week before Easter or the week after Easter? I just realized that with the way our WDW Annual Passes will be expiring next year (May 10th) that in order to get one last trip out of them that we'll be down there April 25th-May 5th. Will those last few days of April 25th-30th, be that busy? Looks like we'll be arriving the Friday after Easter.
The week after is always busy...mainly because of Spring Break. A lot depends on when schools are out but I would count on big crowds that week...based on this year anyway.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

i was always under the impression that it's the week before that was the busiest.....and then it starts to taper off a couple days after easter. At least in the world of WDW crowd estimating.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
i was always under the impression that it's the week before that was the busiest.....and then it starts to taper off a couple days after easter. At least in the world of WDW crowd estimating.
quick peek at TP shows the week leading up to easter is straight out 10s. The week after starts at 10 for easter sunday and monday and sloooooowly starts to taper down....9, 9, 8, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4......

for WDW anyways, not sure if US is any different with crowd patterns.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

We visited this year the week before Easter. It was unbelievably crowded. I have never seen such crowds. 200 minute waits. I heard they closed off the HP area and people were waiting an hour just to get a ticket to enter the HP area.

That said, we visited US on two separate days. We stayed offsite and did not purchase Express Pass. We had no issues either day and never waited more than 20 minutes for anything.

We arrived super early (hit the parking lot about 45 minutes before park opening and knew which attractions to hit first. No issues whatsoever.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
quick peek at TP shows the week leading up to easter is straight out 10s. The week after starts at 10 for easter sunday and monday and sloooooowly starts to taper down....9, 9, 8, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4......

for WDW anyways, not sure if US is any different with crowd patterns.
Universal crowd patterns regarding holidays are nearly identical to Disneys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: