Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

Need help to get to start of tour at Epcot

I am staying at Boardwalk for the first time. Signed up for Backstage Magic Tour which starts at front of EPCOT at 8:45 AM and goes to 4 parks by special bus. I am going by myself and due to mobility issues will be in a ECV.

I thought I could just drive from the back entrance thru the park out to the main entrance to meet the group. I know I would use a park ticket but thats OK because going to stay at Epcot after tour. Disney reservations said that NO I will not be allowed in since the park doesn't open till 9AM. I would have to take a bus from BI around to front of EPCOT. I can't believe that Disney makes all who stay at the resorts right there at the back door of EPCOT not be able to use that entrance for tour early meetups. Can anyone help me and tell me if this is true. Concerned because afraid I may not get there early enough with bus and can't take a taxi with ECV.

(Disney rep also told me the tour will end at AK but I find it hard to believe that they will not drive people back to where they started the tour at front of EPCOT)

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by strawberrylilacs; 05-05-2013 at 08:10 AM.
strawberrylilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I hate it when Disney CMs hand out incorrect info!! I've stayed at BW and been able to get into Epcot earlier than 9am!! Geez...lots of people have ADRs at Akershus before then! Anyway...you should be able to enter via the IG by 8:25 or so. I would actually stop at the IG the day before and ask them how it will work. The issue 'could be' that you aren't going to something that is actually 'in' the park.
So...if you aren't able to get into the park by 8:30am, you can get a cab...there should be one available that will accommodate your needs. There is no bus to the front of Epcot from any of the Epcot resorts...more incorrect info given out by a CM.

BW is very good about helping it's guests out...if you find that you are not able to access Epcot via the IG, let the front desk know...they should be able to give you some help as far as transportation goes.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrylilacs View Post
I am going by myself and due to mobility issues will be in a ECV.
Sorry to hijack, but I'm curious... which tours are ECV accessible? I was reading about KTTK tour and it's described as a 5-hour "walking" tour. I assume this is due to utilidor access, etc. I also noticed that the AK tour involved rope bridges, etc.

So which tours are ECV accessible? Thanks!

EDIT: I just read the description of Backstage Magic Tour and it says utilidors are part of that experience as well, which makes me think maybe ECV can be used for KTTK. Or perhaps ECV is not possible for the tour you're inquiring about? Did you let them know you would be using an ECV to verify that the tour is accessible?

Ratatouille, the Ride!

Last edited by magicbob; 05-05-2013 at 08:48 AM.
magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

Talking

What a quick and great reply! I feel better already. I questioned the idea of bus service to EPCOT also. Didn't seem to make a lot of sense. The tour meets up infront of EPCOT but then goes in EPCOT to the American Experience. If I can't get in, I'll wave at them as they walk by the gateway entrance.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

MagicBob: There may be a faster, easier way, but on the DWD website, if you go to Things To Do, pick Activities, then Special Events and Tours.
It will list tours and if you click on one, it will bring you to a more informative page of that tour and on the right side in blue small font click on "additional information" and that usually tells you if wheelchair or ECV allowed.

I just looked up KTTK using the above and no info is given on that particular tour but I would be Very Surprised if wheelchair or ECV was not acceptable. (They do go on a few rides but I would think that the restrictions are what you normally would encounter on the Jungle Cruise, Haunted House, or Splash Mountain) The AK tour that you mention has quite a few restrictions with age, weight, height etc. but there are other AK tours that do not.

Last edited by strawberrylilacs; 05-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I stayed at the Swan and did the Backstage Magic tour this past Friday. I checked with GS two days before and they putt name on the list so that I could enter through the IG with the akershus early breakfast guests!
Just stop in to GS at least the day before and they'll take care of it for you. They didn't even have us scan out tickets, though I thought that was odd and may have been a mistake. We have APs so using my pass would have been no issue at all....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

PS - the tour ends back at the same spot where the bus started in Epcot. AK isn't even the last park on the tour - it's MK, but then they take you back to Epcot.
BTW - lunch was at Whispering Canyons in the Wilderness Lodge.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
strawberrylilacs
Earning My Ears

Lauren, Thank you so much for the great info. Aren't DiS forums great? I was able to connect with someone that did the exact thing a week ago that I was concerned about and responses I received were so quick. Posted my question around 4AM because I couldn't sleep and now I can (6AM for me) so I will go back to bed with this off my mind. lol
Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrylilacs View Post
MagicBob: There may be a faster, easier way, but on the DWD website, if you go to Things To Do, pick Activities, then Special Events and Tours.
It will list tours and if you click on one, it will bring you to a more informative page of that tour and on the right side in blue small font click on "additional information" and that usually tells you if wheelchair or ECV allowed.

I just looked up KTTK using the above and no info is given on that particular tour but I would be Very Surprised if wheelchair or ECV was not acceptable. (They do go on a few rides but I would think that the restrictions are what you normally would encounter on the Jungle Cruise, Haunted House, or Splash Mountain) The AK tour that you mention has quite a few restrictions with age, weight, height etc. but there are other AK tours that do not.
Thanks. I've done some additional research on the DISabilities board, and it appears that KTTK, Backstage Magic and others are accessible (to include utilidors). So, that should be no issue. I don't know about the IG early entrance, but at least it's good to know that OP is ok to use the ECV for the tour. I've been to WDW many times, and I've been backstage (to include utilidors) but not as part of a tour. I'm thinking of booking KTTK and maybe the AK tour next trip. I'd love to do the Wild Africa Trek, but I'd have to do that one alone... my wife could not go on the rope bridges, etc,. so I will probably skip that one.

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post

Thanks. I've done some additional research on the DISabilities board, and it appears that KTTK, Backstage Magic and others are accessible (to include utilidors). So, that should be no issue. I don't know about the IG early entrance, but at least it's good to know that OP is ok to use the ECV for the tour. I've been to WDW many times, and I've been backstage (to include utilidors) but not as part of a tour. I'm thinking of booking KTTK and maybe the AK tour next trip. I'd love to do the Wild Africa Trek, but I'd have to do that one alone... my wife could not go on the rope bridges, etc,. so I will probably skip that one.
Just to let you know, the Wild Africa Trek does have an amended tour that does not include the bridges - designed for guests with mobility issues. I suggest you talk to the WAT people and see if it might work for you. It's an awesome tour.
Be sure you talk to them specifically, they have their own line (the tour line should be able to direct you to it).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: