Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #616
n5749w
Mouseketeer

Hey everyone! RMAMom told me about this thread. I am new to sewing and super excited to read all your tips and tricks.
Majesty of the Seas 2009 (Abigail's and Mom's first)
Carnival Triumph 2010 (Last minute cruise)
Disney Dream 2013 (Last minute cruise and Olivia's first)
Disney Fantasy 2014 (Olivia's Birthday Cruise and Mike and Becky's first)
Disney Magic 2015 (Olivia's Birthday Cruise)
n5749w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #617
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Flora...what day are you going to Biergarten? I can't remember your dates, but they kinda go with mine...we are doing Biergarten on Saturday the 7th at 6:30.... We could share a table...but then again, there are 7 of us and 3 are kids... and two of the others act like kids (like father like son!)

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #618
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
I have two inspiration questions.

First I have this panel fabric and want to make something clothing or purse/luggage wise from it. It's kind of on the thin side.

Second, I need inspiration for EPCOT. I have this adorable fabric but I don't know what to do with it or even if I want to use it for EPCOT.
I think the fabric can work w/ either epcot or small world. It's really cute. I do think adding all the flag mickey heads might be overkill though. I like the dress rtruba posted, it's subtle and could go either way (or both!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I hope Chiara and baby are resting comfortably tonight!

Yay for getting all your ADRs, Flora!

Here's what I made this week with my new "name brand" fabrics. They were really nice to work with! I can see a new addiction in the making! The dress is the Usha Twirl by Tikatuly and the hair bow is an in the hoop flower set from Embroidery Garden.

Regards,
C.
The dress is adorable. I am sure your daughter loves the twirling.

I generally only use the high-quality designers fabrics for quilts since I feel like those will stick around longer. I have lots that I get as scraps for embroidery though from fatquartershop when they have their grab bags of end-of-both scraps. Plus it gives a huge variety of designs I would probably not otherwise have. I am addicted to their FQ precut selections too for quilts, I think I have 3 bundles waiting patiently for me to make quilts from them. I did get a few cuts for my kids' outfits for our disney trip, though, since I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtruba View Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I don't know if this worked or not, but this is what I did with similar fabric

Rebekah
I think this is really cute and like I said before, could be a great Epcot or Small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWCP96 View Post
I seldom post here but I am always lurking and love seeing everyone's creations.

I bought an applique from someone and it was put on top of fleece. I havE sewn many appliques on clothes before but never one that is on fleece so I am stumped how to sew it on. The fleece is white but it will be going on a colored t-shirt. Do I trim the fleece before I sew it on and do I need to use stabilizer with it?

My trip is in 2 weeks and I am coming down to the wire.
I would imagine it is on fleece for the same reason people do things on felt, since it doesn't fray. I would think you can just stitch around the border, leaving the fleece in place (unless it isn't trimmed to the shape of the outline, in which case I would do that first.)
I had an epic series of mishaps when I was trying to finish up last-minute AK shirts for my family, I messed mine up 3x. I was able to salvage though, by doing my Minnie head on felt and cutting the felt a tad larger than the outline and stitching it over one of the messed up ones on the shirt. It's 3" thick approx with all those layers, but it was fine for what it was. I just used a little glue stick to stick it over the one I wanted to cover up to hold it in place, then stitched around with a straight stitch on my sewing machine. (You could use spray adhesive also)

(this was the best one I could find, but you can sort of see how Minnie on my shirt has a tan outline the others don't have. That's because I did the felt then stitched it on.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredbycorn View Post
I'm so happy to have found this thread! We are probably going to the World in September with our daughter. She will be 21 months so of course I want to doll her up.

Thing is, I am lousy with a sewing machine. I tried to make her a hockey jersey last fall and gave up on the project three times and that was even after I started to use fabric glue. Finally, I just thread a needle and started doing it by hand. Go figure it only took me half an hour to finish the thing to my satisfaction.

Does anyone here sew by hand? I want to make her stuff, but I'm worried I'll end up going through the jersey mess all over again and since we're fairly short on time... I'm wondering if I should just do it by hand from the start.
I am lousy by hand, I hand stitched buttons on shirts for our disney trip last year that fell off on the way to the airport! But depending on the fabric you used for the hockey jersey, you might find that sewing w/ quilters cotton for dresses for your daughter might be a better experience. Maybe start w/ a simple pillowcase dress? I have used this pattern/tutorial and it really was very easy. No lining, gathering, shirring, ruffling, etc. That most dresses require. There area also tons of tutorials on youtube and craftsy.com that might get you started. I took a quilt start-to-finish class a couple years ago at my local quilt/fabric shop which was great, and not too expensive for a 6 week class. They offer lots of other beginner classes to at my local shop, perhaps look into that? Either way, good luck and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Thanks Somehow it makes the trip "more real" when I have ADR's.

Now that we have ADR's, we can spend the next 180 days prepping ourselves for sharing a table with other families at Biergarten.
Congrats on your ADRs. We were happy to get all that we wanted, but my wish list had some of the big-ticket places like CRT and BoG, so I felt great that we got everything we wanted! I agree it does feel more real when you have reservations. I just bought our tickets and dining plan (since we are staying DVC this time we don't qualify for free dining even if it is announced.) I had read the prices were going to increase so I just pre-paid both. We still don't have a flight, but everything else is in place!
We did eat at Biergarten and it wasn't that weird sitting with other people. I have certainly sat that close to other patrons who were at other tables in restaurants before. We had a party of 6 so we had only room for 2 extras at our table, we were with a nice older couple who were there celebrating retirement. I was less concerned about us feeling uncomfortable and more about the other people regretting they had to share a table with us if my kids were acting like wild animals. Thankfully we kept the kids stuffed w/ delicious pretzel rolls and all was well.

And for my semi-regular update: I have not gone back to the sewing store again this week, I spent some time with my kiddos, and yesterday we had the preschool nature thing in the morning which was fun and we learned about Ants and hunted for bugs in the woods. In the afternoon a friend came to watch my kiddos while I was able to work on some projects and try to get caught up (not quite there yet but getting better) and yesterday afternoon the owner of the sewing store called me, from out of the country, to profusely apologize for all I have been through and could not believe all the problems I have had and that no one had alerted her that I was having so much trouble. She wants to meet with me and make it right, which is great, BUT... She is out of the country until 6/25 so I have to wait out 2 more weeks without that machine. I definitely feel better knowing that SOMEONE is willing to help make the situation right. In the meantime my little PE770 and I are working working working. And I am SO GLAD I never got around to selling it, I would be so sunk.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #619
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

So glad to hear that some of the machine troubles have possible solutions in the near future. That is is so unacceptable that you ladies were treated that way. Seriously - what has happened to customer service in our world?

I have that same Cinderella panel fabric - it originally came in a kit to make a large fabric book - that I never got around to making ( I have a similar buzzlight year boy set) - I like the idea of tote bags - that would be cute.

Question:

I managed to sew the backs of two of my pirate mickey shirts to themselves -even though I was sure that I checked a hundred times to make sure I had the rest of the shirt out the way. I was able to snip the shirt off of the back of the applique but because a part of it is still under the applique - there is a hole in the back bottom of the shirts so I cant just stitch it up.

Anyone have any suggestions for covering the hole? It is in the back lower part of the shirt so I want something kind of not too obvious. I dont have time to go back and redo the shirts since we are leaving on Thurs so I want to try to repair them.

I am thinking of some sort of white patch - maybe with a piece of tshirt material on some heat and bond.

Thanks for any suggestions
Happy Saturday
Kelly
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #620
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

[

Regards,
C.[/QUOTE]

Such a cute dress and precious little girl!
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #621
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtruba

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I don't know if this worked or not, but this is what I did with similar fabric

Rebekah

Very cute dress!! What pattern is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood
I think the fabric can work w/ either epcot or small world. It's really cute. I do think adding all the flag mickey heads might be overkill though. I like the dress rtruba posted, it's subtle and could go either way (or both!)

The dress is adorable. I am sure your daughter loves the twirling.

I would imagine it is on fleece for the same reason people do things on felt, since it doesn't fray. I would think you can just stitch around the border, leaving the fleece in place (unless it isn't trimmed to the shape of the outline, in which case I would do that first.)
I had an epic series of mishaps when I was trying to finish up last-minute AK shirts for my family, I messed mine up 3x. I was able to salvage though, by doing my Minnie head on felt and cutting the felt a tad larger than the outline and stitching it over one of the messed up ones on the shirt. It's 3" thick approx with all those layers, but it was fine for what it was. I just used a little glue stick to stick it over the one I wanted to cover up to hold it in place, then stitched around with a straight stitch on my sewing machine. (You could use spray adhesive also)

(this was the best one I could find, but you can sort of see how Minnie on my shirt has a tan outline the others don't have. That's because I did the felt then stitched it on.)

I am lousy by hand, I hand stitched buttons on shirts for our disney trip last year that fell off on the way to the airport! But depending on the fabric you used for the hockey jersey, you might find that sewing w/ quilters cotton for dresses for your daughter might be a better experience. Maybe start w/ a simple pillowcase dress? I have used this pattern/tutorial and it really was very easy. No lining, gathering, shirring, ruffling, etc. That most dresses require.

Congrats on your ADRs. We were happy to get all that we wanted, but my wish list had some of the big-ticket places like CRT and BoG,

And for my semi-regular update: I have not gone back to the sewing store again this week, I spent some time with my kiddos, and yesterday we had the preschool nature thing in the morning which was fun and we learned about Ants and hunted for bugs in the woods. In the afternoon a friend came to watch my kiddos while I was able to work on some projects and try to get caught up (not quite there yet but getting better) and yesterday afternoon the owner of the sewing store called me, from out of the country, to profusely apologize for all I have been through and could not believe all the problems I have had and that no one had alerted her that I was having so much trouble. She wants to meet with me and make it right, which is great, BUT... She is out of the country until 6/25 so I have to wait out 2 more weeks without that machine. I definitely feel better knowing that SOMEONE is willing to help make the situation right. In the meantime my little PE770 and I are working working working. And I am SO GLAD I never got around to selling it, I would be so sunk.
Yeah! Happy you got some good ADRs as well!

Glad to hear someone is willing to work with you. Thank goodness you still have the 770!!

Those outfits are adorable!!! Can't really see the mess up from here. Great way to fix it and it turned out cute!!!!
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #622
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
So glad to hear that some of the machine troubles have possible solutions in the near future. That is is so unacceptable that you ladies were treated that way. Seriously - what has happened to customer service in our world?

I have that same Cinderella panel fabric - it originally came in a kit to make a large fabric book - that I never got around to making ( I have a similar buzzlight year boy set) - I like the idea of tote bags - that would be cute.

Question:

I managed to sew the backs of two of my pirate mickey shirts to themselves -even though I was sure that I checked a hundred times to make sure I had the rest of the shirt out the way. I was able to snip the shirt off of the back of the applique but because a part of it is still under the applique - there is a hole in the back bottom of the shirts so I cant just stitch it up.

Anyone have any suggestions for covering the hole? It is in the back lower part of the shirt so I want something kind of not too obvious. I dont have time to go back and redo the shirts since we are leaving on Thurs so I want to try to repair them.

I am thinking of some sort of white patch - maybe with a piece of tshirt material on some heat and bond.

Happy Saturday
Kelly
I've done that lots of times! So aggravating! I've used tender touch/cover-a-stitch or whatever it's called that irons on the back of appliqués. It stays on well. I've unfortunate done it more than once. I just iron it in the inside over the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 06-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #623
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w View Post
Hey everyone! RMAMom told me about this thread. I am new to sewing and super excited to read all your tips and tricks.
Welcome! Please share pictures of your projects (doesn't need to be Disney related)! We like pictures here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
Flora...what day are you going to Biergarten? I can't remember your dates, but they kinda go with mine...we are doing Biergarten on Saturday the 7th at 6:30.... We could share a table...but then again, there are 7 of us and 3 are kids... and two of the others act like kids (like father like son!)

Nini
Thank you for the offer to share a table with us (2 big kids ). Our reservation is on Wednesday Dec 11 8:45. I figured by getting a late reservation, we should be good in terms of the place becoming quieter over the course of the meal and our tablemates will probably depart at some point. However, DH just walked by and said that we could switch our reservations around if there are availability since we had The Wave scheduled for the Saturday evening. Though does it mean that we need to coordinate our bookings so we get seated at the same table?

The noise thing is the same reason why we have a late reservation for Coral Reef. We were seated in the middle tier over "regular dinner time" once and the noise was overwhelming for me. Besides, we are coming in from Mountain Time so we will "benefit" from the 2 hour time difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Congrats on your ADRs. We were happy to get all that we wanted, but my wish list had some of the big-ticket places like CRT and BoG, so I felt great that we got everything we wanted! I agree it does feel more real when you have reservations. I just bought our tickets and dining plan (since we are staying DVC this time we don't qualify for free dining even if it is announced.) I had read the prices were going to increase so I just pre-paid both. We still don't have a flight, but everything else is in place!
We did eat at Biergarten and it wasn't that weird sitting with other people. I have certainly sat that close to other patrons who were at other tables in restaurants before. We had a party of 6 so we had only room for 2 extras at our table, we were with a nice older couple who were there celebrating retirement. I was less concerned about us feeling uncomfortable and more about the other people regretting they had to share a table with us if my kids were acting like wild animals. Thankfully we kept the kids stuffed w/ delicious pretzel rolls and all was well.

I am glad to hear that you got all our ADR's. I think Akershus and Ohana are probably the most popular restaurants on our list. I can't wait to hear about your trip!

Thank you for sharing your experience at Biergarten. How nice that you got to share a table with a couple celebrating retirement!

I am relived to hear that the owner of the sewing store called you. I hope she can set things right when she returns. In the mean time, go go PE770!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
Question:

Happy Saturday
Kelly
Would a small applique work? I used that method to cover up a serger mishap recently. My serger was a little hungry when I was finishing the seam between the skirt and the ruffles . This is a picture of the "cover up".

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #624
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have a miserable cold but fabric is in the washer and I hope to start at least cutting today. Maybe some low key embroidery.

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #625
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredbycorn View Post
I'm so happy to have found this thread! We are probably going to the World in September with our daughter. She will be 21 months so of course I want to doll her up.

Thing is, I am lousy with a sewing machine. I tried to make her a hockey jersey last fall and gave up on the project three times and that was even after I started to use fabric glue. Finally, I just thread a needle and started doing it by hand. Go figure it only took me half an hour to finish the thing to my satisfaction.

Does anyone here sew by hand? I want to make her stuff, but I'm worried I'll end up going through the jersey mess all over again and since we're fairly short on time... I'm wondering if I should just do it by hand from the start.
Did you use a jersey or knit fabric? Those types of fabric require you to use a ballpoint needle in your machine -or one labeled "jersey". You will have lots of skipped stitches if you use a regular needle. I know from experience! If you use a cotton fabric you will not have nearly the problems using your machine.
Wait.....we're staying where? and when??

2001 - All Star Movies; 2010 - POFQ; 2011 - POFQ; 2013- Caribbean Beach
Iamthequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #626
WDWCP96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post

Thank you. Maybe it is on felt and not fleece but either way thanks. I was so confused. I guess I will trim it up a little more and then use some spray adhesive and then stitch it in place. Hopefully I can get my act in gear to post pictures of it before I leave.

Fall 1996-College Program,1997-1998-Seasonal Employee, April 1999-Off-site, July 2002-Off-site and Disney Cruise,May 2008-Off-site,May 2009-All-Star Movies,October 2010-DVC owners first stay at BLT, June 2011-Boardwalk Villas/Old Key WestNov. 2012-AKL/BLT, June/July 2013-Fort Wildernesss campground/VWL, June/July 2014-POP Century/Fort Wilderness Campground/POR-Royal Room
WDWCP96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #627
luvdumbo
DIS Veteran

I am trying to make a habit of coming over here more often, so I am sharing my most recently completed project.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #628
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdumbo View Post
I am trying to make a habit of coming over here more often, so I am sharing my most recently completed project.
Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #629
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdumbo
Very cute!! I really like that skirt pattern!
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #630
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdumbo View Post
I love this! I am a HUGE monsters inc fan and I cannot wait for Monsters U! I also loved the seven dwarves skirt, the apple fabric is brilliant.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: