Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #61
lnhstl
Earning My Ears

Hello Disboutiquers!!! First time poster here. I found out about Disboutiquers through one of mom2rtk's trip reports and thought I would join in the fun!

So without further ado here are some projects I just made. We are going on our first ever family WDW trip in 2 weeks and I have made two of each of the following dresses for my twin daughters. The dresses, as well as the entire trip, is a complete surprise for them, so it has been a challenge to work on the dresses while they're at school and hide the material before they get home.

For our first MK day, when we plan to meet Merida:

For our second MK day when we have breakfast reservations at CRT:

DH - WDW 1986 - offsite
Me - WDW 1987 - offsite
DHMeTwin DD's - WDW - May 2013 - Poly
lnhstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #62
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Okay, took me forever to find this. Hopefully you'll can see it!!

Teresajoy gets credit for the Buzz dress!
I hadn't seen all of those. May I just say, I LOVE that Etch has MOM written on him, and that Rex is under the traffic cone. SO original!!!!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #63
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnhstl View Post
Hello Disboutiquers!!! First time poster here. I found out about Disboutiquers through one of mom2rtk's trip reports and thought I would join in the fun!

So without further ado here are some projects I just made. We are going on our first ever family WDW trip in 2 weeks and I have made two of each of the following dresses for my twin daughters. The dresses, as well as the entire trip, is a complete surprise for them, so it has been a challenge to work on the dresses while they're at school and hide the material before they get home.

Welcome!!! These dresses are great!! What pattern is this?
We will be down about the same time as you. I'll keep my eye out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
I hadn't seen all of those. May I just say, I LOVE that Etch has MOM written on him, and that Rex is under the traffic cone. SO original!!!!
Aren't the shirt great!! Jessica made all of those for us. I LOVED LOVED LOVED my Rex shirt!! It just makes me giggle!
teresajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #64
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have fun on the first ever family visit. Those dresses look completely practical in a fabulously princess-ie way. Hope you enjoy their surprise!!

I have only been on this thread through two versions, but I'll say that this thread has encouraged me to buy an embroidery machine and get more serious about my sewing. Serious enough to clean my sewing room.

Loves seeing all the pictures from trips past. Can't wait to see those for trips that are yet to come!!

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #65
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
Aren't the shirt great!! Jessica made all of those for us. I LOVED LOVED LOVED my Rex shirt!! It just makes me giggle!
Nice, Jessica!!!!

[And, just have to throw out there once again, that I knew HeatherSue and TeresaJoy BEFORE they were the Disney sewing queens and Disney experts (well, I think they've always been Disney ADDICTS). I'm pretty proud to count them as friends. They've even had dinner at my house. Though one of them was actually CRASHING the party. He he he...]
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #66
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:

[/URL]

[/URL]
Great job. I can't imagine keeping it a surprise while sewing two of everything. I have twin boys so making two of each thing seems totally normal to me, when I just sew one I feel off my routine... I am sure you girls will love the surprise and the dresses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post

I have only been on this thread through two versions, but I'll say that this thread has encouraged me to buy an embroidery machine and get more serious about my sewing. Serious enough to clean my sewing room.
It really is a gateway drug, this thread. I too have added an embroidery machine (2 actually...) in the just-under-a-year I have been hanging around. Not to mention a small fortune in embroidery designs, enough fabric to make a slipcover for a small continent and the unending desire to go back to WDW and so we are planning another trip. ENABLERS, all of you!

I just got my 1st order (speaking of addictions.) from Girl Charlee for knits to make shirts for my boys for the trip. Branching out from my beloved bowling shirts, gasp! (I have at least 1 set of those in the agenda though, worry you not!) I really want to do Be Our Guest for their birthday, but even if we can't get a dinner reservation I am hoping we can do lunch. Anyway, I also got the "Jackson" raglan pattern from Funktional threads to try out. It seems to have a lot of great upcycling potential too. The knits are in the washer so I doubt I will get going on them tonight and tomorrow we have plans all day... Darn real life getting in the way of my sewing!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #67
mommy2AbIzEli
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubie View Post
Teresa, this is for you.

Sept 2007 - the first thing I ever sewed.
I love this outfit & adore the fabric. Wish they still had some like that around!

Quote:

welcome! I'm new here as well. I lived in stl for the first 21 years of my life! A lot of my fam still lives there. We visit my sis & her family at least once a year in the summer!! I also have twin girls!! they will b 8 the 29th of may, so we have lots in common!!!

mommy2AbIzEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #68
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving for the hospital in a few hours....and we should have a baby some time tonight.
WOW!! SO Exciting!!!
(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #69
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Viola in her Cinderelly dress last week at Magic Kingdom!

Viola in her Belle-inspired dress!

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!
Beautiful dresses and what a cute model!

Quote:
That's the kind of thing I need to know. THANKS!
Glad that I can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

And it was great. This design is huge and would have been such a pain the old way working inside-out.

So thank you to whomever suggested that 2-3 threads ago.

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.
Great job on the onesies. Hooray for a new desk! Hopefully you will find someone who will treasure the PE770 very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittette View Post
Ok, gotta rant -
I took the day off of sewing to take my husband's car to get a tune-up and oil change (We're driving his car to Florida, and he wanted me to get it done so we wouldn't run out of time - What does he think, that I'm a procrastinator, oh, wait, I am) Anyhoo, I posted earlier how I can hear my Cinderella fabric calling my name. Well, now I'm stuck an hour from home in a hotel for the night (a treat in any other circumstance) because they didn't put any oil BACK in the car!!!! Hubby thinks they left the plug off, but the end result is the same. No sewing for me!
Actually, my mother's brand new Ellissimo is in the car; along with some cute red fabric with white polka dots that I couldn't resist today. If the dang thing wasn't so heavy, I'd go get it and spend my night having a ball.
Oh no! I hope the car didn't suffer permanent damage from the shop's mistake. Is the shop going to do anything about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
I have been up all night...waiting for a call from the hospital. My oldest daughter is being induced. She has been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks... they finally decided she was at a critical stage and decided to induce labor. If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving for the hospital in a few hours....and we should have a baby some time tonight.

I am my daughter's back up coach since my wonderful son in law is a bit squeamish and isn't sure he can make it the whole way! (he really is wonderful...we lucked out in the son in law department!) Thought about making something cute for the baby..but I promised myself I would wait to find out if we have an Alexander or an Amelia before I make anything else!

Nini
I hope the delivery will go smoothly and your son-in-law manages ok with the process. Please let us know if you will sewing for Alexander or Amelia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphalens View Post
I miss this thread . . . but I haven't gotten to do any Disney sewing lately . . . I need to just come hang out over here so y'all can hold me accountable for the sewing I need to do (not Disney) - like the Bosco BowTie's I need to make!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah-jane View Post
Hello,

I am have lurked on the Disboutiquers thread for years but I'm a very novice seamstress, so I don't do a lot of posting. I have been given a challenge and am preparing to meet it, and I just knew you all would have ideas. We are taking my daughter to Disney for her first trip this September and we are booked in to BBB. However the only thing my girl wants is an Aurora dress - but NOT the pink one - the blue one from the movie (which she loves). I have talks to Disney and this is not a possibility anywhere in the parks. So, I'm looking at sewing it. A few years ago I ended up making my eldest daughter a Rapunzel dress because they weren't available in parks yet, and I took an existing flower girl dress and sewed an over skirt and bodice that laced over. I am wondering where to start for Aurora - I have an old Cindy dress I can start with but it isn't quite the right shape. I am worried about sewing it all from scratch, but maybe it wouldn't be too hard? Ideas?
Welcome another fellow Calgarian! Yee Haw! I see that many people have suggested the Simply Sweet with the princess tutorial. If you want to, I am happy to help you out with your sewing questions since it will just be a local call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymom1218 View Post
Hello everyone, I haven't checked in for a while. We leave in 6 days for a trip to WDW. we will be a large group this time as my Sister and her 2 kids are coming with us making us a group of 7. I finally got an embroidery machine and I figured I would make tops for my DDs and my niece. Easier said than done. I am a huge procrastinator and now it is nipping me in the butt.

Again, remember I leave in 6 days. I am making Bettyann tops for all 3 girls for their trip to BBB all I have done on those is the appliques. I managed to finish 2 Nemo Bettyanns for my DD's as my niece doesn't like Nemo. My girls are both on the spectrum and typically only like to wear pillow case type tops because they are loose. I have tried other patterns to no avail. we tried the Bettyann and for the first 20 min all was well and now they bother them. I had to open the back and add longer elastic to make it looser. I still have 9-12 tops to make in these last 6 days well 4-5 really as we leave at 6:50 Am. So those last 9-12 tops will be pillow case tops as they go together so easily and quickly and won't cause meltdowns in my children LOL. Also, if I have time I am wanting to make a Vanessa top for myself (the adult version of the Bettyann). Here is what I have done so far:

Looks like you have been busy and will be busy in the next few days! Hopefully you can complete the projects you planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
This is one project I got done this weekend, a shirt for my nephew for his 6th birthday next week. I found the fabric at the Sewing Expo and it is perfect cubs colors. I made him a Broncos one for Christmas and so I thought I would do a Cub one too, bought the fabric and 2 days later got a text from my brother that he was requesting a cubs one. Perfect timing!

I wish the logo on the back were higher, and I had some sort of total buttonhole failure so I messed up the top buttonhole, so I made a little felt patch and covered it up. It's for a 6 year old, so I think he won't care. I had my son try it on, he deemed it "too big, we should give it to Aydin." so that worked out perfectly!
Cute shirt. I am sure your nephew will love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Okay, took me forever to find this. Hopefully you'll can see it!!

Teresajoy gets credit for the Buzz dress!
Wow! I remember when that meet took place. Thanks for sharing the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
Please forgive my other post. It took me a while to figure out how to update my signature. My baby will be 12 on Friday. It is hard to believe. We also had another addition for my signature. We booked a trip for Nov/Dec. We are soooooo excited. It has been 4 years since we have been. We are hoping they will post free dining later in the year for that time. But we are happy with what we have for now.

Just need to plan goodies now. I see bowling shirts, a park bag, water bottle holders and anything else we might "NEED". Tshirts are a given. I hope the boys will still put up with their mom wanting customs. Last trip I made matching test track shirts. We rode late at night near close and they said since we were such big fans we could ride again. It is one of our best magic memories. "Remember when we got to ride test track over and over again." This will be our last family trip before my oldest heads to college. Wow I feel old. But not too old for Disney.
One can never be too old for Disney (or Disney customs for that matter)! We will be there at the same time (so will Nini and Sandi). We should plan to meet up!

Quote:

Welcome! The dresses look beautiful. I am sure your daugthers will look fab in those dresses!

Diane - I lost your quote, but to answer your question, I appliqued the Minnie as Princess Leia pattern on a shirt (for May 4th - or "May the fourth be with you" day). I need to get a picture of it still.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #70
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah-jane View Post
Hello,

I am have lurked on the Disboutiquers thread for years but I'm a very novice seamstress, so I don't do a lot of posting. I have been given a challenge and am preparing to meet it, and I just knew you all would have ideas. We are taking my daughter to Disney for her first trip this September and we are booked in to BBB. However the only thing my girl wants is an Aurora dress - but NOT the pink one - the blue one from the movie (which she loves). I have talks to Disney and this is not a possibility anywhere in the parks. So, I'm looking at sewing it. A few years ago I ended up making my eldest daughter a Rapunzel dress because they weren't available in parks yet, and I took an existing flower girl dress and sewed an over skirt and bodice that laced over. I am wondering where to start for Aurora - I have an old Cindy dress I can start with but it isn't quite the right shape. I am worried about sewing it all from scratch, but maybe it wouldn't be too hard? Ideas?
I second the etsy idea. It is a great source for inspiration!!
(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #71
brooke789
Mouseketeer

Anyone made kids capes? If so, done anything Disney theme. My DD has been wearing a bag (cloth shopping bag) around her neck and calling it her cape. I'm thinking I should buy/make them (twins) one for their birthday.

Side note -- 10 days until our FIRST trip to WDW!! Can't wait!
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #72
lnhstl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
Welcome!!! These dresses are great!! What pattern is this?
We will be down about the same time as you. I'll keep my eye out for you.
It is Simplicity 2377, Style F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Have fun on the first ever family visit. Those dresses look completely practical in a fabulously princess-ie way. Hope you enjoy their surprise!!
That was exactly my goal - I wanted the girls to be "dressed up" but didn't want them walking around in itchy costumes all day. Having a simple cotton dress, but still a princess fabric, fit the bill perfectly.

DH - WDW 1986 - offsite
Me - WDW 1987 - offsite
DHMeTwin DD's - WDW - May 2013 - Poly
lnhstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #73
smittette
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke789 View Post
Anyone made kids capes? If so, done anything Disney theme. My DD has been wearing a bag (cloth shopping bag) around her neck and calling it her cape. I'm thinking I should buy/make them (twins) one for their birthday.

I haven't done any capes for Disney (although I was looking at pics of Snow White earlier and realized she often has one, so I'm considering it), but we did a kingly birthday party years ago - son was 5 ish, he's about to be 20. I made simple capes for all the party goers. Just a hemmed rectangle with a ribbon run through the top (like a rod pocket on a curtain). Just make sure you attach the ribbon either in the middle or at each end of cape after you gather it up a suitable amount or the ribbon will pull out. Then just tie it on the child.
I used whatever fabric I had a large enough size of, including a few from the skirts of my old prom dresses. If you have embroidery capability, it would be really easy to Disneyize them.
smittette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #74
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:
Nice, Jessica!!!!

[And, just have to throw out there once again, that I knew HeatherSue and TeresaJoy BEFORE they were the Disney sewing queens and Disney experts (well, I think they've always been Disney ADDICTS). I'm pretty proud to count them as friends. They've even had dinner at my house. Though one of them was actually CRASHING the party. He he he...]
Yes, you knew us "when"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke789 View Post

Jeanne wrote up a tutorial http://disboutique.blogspot.com/2008...e-by-jham.html
teresajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #75
*Toadstool*
Smocking Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2AbIzEli View Post
I love this outfit & adore the fabric. Wish they still had some like that around!

welcome! I'm new here as well. I lived in stl for the first 21 years of my life! A lot of my fam still lives there. We visit my sis & her family at least once a year in the summer!! I also have twin girls!! they will b 8 the 29th of may, so we have lots in common!!!
Oh it's still around. It is in my hoard forever pile of fabric!!

And this is my official "check in"!!

Oh, I'm supposed to post a picture? I'll have to come back and do that!!

Last edited by *Toadstool*; 05-01-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Doh!
*Toadstool* is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: