Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #661
sewmess
DIS Veteran

RuthIE - Hi! Some of our group have etsy stores listed on their signatures, so you may with to check with them directly. I am in no way secure enough in my sewing to make adult clothing, or I'd volunteer. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Speaking of customs: working at the science center I see a lot of kids and I'm almost positive I've seen some Disney customs. Like, just a few minutes ago, two darling little girls were wearing what were absolutely Mickey dots skirts. I'm never in a position to ask, but I do admire. So if there are any B'ham area sewers with custom work

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #662
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
RuthIE - Hi! Some of our group have etsy stores listed on their signatures, so you may with to check with them directly. I am in no way secure enough in my sewing to make adult clothing, or I'd volunteer. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Speaking of customs: working at the science center I see a lot of kids and I'm almost positive I've seen some Disney customs. Like, just a few minutes ago, two darling little girls were wearing what were absolutely Mickey dots skirts. I'm never in a position to ask, but I do admire. So if there are any B'ham area sewers with custom work
Hi Ruth thanks for answering me...sigh...I am thinking its going to be hard to find someone Like I said saw NOTHING on etsy just super uber short running skirts and lots and lots of tulle ? tutus not at all what I have in mind...even if I was 30 yrs younger and 30 lbs lighter

I have this vision in my head for exactly what I want I WISH at times I had not been such a Daddy's girl/tomboy and took my Aunt & Nana up on the offer to learn all this...cross your fingers for me and if ANYONE would like to maybe come to my aid pleas PM I appreciate you ladies...
RuthIE

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #663
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Doll clothes are so small, which always gives me trouble.

Here are a few things I made for our Universal trip:

These were for our Universal day - Sponge Bob and Patrick theme. The yellow shirt is for Curtis and I wore the pink one.

Casey wore the pink tank and her dad wore the yellow shirt

The kids wore these our first day at Islands of Adventure when we went to Harry Potter "land". When I was packing I could not find my son's shirt anywhere. Everyone looked but we could not find it. I ended up making another one the night before we left. Of course, I found it yesterday on the front porch where I took it to take some pictures.

I made these for my daughter as "extras". My son wore his Scooby Doo shirt and Casey wore her Mystery Machine shirt after they got soaked in Curious George's playland. We never found Scooby and Shaggy this day I think because we were in TS Andrea and they were not out.

These are my first "felt" designs and I am planning on taking off the appliques and reusing the shirts since we don't have much of a use for them after our trip.

I made a few Dr. Suess themed items but I have to get some pictures of them.

Curtis wore this shirt to his end of year movie day since he was planning to watch Monsters Inc. I had just purchased this design so I quickly made this shirt for him. One item done for our Oct trip.

I made these outfits for my nieces and nephews. There are two sets of cousins one boy and one girl, live near each other so I wanted to send something for everyone. I just appliqued some beach dresses from Walmart and both of the girls really love them.

These shirts were for the boys. My sister loved the shrimp boat since she calls her son Bubba. She calls it his Bubba Gump shirt but I just thought the design was cute.

I also made this for my daughter but I don't think she is a fan. She doesn't like that you can't tell what the letters are on the pocket. Of course there is no explaining the monogram concept to her.
Everything looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Everything looks great. I love the Harry Potter. I admit to never having seen Sponge Bob, and my kids haven't either. When they were given Sponge Bob toothbrushes at the dentist they said, "Look mine has CHEESE!" which made me laugh.

My embroidery machine woes continue to depress me, but I took my kids to the splash park this morning for a few hours and they went down for a LONG nap afterward (I could have easily slept too!) so I finished my Dana Scientific Seamstress sew-along top today. It's pretty much outside my comfort zone fabric/color/style wise, but I am pretty happy with it. I am a t-shirts and not much else sort of person. Sadly I had a LOT of trouble with this, not any of which was the pattern, it was actually quite easy. I did the ruffle over like 6 times, first two times I sewed it to the wrong side... Then I tried to do the ruffle on the serger has I have done with most ruffling recently and it didn't work (though a sample fabric would work so I think it was the tiny ruffle or something.) so I had to cut off the ruffle so many times. The rest was OK, but ran out of bobbin thread about 1.5 inches from the end, the last 25 stitches of the whole thing. But I got through it. And it is done.

Sorry you had trouble with your top, it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
My older son is a Disney lover. He's joined me on a couple of my "solo" trips. It's the younger one who gave Disneyland a 3 out of 10! Kids!

My older son and I just did a quickie trip to Las Vegas to see "Love," the Beatles inspired Cirque show. Our tickets were so expensive (I bought them on Monday for a Wednesday trip) that I now have enough points for a trip to Los Angeles.

I know, I know.

When junior son graduated from power school in South Carolina he wanted to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. We flew to SC, rented a car and drove to FL. We drove by lots of Disney signs, I could see the top of the Tower of Terror, but he didn't want to go to Disney, just Busch Gardens.

Placemats on my next post. I really do like them.

According to the rules on page one I see it is mandatory to share all sewing whether or not Disney related.

2.You MUST share pictures of everything (and unfortunately, we do mean EVERYTHING)!

I offer this post in order to comply with all regulations:

Has any one made the uklass dollhouse? I gave it a go yesterday. I went back and forth between making it as directed and modifying it. I went as far as I needed to go to get the general idea of how to make one and quickly discovered it would be too small for my broccoli family, so am done for now.

Just wondering if anyone else has made one. I can see how they’d be fun to make and personalize if you had someone (other than broccoli) to make one for.

The house . . .

Too small for Mr. Broccoli, let alone the rest of the bunch . . .

Open house . . .

You get the idea . . .

I’ll eventually make another one.

When I do the preview the pictures are HUGE, but I think I've found out in the past that they shrink. If not, sorry!!!
Very cute house. I made one similar to that for my girls many many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
Finally I get to show you some of my sewing.

First up are the quilts I made Izzy's kindergarten teachers.

And a round neck dress for Izzy.

Must do her 4th of July outfit soon.
Those quilts are beautiful and Izzy and her dress are adorable.

I was planning to post pictures of the projects I've worked on this week but photobucket is being uncooperative, so I will have to post them later.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #664
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Photobucket and I seem to be getting along now so here are the projects I've worked on this week.

The first is a Hello Kitty sundress, hat and there are pink shorts under the dress.

My grandson's favorite toys are balls so the fabric for this shirt was perfect.

A friend asked me to make a bear for her from a suit that belonged to her father-in-law who died last year.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #665
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
Photobucket and I seem to be getting along now so here are the projects I've worked on this week.

The first is a Hello Kitty sundress, hat and there are pink shorts under the dress.

A friend asked me to make a bear for her from a suit that belonged to her father-in-law who died last year.
The bear from the suit is a very nice memorial .

I love the hello kitty dress

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #666
darnheather
DIS Veteran

My turn for machine woes. My embroidery machine was not tracking properly yesterday and I needed to get Izzy's 4th outfit done. I took the machine in today and of course it worked for the service man. Anyway we scolded me for using spray glue and canned air. I didn't know those were no-no's. He's going to service it and check the tracking with the computer. Sigh. Didn't need more money out of my pocket this month.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #667
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

I am SO not going to be able to keep up. Way too busy with this guy:

This is Loki. He was rescued from a shelter in TX along with his 9 brothers and sisters and mom when they were 1 day old, same day they were scheduled to be put down. A wonderful rescue found a brave foster family who raised 10 puppies until they were old enough to travel up north and be adopted (mom now lives happily with the foster family) and I was lucky enough to get this guy for myself. Hes a lab mix..no idea what the mix is of, but he is super smart, and super sweet and I am head over heels for him!

On the sewing front...my mother surprised me with a Brother Pe770..so I have been making tee shirts left and right And I made this dress:

close up of applique:

Off to take Loki out to pee and collapse into bed...hopefully will find time to read up on what everyone has been doing!

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #668
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My turn for machine woes. My embroidery machine was not tracking properly yesterday and I needed to get Izzy's 4th outfit done. I took the machine in today and of course it worked for the service man. Anyway we scolded me for using spray glue and canned air. I didn't know those were no-no's. He's going to service it and check the tracking with the computer. Sigh. Didn't need more money out of my pocket this month.
I hope it's an easy and inexpensive fix. I also use spray glue and was told it isn't a good idea because it doesn't hold consistently but I've not had issues... It is one of the only things the local places HASN'T blamed me for causing the issues. They've criticized my stabilizer, thread, bobbins and bobbin thread, needles and my methods. (Oh and btw still broken. And all
Those suspicious supplies working fine on my other machine...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkNH View Post

This is Loki. He was rescued from a shelter in TX along with his 9 brothers and sisters and mom when they were 1 day old, same day they were scheduled to be put down. A wonderful rescue found a brave foster family who raised 10 puppies until they were old enough to travel up north and be adopted (mom now lives happily with the foster family) and I was lucky enough to get this guy for myself. Hes a lab mix..no idea what the mix is of, but he is super smart, and super sweet and I am head over heels for him!

On the sewing front...my mother surprised me with a Brother Pe770..so I have been making tee shirts left and right And I made this dress:

close up of applique:

Off to take Loki out to pee and collapse into bed...hopefully will find time to read up on what everyone has been doing!
I love your dog and I'm so happy you got an embroidery machine. (And that I kept mine as a backup!) your dress is very cute.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #669
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post

Love everything but the bear is my favorite.

Quote:
I only use canned air on one of me machines to low dustier after using a brush. My brother machines hate spray adhesive but I can use it on my janome.

Quote:

close up of applique:

Loki is precious and love our projects.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #670
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

close up of applique:

Loki is adorable and I'm sure he will keep you busy. The dress is adorable too, I love the little snail.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #671
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope it's an easy and inexpensive fix. I also use spray glue and was told it isn't a good idea because it doesn't hold consistently but I've not had issues... It is one of the only things the local places HASN'T blamed me for causing the issues. They've criticized my stabilizer, thread, bobbins and bobbin thread, needles and my methods. (Oh and btw still broken. And all
Those suspicious supplies working fine on my other machine...)
Oh I've been scolded for the bobbins too. Sorry yours is still broken.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #672
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Love everything but the bear is my favorite.

I only use canned air on one of me machines to low dustier after using a brush. My brother machines hate spray adhesive but I can use it on my janome.

Loki is precious and love our projects.
Yeah, I have a Janome 350e and never got scolded for the canned air before. Now I have a mini-air compressor that really blasts but probably won't use it on the embroidery machine any longer. I don't like being told off.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #673
darnheather
DIS Veteran

@TinkNH your dog and the sun dress are super sweet! I love the little gathered sleeves on the dress.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #674
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

Quote:

I love your dog and I'm so happy you got an embroidery machine. (And that I kept mine as a backup!) your dress is very cute.

I had told her about that on Fb and that was what prompted her to get me one She wants me to try to make a go of making things and working from home..we shall see! the twinado is off to school in september

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #675
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Countdown to Monsters U

Our little family is SO excited for Monsters University, I can't stand it. We are going on Sunday since that is hubby's day off, and I seriously wish I could fast-forward through the week to get there. (Especially since my darling children have decided to reject napping and the days are SOOOOOOOO long without that break.)

Here are the outfits I have been working on this week for my boys for the movie:

They are both the same (to prevent fights.) so the one on the left is the front, the right is the back. I do have enough of the Monsters fabric to make them bowling shirts later on if I find time.
I sorta love this guy "taped" to the back of the shirt:

AND...

(One of my sons took this for me, not too bad.)

I made myself another Dana top. I saw this fabric a few weeks ago and it screamed Monsters Inc to me, so I decided I needed a Monsters Inc shirt too. My friend whom I made the bowling shirt for our Disney trip is coming with us to the movie, so I am sure we will be quite the sight!

(to refresh, this is the shirt I made her)

Thinking my husband NEEDS a Monster shirt, maybe I will do the Mike W face on a Lime Green shirt this week sometime so he doesn't feel left out!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: