Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
AgentB
Earning My Ears

I'm just learning to sew and I love this thread!
AgentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Here we go again!!!

Love the pony skirt...is that the names of the ponies I see at the hemline? Very cool.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
smittette
Earning My Ears

Posting on my phone while waiting on an oil change and tune up instead of sewing today. I guess this has to be done before our trip too, but I'm so close to having the twirly skirt done and getting started on Cinderella. The fluffy blue fabric is crying out to me.
smittette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

I'm here!

Teresajoy...love that skirt.

Smittette...can't wait to see your finished products.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
In honor of our 30th thread, I thought I would re-post the first outfit I posted on this thread back on June 21, 2007.
Little bitty Lydia in her My Little Pony skirt. She was only 4 years old.

Here I am! Lydia was so little! Love the skirt!

I've been working on embroidering or appliqueing names onto beach towels to give as gifts. DD12 is invited to about 10 bar or bat mitzvahs this spring. So I decided that I would make beach towels to give as gifts. I have one more to make and then I am done! Of course, my kids have seen the towels and now they want them for themselves. Making the gifts has been a huge money saver. I found huge, thick beach towels at Tuesday Morning for $9.99 each. I will try and get a picture of some of the finished towels.

I've also been working on a ruffle butt romper for my niece and I made two embroidered shirts for Disney for me.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Ok, here is a picture of some of the towels. We've already given some away.

Here is one of the shirts for me. The other one is already put away and I was too lazy to go upstairs and get it I had made one like this for my husband a couple of months ago and I really liked it.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

Here is one of the shirts for me. The other one is already put away and I was too lazy to go upstairs and get it I had made one like this for my husband a couple of months ago and I really liked it.
I totally love the Owens, they are such a great idea.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Teresa - thanks for starting the new thread. This will be brief as I am using my phone on a moving bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
That skirt is adorable, Teresa
I have a question to start out the new thread.
I used HeatherSue's bestest applique tutorial to do an applique on cotton.
Now I want to hand applique a basic Hidden Mickey type shape (made out of cotton quilt material) on a T-SHIRT.
What do I do differently, does anyone have a tutorial for that, and any tips or tricks for a first attempt at sewing on a t-shirt?

I would suggest using cutaway stabilizer and ball point needle for the applique. Otherwise it should be the same as working on cotton.

Quote:

Great idea on the towels Diane. The shirt looks cute. I embroidered a shirt for myself the other say too. I will probably wear it to work tomorrow.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)

Last edited by PurpleEars; 05-01-2013 at 06:48 PM.
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I love, love, love these towels! Hopefully by next spring my skills will be good enough that I can make something similar

Also, yay for part 30! Hopefully I will have more to contribute to this one
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Viola in her Cinderelly dress last week at Magic Kingdom!

Viola in her Belle-inspired dress!

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!
(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2

Great idea for the towels. And that shirt is very cute. How long does that design take to stitch out? Most appliques I choose take about 1-2 hours, but I can be perfectionistic.

MickeyforPresident......your dd is sooo cute. Love those outfits!!!
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I would suggest using cutaway stabilizer and ball point needle for the applique. Otherwise it should be the same as working on cotton.
That's the kind of thing I need to know. THANKS!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

More photos... just because I love Disney World... and my daughter... (and Cinderella, of course).

(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

And it was great. This design is huge and would have been such a pain the old way working inside-out.

So thank you to whomever suggested that 2-3 threads ago.

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
In honor of our 30th thread, I thought I would re-post the first outfit I posted on this thread back on June 21, 2007.
Little bitty Lydia in her My Little Pony skirt. She was only 4 years old.

How sweet! Thanks for getting the new thread started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Here! Currently on hold with DCL! UGH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
I used HeatherSue's bestest applique tutorial to do an applique on cotton.
Now I want to hand applique a basic Hidden Mickey type shape (made out of cotton quilt material) on a T-SHIRT.
What do I do differently, does anyone have a tutorial for that, and any tips or tricks for a first attempt at sewing on a t-shirt?
Some people like to use a ball point needle on t-shirts but otherwise the steps are the same.

Quote:
I've been working on embroidering or appliqueing names onto beach towels to give as gifts. DD12 is invited to about 10 bar or bat mitzvahs this spring. So I decided that I would make beach towels to give as gifts. I have one more to make and then I am done! Of course, my kids have seen the towels and now they want them for themselves. Making the gifts has been a huge money saver. I found huge, thick beach towels at Tuesday Morning for $9.99 each. I will try and get a picture of some of the finished towels.

I've also been working on a ruffle butt romper for my niece and I made two embroidered shirts for Disney for me.
Great idea for gifts for Boys and girls. Loved the pictures of your Disney shirt too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Viola in her Cinderelly dress last week at Magic Kingdom!

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!
Oh my, I LOVE Viola in her pink Cinderella dress. What a cutie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

So thank you to whomever suggested that 2-3 threads ago.

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.
The onesies came out really good and they look like they were put back together perfectly. Great score on the desk.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: