Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
smittette
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging.
And it was great. This design is huge and would have been such a pain the old way working inside-out.

So thank you to whomever suggested that 2-3 threads ago.
Double thank you to "whomever" Great idea!

Ok, gotta rant -
I took the day off of sewing to take my husband's car to get a tune-up and oil change (We're driving his car to Florida, and he wanted me to get it done so we wouldn't run out of time - What does he think, that I'm a procrastinator, oh, wait, I am) Anyhoo, I posted earlier how I can hear my Cinderella fabric calling my name. Well, now I'm stuck an hour from home in a hotel for the night (a treat in any other circumstance) because they didn't put any oil BACK in the car!!!! Hubby thinks they left the plug off, but the end result is the same. No sewing for me!
Actually, my mother's brand new Ellissimo is in the car; along with some cute red fabric with white polka dots that I couldn't resist today. If the dang thing wasn't so heavy, I'd go get it and spend my night having a ball.
smittette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #32
snubie
DIS Veteran

Checking in, it has been probably a year since I checked in. How is it possible that this is thread 30?!? I "met" you Teresa in 2007, 6 years now.
April 1985 Poly,May 2004 POFQ,Sept 2007 ASMU,Jan 2008 ASMU,May 2009 CBR,Jan 2011 POP - disboutiquers meet, Jan 2013 POR
snubie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #33
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Alright TeresaJoy I make one crack about Mi and you try to ditch me?

As if you could get rid of me that easy

LOL
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #34
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

I haven't checked in for a few weeks, come back to find a new thread and only on page 3. Not too shabby. I'll post some of my recent projects in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentB View Post
I'm just learning to sew and I love this thread!
Welcome! I'm in CO too, in Littleon, not too many Coloradoans on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Ok, here is a picture of some of the towels. We've already given some away.

Here is one of the shirts for me. The other one is already put away and I was too lazy to go upstairs and get it I had made one like this for my husband a couple of months ago and I really liked it.

Love the towels. What a great idea! Love that shirt, I need to get that design sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Viola in her Cinderelly dress last week at Magic Kingdom!

Viola in her Belle-inspired dress!

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!
Quote:
More photos... just because I love Disney World... and my daughter... (and Cinderella, of course).

Great job, she's such a cutie in those dresses!

Quote:
Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

And it was great. This design is huge and would have been such a pain the old way working inside-out.

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.
So cute! I need to start thinking of baby stuff to make. I have a friend due in August.

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #35
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Diane, I know what you mean about the kids wanting the towels you made...last year we gave my daughter (who was turning 12) a beach party for her birthday. As favors, I made plain white towels from Sam's club into 'beach' towels for all the guests...simple beachy applique and the child's name... I think I ended up with around 15... Found out later...some kids were requesting invitations just so they could get a towel!

I have been up all night...waiting for a call from the hospital. My oldest daughter is being induced. She has been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks... they finally decided she was at a critical stage and decided to induce labor. If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving for the hospital in a few hours....and we should have a baby some time tonight.

I am my daughter's back up coach since my wonderful son in law is a bit squeamish and isn't sure he can make it the whole way! (he really is wonderful...we lucked out in the son in law department!) Thought about making something cute for the baby..but I promised myself I would wait to find out if we have an Alexander or an Amelia before I make anything else!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #36
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ok, here is a picture of some of the towels. We've already given some away.

Here is one of the shirts for me. The other one is already put away and I was too lazy to go upstairs and get it I had made one like this for my husband a couple of months ago and I really liked it.

Those all look very nice.

Quote:

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!
Viola and her dresses are adorable!

Quote:
Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.
Those are sooo cute. I will have to remember that idea if I applique onesies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
Diane, I know what you mean about the kids wanting the towels you made...last year we gave my daughter (who was turning 12) a beach party for her birthday. As favors, I made plain white towels from Sam's club into 'beach' towels for all the guests...simple beachy applique and the child's name... I think I ended up with around 15... Found out later...some kids were requesting invitations just so they could get a towel!

I have been up all night...waiting for a call from the hospital. My oldest daughter is being induced. She has been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks... they finally decided she was at a critical stage and decided to induce labor. If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving for the hospital in a few hours....and we should have a baby some time tonight.

I am my daughter's back up coach since my wonderful son in law is a bit squeamish and isn't sure he can make it the whole way! (he really is wonderful...we lucked out in the son in law department!) Thought about making something cute for the baby..but I promised myself I would wait to find out if we have an Alexander or an Amelia before I make anything else!

Nini
Prayers for an easy delivery. And congratulations to you and your family.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #37
Tweevil
Twin Evils....

Page 3 !? I think I am going to get my disbou card revoked...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #38
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Great idea on the towels Diane. The shirt looks cute. I embroidered a shirt for myself the other say too. I will probably wear it to work tomorrow.
I hardly ever make anything for myself so it was a fun treat to make. What did you put on your shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
I love, love, love these towels! Hopefully by next spring my skills will be good enough that I can make something similar
Towels really are pretty easy. You just need to use a topper when you embroider them. I use Sulky Solvy and it works great.

Quote:

Adorable little girls and great dresses! I'm sure you must have received tons of compliments on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
Great idea for the towels. And that shirt is very cute. How long does that design take to stitch out? Most appliques I choose take about 1-2 hours, but I can be perfectionistic.
That design stitched out pretty quickly. I did the 6x10 so it took a bit longer. It was about 1/2 an hour from start to finish, including hooping the shirt.

Quote:

The onesies are adorable! And I always cut mine open when I embroider on them. I also cut open small t-shirts. It makes it so much easier.

Hooray for getting a free desk. It will be nice for you to have the sewing room set up in a way that makes you comfortable and it is easy to use.
I was wondering if you had sold the PE770 yet. I saw that you posted it on FB and tried to hook you up with someone who was interested. I only start multi-tasking when my embroidery machine is doing satin stitches on a design that I've stitched out before and know it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittette View Post
Double thank you to "whomever" Great idea!

Ok, gotta rant -
I took the day off of sewing to take my husband's car to get a tune-up and oil change (We're driving his car to Florida, and he wanted me to get it done so we wouldn't run out of time - What does he think, that I'm a procrastinator, oh, wait, I am) Anyhoo, I posted earlier how I can hear my Cinderella fabric calling my name. Well, now I'm stuck an hour from home in a hotel for the night (a treat in any other circumstance) because they didn't put any oil BACK in the car!!!! Hubby thinks they left the plug off, but the end result is the same. No sewing for me!
Actually, my mother's brand new Ellissimo is in the car; along with some cute red fabric with white polka dots that I couldn't resist today. If the dang thing wasn't so heavy, I'd go get it and spend my night having a ball.
Sorry, it is so frustrating to know that the machine is in the car but you can't use it. I hope that the car is ok and that they didn't do any permanent damage to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post

Nini
I remember the party and the towels. It was a Hawaiian themed party right? And at the last minute there were some food issues. The towels for that party were awesome. I hope that the kids I am giving these towels to like them as much as the ones who came to your daughter's birthday party.

I hope that your older daughter's induction goes smoothly and that the baby makes his or her appearance very quickly. Best wishes for a safe and speedy delivery for mom and baby. Make sure to stop by and tell us if it was Amanda or Alexander.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #39
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood
Those are very cute! Glad to hear putting them back together was easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris
Diane, I know what you mean about the kids wanting the towels you made....

Nini
That towel story is cute. Hope your dd has an easy delivery. Can't wait to hear the official news!

Dianemom....thanks! That's very quick. I should try that one. I need to find a few quick ones, as I have a ton to do for our trip.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #40
mphalens
Those hand sewn buttons, I tell ya!

I miss this thread . . . but I haven't gotten to do any Disney sewing lately . . . I need to just come hang out over here so y'all can hold me accountable for the sewing I need to do (not Disney) - like the Bosco BowTie's I need to make!

You Want Me to Sew WHAT? A Photo-Journal Trip Report
Christmas Comes Early PTR Nov 27 - Dec 3 2011
mphalens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #41
sarah-jane
Mouseketeer

Hello,

I am have lurked on the Disboutiquers thread for years but I'm a very novice seamstress, so I don't do a lot of posting. I have been given a challenge and am preparing to meet it, and I just knew you all would have ideas. We are taking my daughter to Disney for her first trip this September and we are booked in to BBB. However the only thing my girl wants is an Aurora dress - but NOT the pink one - the blue one from the movie (which she loves). I have talks to Disney and this is not a possibility anywhere in the parks. So, I'm looking at sewing it. A few years ago I ended up making my eldest daughter a Rapunzel dress because they weren't available in parks yet, and I took an existing flower girl dress and sewed an over skirt and bodice that laced over. I am wondering where to start for Aurora - I have an old Cindy dress I can start with but it isn't quite the right shape. I am worried about sewing it all from scratch, but maybe it wouldn't be too hard? Ideas?

sarah-jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #42
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah-jane View Post
Hello,

I am have lurked on the Disboutiquers thread for years but I'm a very novice seamstress, so I don't do a lot of posting. I have been given a challenge and am preparing to meet it, and I just knew you all would have ideas. We are taking my daughter to Disney for her first trip this September and we are booked in to BBB. However the only thing my girl wants is an Aurora dress - but NOT the pink one - the blue one from the movie (which she loves). I have talks to Disney and this is not a possibility anywhere in the parks. So, I'm looking at sewing it. A few years ago I ended up making my eldest daughter a Rapunzel dress because they weren't available in parks yet, and I took an existing flower girl dress and sewed an over skirt and bodice that laced over. I am wondering where to start for Aurora - I have an old Cindy dress I can start with but it isn't quite the right shape. I am worried about sewing it all from scratch, but maybe it wouldn't be too hard? Ideas?
I hadn't sewed a lot in many, many years, and I found great success in using the pdf patterns from youcanmakethis.com
Very easy to use! And the customizing options are only limited by your imagination. I also get inspiration by seeing what people have listed on etsy. A lot of princess stuff there!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #43
Disneymom1218
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone, I haven't checked in for a while. We leave in 6 days for a trip to WDW. we will be a large group this time as my Sister and her 2 kids are coming with us making us a group of 7. I finally got an embroidery machine and I figured I would make tops for my DDs and my niece. Easier said than done. I am a huge procrastinator and now it is nipping me in the butt.

Again, remember I leave in 6 days. I am making Bettyann tops for all 3 girls for their trip to BBB all I have done on those is the appliques. I managed to finish 2 Nemo Bettyanns for my DD's as my niece doesn't like Nemo. My girls are both on the spectrum and typically only like to wear pillow case type tops because they are loose. I have tried other patterns to no avail. we tried the Bettyann and for the first 20 min all was well and now they bother them. I had to open the back and add longer elastic to make it looser. I still have 9-12 tops to make in these last 6 days well 4-5 really as we leave at 6:50 Am. So those last 9-12 tops will be pillow case tops as they go together so easily and quickly and won't cause meltdowns in my children LOL. Also, if I have time I am wanting to make a Vanessa top for myself (the adult version of the Bettyann). Here is what I have done so far:

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #44
HeatherSue

I'm just checking in since I haven't posted in quite a while!! The ladies on this thread (including my dear sister, teresajoy) got me sewing in 2007 and have led me to a wonderful career in digitizing embroidery designs! I'm so thankful to everyone for their encouragement through the years!! I love the Disboutiquers!

and some dancing bananas for good measure (do NOT forget the 3 banana minimum!)

HeatherSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #45
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
Welcome! I'm in CO too, in Littleon, not too many Coloradoans on here.

So cute! I need to start thinking of baby stuff to make. I have a friend due in August.
I consider myself a Coloradoan, I haven't lived there in almost 20 years but I am born and raised. My mom and brother and his son still all live there, we are actually going out over the 4th of July, my nephew gets to throw out the first pitch at the Colorado Springs Sky Sox game on July 4, so we are driving out there for it. I definitely do not consider myself anything other than "Ill-anoyed" living here!

Quote:
The onesies are adorable! And I always cut mine open when I embroider on them. I also cut open small t-shirts. It makes it so much easier.

Hooray for getting a free desk. It will be nice for you to have the sewing room set up in a way that makes you comfortable and it is easy to use.
I was wondering if you had sold the PE770 yet. I saw that you posted it on FB and tried to hook you up with someone who was interested. I only start multi-tasking when my embroidery machine is doing satin stitches on a design that I've stitched out before and know it works well.
The tip was probably from you but it was SO long ago, I couldn't remember. I haven't sold the 770 yet, a couple people on FB interested but didn't get approval from the husbands. Going to try ebay but haven't had the energy to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah-jane View Post
Hello,

The Simply Sweet pattern from youcanmakethis.com is super easy, it was the first dress I made. It is more like a sewing lesson than just a pattern. And here is a tutorial to make it into a princess aurora dress: http://scientificseamstress.blogspot...-pointers.html (which I assume you can make with blue fabric? I haven't seen the movie and google images looked like the pink and blue are similar just pink or blue. Sorry if that isn't right?)

This is one project I got done this weekend, a shirt for my nephew for his 6th birthday next week. I found the fabric at the Sewing Expo and it is perfect cubs colors. I made him a Broncos one for Christmas and so I thought I would do a Cub one too, bought the fabric and 2 days later got a text from my brother that he was requesting a cubs one. Perfect timing!

I wish the logo on the back were higher, and I had some sort of total buttonhole failure so I messed up the top buttonhole, so I made a little felt patch and covered it up. It's for a 6 year old, so I think he won't care. I had my son try it on, he deemed it "too big, we should give it to Aydin." so that worked out perfectly!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: