Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #286
JennLK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMomTN View Post
So I'm a first time Disney cruiser and this will be my family's (hubby and twin 5yr old boys) first time on a ship too! We happened to book the cruise last minute since we couldn't pass up the wonderful military discount!

We happened to find this board because I mentioned cruising to a friend and she said "You need an FE!" So anyway, we have an FE and no other idea about hidden gems and need to knows. Besides trolling this board, is there anything else I should read, know, discover before our departure in just a little over 30 days?
There is so much - LOL!!! You will learn and become addicted I am sure. But FE is important and fun.

Looks like I will be surrounded by wonderful military on this cruise

Cruise: Fantasy 8/14 * MSC Divina 4/14 * Norwegian Breakaway 1/14 * Magic 11/13 * Fantasy 9/12 * Dream 1/12 * Dream 2/11
WDW: Off-site (Bonnet Creek) 01/13 and 11/11 SSR 1/11 and CSR/CBR 12/06-1/07
JennLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #287
TwinMomTN
Last but not Least

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel2512 View Post
Hello, we (self, husband, 12yo DD, 7yo DD, 5yo DD/DS twins) will be on this cruise with you all. We booked today, got an awesome military rate on two adjoining verandah staterooms! Blessed to be able to use the military discount, as a family of 6 we could't afford it every year otherwise. Soooo excited.
Me too! First time Disney cruiser, 5 yr old twins, military discount! Whoo hoo! Can't wait to meet everybody!
TwinMomTN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #288
TwinMomTN
Last but not Least

So I saw in the earlier chain that there was an FE list. But when I tried to send a PM, it said "prohibited until I post 10 times".
Guess I'll be typing a bit until we can join the fun?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #289
TwinMomTN
Last but not Least

Another military family! Whoo Hoo!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #290
JennLK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another military family! Whoo Hoo!
Few more posts! what are your pre-cruise plans

Cruise: Fantasy 8/14 * MSC Divina 4/14 * Norwegian Breakaway 1/14 * Magic 11/13 * Fantasy 9/12 * Dream 1/12 * Dream 2/11
Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #291
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Welcome aboard everyone!

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #292
TwinMomTN
Last but not Least

Last minute too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLK View Post
Few more posts! what are your pre-cruise plans
Because all of this was last minute, I was racing around to get the DH and children's passports and booking a flight. Happily, I had frequent flyer miles so that didn't cost anything but the expedited passports-SHEESH. Almost 500 for three!
We'll fly in the morning of the day of. Nerve wracking but since we're not in the middle of peak travel or bad weather months- I figured we were safe.
I did the Disney transfer because it's our first time. Any thought on better options next time or was that the right choice?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #293
TwinMomTN
Last but not Least

Dolphin Excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser0408 View Post
Is anyone swimming with dolphins at either port? We did stingray city and snorkeling in grand cayman, and horseback riding at mr. sanchos in cozumel last year. We are thinking of going to dolphin cove in grand cayman this cruise with our 3 kids, 12, 10 and 6. Has anyone been there before?
I'm batting around the idea of the Dolphin/Turtle thing in GC but not sure if my really short (3.5 ft twins) will be thrilled about being in 3 ft of water. Maybe I swim and they observe? I know they'd be fine with the turtles.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #294
JennLK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because all of this was last minute, I was racing around to get the DH and children's passports and booking a flight. Happily, I had frequent flyer miles so that didn't cost anything but the expedited passports-SHEESH. Almost 500 for three!
We'll fly in the morning of the day of. Nerve wracking but since we're not in the middle of peak travel or bad weather months- I figured we were safe.
I did the Disney transfer because it's our first time. Any thought on better options next time or was that the right choice?
Disney Transfer may be good since you're flying in same day. I have never sailed from Miami so ...

Our friends are also flying in morning of

Old 09-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #295
disneyholic1977
Living our dream in paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncharlier View Post
We are driving from Patrick AFB, (Cocoa Beach area). Map quest says it will be just over 3 hour drive. We usually leave from Port Canaveral, (20 minute drive), but we couldn't pass up the Military rate.
We usually leave from Port Canaveral too, but couldn't pass up the fantastic Florida resident rate - not as good as the MTO rate but still great!!!
Disney Dream 9-2012
Disney Fantasy 10-2012
Disney Fantasy 5-2013
Disney Magic 11-2013
Disney Wonder 9-2014
disneyholic1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #296
ncharlier
Earning My Ears

We are also new to the FE. We are doing our gifts randomly as well. We are in room 7500. What room are you in? I plan on walking one floor a day and leave random gifts. We made Halloween magnets last year and did the same thing. It is a great way to check out all the wonderfully decorated doors and have a little fun while doing it. I didn't know about the FE till recently, and had to bribe my mom to make me a custom one to match our door. LOL
ncharlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #297
ncharlier
Earning My Ears

I started training for a 5K on Castaway Cay back in August before we booked our cruise. Does anyone know if they have an organized run on this trip to replace the run on Castaway Cay? I am not a runner, but I set the 5K as my goal and was a little disappointed that we are not stopping at Castaway Cay. I need an excuse to keep running. I am at 43 miles since starting on August 5th, (in Florida heat). Anyone know where I can start looking for information??
ncharlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #298
TwinMomTN
Last but not Least

Stateroom Letter re: FEs?

So I'm trolling and trying to learn everything and on the DIS Cruise line page, they have an excerpt of a 4/13 letter stating:

"As you may be aware, it is important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests. As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that you do not affix anything to your stateroom door utilizing tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives. We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on our stateroom doors; therefore we ask that you limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim."

So does that mean no FEs? It seems odd that a fabric holder could do damage...
Old 09-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #299
VowRenewal13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So I'm trolling and trying to learn everything and on the DIS Cruise line page, they have an excerpt of a 4/13 letter stating:

"As you may be aware, it is important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests. As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that you do not affix anything to your stateroom door utilizing tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives. We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on our stateroom doors; therefore we ask that you limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim."

So does that mean no FEs? It seems odd that a fabric holder could do damage...
Your FE does not hang over your door. In the hall beside your door is a fish or a starfish that you hang your FE on. You can attach magnets to your door.

We will be flying in the morning of the cruise. Using Disney transportation to the port. We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral and rent a limo if there are more than 5 people in our group going to the port. It is cheaper than Disney.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #300
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Bingo!
FE = fish extender. The fish is the usual receptacle for mail in the ship. The FE hangs from there.

Lots of fun to participate with the group.

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: