Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #706
scrap_heaven
Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Thanks! We are definitely a monster loving family.
The purple/lime/teal polka-dot is from Hobby lobby. They also have one in the same colors with line-art flowers which is cute.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thank you! I am going to see if a gf can get it for me! I am in Canada and we don't have hobby lobby's
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #707
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieckers View Post
Quick question... How many of you make these things for a living? I would love to quit my full time job and work from home but I'm not sure if that is just a dream or something I can make a reality.
I do not sell my items. I think others have given you some honest feedback. One thing that keeps from selling is the horror stories I hear from others who sell their homemade projects. Having to deal with the negative customers is enough to keep me from trying to sell my creations. Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2kmta View Post
Here's the shirts I made for our January trip to Disney.
Our 1st day, Chef Mickey's. I made iron on appliques but I got too busy and didn't stitch them down...Big mistake! Unfortunately I did it with most of the shirts. They looked good while we where at Disney but they fell apart as soon as I washed them. Lesson learned!
[IMG][/IMG]

Freezer paper stenciled Mickey hands for Epcot.
[IMG][/IMG]

Mickey Tie-Dye for our 1st day at Magic Kingdom. I made these in the winter and I couldn't find a short sleeved shirt for my daughter. So, I bought a boys shirt and cut it up and tied it off 80's style. That's why it's not laying right. Apparently my fringe skills have faded over the last 25 years.
[IMG][/IMG]

Animal Kingdom iron ons. Some are hand stitched some have no stitch at all.
[IMG][/IMG]

Hollywood Studios- At this point I just wanted them done. Nothing is stitched and everything fell apart when we got home. I'm so mad at myself because I loved these.
[IMG][/IMG]

Magic Kingdom round 2. The shirts are kind of hidden but you get the idea.
[IMG][/IMG]

The trip home Peace, heart and Mickey freezer paper stencil. We couldn't get all the eyeliner off from the pirates league.
[IMG][/IMG]

And here's what our Christmas tree looked like on Christmas morning. We think out Elf on a shelf did it???
[IMG][/IMG]
I love all the shirts you made. You did a nice job customizing the tie dye shirt for your DD. I really like how big the Mickeys are on the kids shirts. Too bad they didn't hold up, but I am glad they made it thru your trip. Oh my, that elf of yours is a trickster. Your kids are so cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2jack View Post
Hello everyone

I am a bit of a lurker here. I love custom clothes and desperately wish I could be as talented as all of you! My sewing skills are very basic at best. I managed to sew up a circle skirt for my DD and myself this past May for our trip to WDW but that is about the extent of my sewing. I would like to get into it more and would like to start making some dresses for DD. Recently I have been dreaming of purchasing an embroidery machine. I purchased several embroidered shirts for our past trip and they weren't cheap! So, the main reason for my post is this... how difficult is it to learn to use an embroidery machine? Can someone with limited sewing skills learn to use one? What is a good basic machine to buy? I was looking at some on Amazon that weren't too expensive. Should I buy one from there or would I be better off going to a specialty sewing store? Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thank you!!
Welcome! I know lots of folks have the Brother 770 Embroidery machine. I knew how to sew before I got my machine but I can't imagine the learning curve would be too hard. But if you have a local store that sells the machines it might be nice to be able to take a class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Hello everyone. Just a quickie . . .

We're in Maryland for the funeral of my husband's former sister-in-law. I knew her, but not well.

I'm posting because even though I haven't been very faithful in my reading, scanning or posting, it occurred to me that I don't think Diane has been around lately. (I think she's in Maryland which is what made me think of her.)

Diane, if you're scanning, just hope all is okay. I know you had a couple family health things going on. Thinking of you.
Hi Cheryl - sorry to hear that you are at a funeral. I do believe Diane is in WDW this week. She will be bummed she missed you.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #708
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2jack View Post
Hello everyone

I am a bit of a lurker here. I love custom clothes and desperately wish I could be as talented as all of you! My sewing skills are very basic at best. I managed to sew up a circle skirt for my DD and myself this past May for our trip to WDW but that is about the extent of my sewing. I would like to get into it more and would like to start making some dresses for DD. Recently I have been dreaming of purchasing an embroidery machine. I purchased several embroidered shirts for our past trip and they weren't cheap! So, the main reason for my post is this... how difficult is it to learn to use an embroidery machine? Can someone with limited sewing skills learn to use one? What is a good basic machine to buy? I was looking at some on Amazon that weren't too expensive. Should I buy one from there or would I be better off going to a specialty sewing store? Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thank you!!
I bought a second hand machine and didn't have time to or money to take lessons. Well that was a huge mistake! Took me about 2 years to feel really comfortable using the machine. Even if you get a second hand machine consider taking a class at your local sewing machine shop. They will teach you about different interfacing and threads and what to do when the machine acts up. When buying a machine buy one that take a thumb drive so that you can download designs from the internet. Finally, have fun!

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #709
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2kmta View Post
Here's the shirts I made for our January trip to Disney.
Our 1st day, Chef Mickey's. I made iron on appliques but I got too busy and didn't stitch them down...Big mistake! Unfortunately I did it with most of the shirts. They looked good while we where at Disney but they fell apart as soon as I washed them. Lesson learned!
[IMG][/IMG]

Everything is just adorable - and the kiddos are just sweet - it looks like you made some fantastic memories... And I love the tree!

Here's a few of my latest projects...

erieckers I run my own sewing business from home... It's a lot of time - a lot of $$, very difficult to get a "fan base" and build a reputation. Not to mention my "wage" would make most of you laugh... even though my things do tend to sell for a higher price, the time and materials I put into them barely give me any profit at all. The only reason I continue to do it day after day, is because I truly love what I do and I love the people I get to meet because of it... I also love that people seem to really like what I make - so that keeps me plugging along.

I've said it to anyone who asks, and I will say it here- I could not do any of this if it wasn't for my DH, he has a good job and he is willing to let me do what I love because it makes me happy. If it wasn't for him, I'd still be at my regular job 40 hours/week. I am very lucky and DH gets all the credit.

D~

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #710
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

Everything is just adorable - and the kiddos are just sweet - it looks like you made some fantastic memories... And I love the tree!

erieckers I run my own sewing business from home... It's a lot of time - a lot of $$, very difficult to get a "fan base" and build a reputation. Not to mention my "wage" would make most of you laugh... even though my things do tend to sell for a higher price, the time and materials I put into them barely give me any profit at all. The only reason I continue to do it day after day, is because I truly love what I do and I love the people I get to meet because of it... I also love that people seem to really like what I make - so that keeps me plugging along.

I've said it to anyone who asks, and I will say it here- I could not do any of this if it wasn't for my DH, he has a good job and he is willing to let me do what I love because it makes me happy. If it wasn't for him, I'd still be at my regular job 40 hours/week. I am very lucky and DH gets all the credit.

D~

D~
I love the toy story bag SO much! (And I love that you and I picked the same monster fabric )

I agree with the best husband thing. Though mine also lets me stay home with my little guys which is hard work and an even more laughable wage! But amazing and awesome.

Off to see where the bidding is on the ts bag...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #711
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap_heaven View Post
Thank you! I am going to see if a gf can get it for me! I am in Canada and we don't have hobby lobby's
Hobby lobby ships to Canada!

Joann ships too, and I do find their shipping prices decent.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #712
nannye
DIS Veteran

Ladies, if you are making something for a child, what general measurements do you get?

I've got
General store size
Chest
hips
waist
top of shoulders to thigh
top of shoulders to knee
top of shoulders to calf
skirt length

anything else?

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #713
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Just popping in with a very quick hello I have not been sewing. I initially had elbow pain about three months ago and then it progressed to my shoulder. After an MRI it turns out I have a high grade rotator cuff tear. I'm being treated initially with steroid injections. The first one didn't work but I just got a second in a different location and it's feeling better. I will start PT once we return from our vacation if I don't get full range of motion back (I am no where near close to full range). I also have adhesive capsulitis which translated means "frozen shoulder" so I'm very limited in movement of my dominant arm. I did do one shirt on my embroidery machine the other day though, so I'm making slow progress. Hopefully this summer I'll get caught up on this thread and will go back and drool over everyone's fabulous work. I do miss you all but some days being on the computer too long hurts my arm.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #714
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Just popping in with a very quick hello I have not been sewing. I initially had elbow pain about three months ago and then it progressed to my shoulder. After an MRI it turns out I have a high grade rotator cuff tear. I'm being treated initially with steroid injections. The first one didn't work but I just got a second in a different location and it's feeling better. I will start PT once we return from our vacation if I don't get full range of motion back (I am no where near close to full range). I also have adhesive capsulitis which translated means "frozen shoulder" so I'm very limited in movement of my dominant arm. I did do one shirt on my embroidery machine the other day though, so I'm making slow progress. Hopefully this summer I'll get caught up on this thread and will go back and drool over everyone's fabulous work. I do miss you all but some days being on the computer too long hurts my arm.
I was thinking of you today and was going to PM you. Thanks for posting. I hope your shoulder feels better soon.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #715
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Hello everyone. Just a quickie . . .

We're in Maryland for the funeral of my husband's former sister-in-law. I knew her, but not well.

I'm posting because even though I haven't been very faithful in my reading, scanning or posting, it occurred to me that I don't think Diane has been around lately. (I think she's in Maryland which is what made me think of her.)

Diane, if you're scanning, just hope all is okay. I know you had a couple family health things going on. Thinking of you.
Sorry to hear that you have to attend a funeral. Diane and her family are having a good time at Disney World this week.

Quote:

D~

D~
I like all the sets that you made! I really like the Incredibles set (after I embroidered the Incredibles logo on a polo for my father-in-law for Father's Day). I think it is great that you can do something that you like day in, day out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Ladies, if you are making something for a child, what general measurements do you get?

I've got
General store size
Chest
hips
waist
top of shoulders to knee
top of shoulders to calf
skirt length

anything else?
I would check against the list for Big Gives since we use those measurements to create outfits.

Quote:
Andrea, welcome back! I was getting worried about you since we haven't heard from you in so long. I am sorry to hear that you had a rotator cuff tear and a frozen shoulder. That ought to make things tough. I pray that you will regain your range of motion quickly. How are the rest of your family doing? Are B & A out for the summer yet?

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #716
darnheather
DIS Veteran

@DMGeurts those are gorgeous! My favorite is the pirate Mickey.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #717
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

Quote:

D~

D~
Everything is awesome! Cannot not decide which I like best because I love them all!
scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #718
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

DMGeurts, as usual, all bags are AWESOME! "Crush" the turtle is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.
sewdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #719
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am sorry to hear of your shoulder problems. Nothing is worse than health problems. I am glad that at least your second injection helped. I hope everything goes well for you.
sewdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #720
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post

I've got
General store size
Chest
hips
waist
top of shoulders to knee
top of shoulders to calf
skirt length

anything else?
I used to make costumes for the theater - I would add:

Neck to waist