Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
disneygirl_wdw
Mouseketeer

WDW after rotator cuff surgery??

My DF is looking like he might need surgery on his rotator cuff. I was wondering if anyone has done WDW after rotator cuff surgery and how was it? We are looking at getting him a GAC for viewing fireworks and parades to minimize crowded places where people might accidentally bump him? He is still doing pt right now so no clue when or really of surgery will be
disneygirl_wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Just an FYI for MK there is no place set aside for the fireworks. As for the parades, the set aside viewing areas can be just as crowded, especially for the evening parades at MK. For the parades, they line up the WC/EVC/GAC strollers in front and then others line up behind them.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I'd be more concerned about many the rides than crowds while watching fireworks. It surprising how "jerky" something feels right after surgery that you never noticed previously. How soon after his surgery is your trip? Will his surgeon approve? When DH had rotator cuff surgery, he would have been in no shape for a WDW trip for at least a few weeks, and there is a lot of PT prescribed after surgery. Try to think if there is something ride-related that might help your DF be more comfortable, then by all means discuss that with Guest Relations to see what they can offer. But off-hand I can't think of much. I don't know if they can offer a seat on the aisle at shows so his shoulder is away from the person next to him. Alternative wait areas can get crowded. We avoid the reserved w/c viewing areas because they are so crowded - much better to stake out our own "space" early.

Don't forget to consider alternative fireworks viewing spots including outside the MK. There are places at CR where you can view fireworks, and our favorite is from the beach at the Poly - while it gets a good number of people I wouldn't call it "crowded" that I'd be afraid of getting bumped unexpectedly.

Good luck with the surgery and enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
disneygirl_wdw
Mouseketeer

It's looking if he needs surgery it may be 2-3 weeks before our trip. The Dr talked to him today and didn't like the results from pt today. So he sees him tomorrow and then we will have a better timeline. He's not much into roller coasters so we know all those are out. Stuff we know he won't be able to do and he's bummed about are Tt, st, and tmwm. Thanks for the idea of an end seat at the shows. I didn't even think about that. We are 6 weeks from our trip. A lot of it just depends on what the dr says tomorrow and then when they can get everything approved through workmans comp.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Coloradomom
Mouseketeer

I had rotator cuff surgery last year. The biggest issue is that for the first 6 weeks after surgery you can have NO active range of motion-meaning you cannot move that arm at all. Your other arm can lift it, or someone else can but you cannot or you risk undoing the surgery. I'd be way too afraid of something happening to take that chance with all the crowds. Even with best intentions things can happen. And even on slow rides like Small World something can happen (boats bumping into each other for example).
From a pain standpoint after the first week it is not so bad so that is not the issue. (at least from my experience). But everything takes longer too-even finding things to wear. Especially if it is your dominant arm (as mine was).
After 6 weeks you can go to active range of motion. (at least that is what my doctor said). I also had 3 months of PT, 2 to 3 times a week. That is besides doing exercises at home 4 times a day. It is a very annoying injury. Hope he can avoid surgery. All the best.
Coloradomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

I am 12 weeks post-op.

I would STRONGLY recommend waiting until after your trip for surgery. The pain he is experiencing now is not even close to what he would be 2-3 weeks post-op. This is not an easy surgery or recovery. Just talk to the doc and book the surgery for when you get home. Bring any meds to ease night time pain and get a decent rest.

I was in the immobilizer for 7 weeks. That would be really tough to get in and out of rides with. Being bumped in crowds or by family is very uncomfortable (even hugs hurt!). My surgeon said recovery with PT is 6-9 months.

Sleeping is still a huge challenge. At home, I can get up and sit in the recliner half way through the night. In a hotel, it will be much more difficult to find comfort as well as disturbing other family members.

Go, enjoy your trip and he can enjoy the photos while recuperating!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
disneygirl_wdw
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies. He saw the ortho for the first time today. They are thinking its a labral tear but they are ordering a month of pt and a follow up when we get back. Not a dr, but unsure on why they went that route since he is in pain and pt actually made the pain worse when he did it for the first 3 days. Oh well. So he will still probably be in pain just not have surgery yet. He's already said he's not going to push it down there and take it day by day. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I am 12 weeks post-op.

I would STRONGLY recommend waiting until after your trip for surgery. The pain he is experiencing now is not even close to what he would be 2-3 weeks post-op. This is not an easy surgery or recovery. Just talk to the doc and book the surgery for when you get home. Bring any meds to ease night time pain and get a decent rest.

I was in the immobilizer for 7 weeks. That would be really tough to get in and out of rides with. Being bumped in crowds or by family is very uncomfortable (even hugs hurt!). My surgeon said recovery with PT is 6-9 months.

Sleeping is still a huge challenge. At home, I can get up and sit in the recliner half way through the night. In a hotel, it will be much more difficult to find comfort as well as disturbing other family members.

Hopefully, your husband had an MRI, that's how they can really tell what's up. DH has a very severe tear (even tore his bicep tendon - looked like string cheese in MRI) and was the youngest in the surgery suite that day and he's 50. It was so torn they couldn't repair it fully 100% because with a shoulder tear what happens is your body tends to "attack" the torn portions of the tissues to remediate, like the body is supposed to. The longer you wait for repair, the harder it is to repair...that's why I asked about the MRI. DH was in a sling for a month before they would even allow any movement using the other arm. He had PT for 4 months after. It takes 9-12 months to return to full motion and use. He was an excellent healer and did his therapy and exercises faithfully. If they offer a cryo cuff (which you have to pay for because most insurance won't cover it) GET IT! Best investment ever!

& you're right PT shouldn't make it feel worse! If it does, I'd really question the MD's opinion on that.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
disneygirl_wdw
Mouseketeer

He is still doing pt, but his pt is saying its torn. Dr we think is waiting til we get back to do MRI and surgery if necessary. They say he is doing pt to build up his other muscles around it. DF is just wanting it done, but understands why he is waiting. He does not like not being able to do much.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I am 12 weeks post-op.

I know OP's DF will be waiting, but I did have to say if not, I am with you on this.. I had surgery on both arms.. and both times I had wanted to go to the parks after. Doc flat out told me NO. I had to wait minimum of 6 weeks, and even then no rides and still wear my sling! So what was the point of even going. I was in therapy & sling for 12 weeks with the last one (2010).

Last edited by A Mickeyfan; 05-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.
A Mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl_wdw View Post
He is still doing pt, but his pt is saying its torn. Dr we think is waiting til we get back to do MRI and surgery if necessary. They say he is doing pt to build up his other muscles around it. DF is just wanting it done, but understands why he is waiting. He does not like not being able to do much.
If he has not had an MRI, that is the only way to confirm if torn. My right arm, I went nearly 2 years on and off of is it torn or isn't it. I went for therapy, cortisone shots, anti inflammatory meds, finally had the MRI done after going to 4 different doc's and it was torn completely thru (2001). then in 2010 the left one tore. The day I tore it I knew it happened. I called the doc who did the surgery on the last one and set up an appt for an MRI to confirm it. I wasn't playing games. It too was torn right thru. That was was worse than the the right one.
Don't wait too long, my right shoulder drops about 2-3 inches compared to my left and I cannot lift more than 15lbs above my shoulder height. I never gained full use of my arm back due to waiting so long. It was not my fault either, so many docs and wrong dx's with it.. Good Luck...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
If he has not had an MRI, that is the only way to confirm if torn. My right arm, I went nearly 2 years on and off of is it torn or isn't it. I went for therapy, cortisone shots, anti inflammatory meds, finally had the MRI done after going to 4 different doc's and it was torn completely thru (2001). then in 2010 the left one tore. The day I tore it I knew it happened. I called the doc who did the surgery on the last one and set up an appt for an MRI to confirm it. I wasn't playing games. It too was torn right thru. That was was worse than the the right one.
Don't wait too long, my right shoulder drops about 2-3 inches compared to my left and I cannot lift more than 15lbs above my shoulder height. I never gained full use of my arm back due to waiting so long. It was not my fault either, so many docs and wrong dx's with it.. Good Luck...
I can sympathize with you! I did 4 months of therapy and cortisone shot before the insurance would allow the MRI. My bicep tendon had ruptured so it was too late to do anything with it by the time I got into surgery, so they just repaired the rotator cuff. Very frustrating.
Hope you feel better!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: