Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #136
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
I would love to do a meet!!!!!! It would be nice to meet some fellow Disers.
Cool. We should plan something closer to the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I am hoping that the photographer gets a good picture of the ballroom all set up with the tablecloths and centerpieces, etc so that I can share it here. I only got all the fabric for the tablecloths because of help here on this thread. One of the Disboutiquers, who we don't see on here much anymore, got the manager of her store to give her a list of stores that still had the fabric I needed. I called all over the mid-west and had them ship the fabric to my store. In bits and pieces I found all the yardage I needed. And at a bargain price too. The fabric that I used for the tablecloths was reduced to $1 per yard by the time I was buying it. I think I may have paid more for the shipping than for the fabric.

I forgot that you have the same se270d that I have. It is a good sewing machine. The only thing that I don't like about it is the thread cartridge. And the only reason that I don't like that is because I can't use the larger spools of thread.
I hope the photographer will have some great pictures. I know you have planned for a long time for this, so I hope everything will go smoothly.

I actually use serger sized spools of thread on my 270D to sew. I put the spool in a spool holder, and use the spool extender thing that goes on top of the cartidge. That set up works like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittette View Post
The skirt was super easy - no pattern needed. The embroidery took quite a while, but putting the skirt together probably only took an hour.

Warning: text in orange is my rambling - completely unnecessary to make the skirt.

I cut all the fabric into 7 in wide strips. Then I cut each strip into various sized blocks from 4 in to 10 in long.

At this point, most people could just randomly grab blocks (small ones for the top tier, but other than that any size) I, on the other hand, cannot do random. I tell myself that I can, but I always end up planning everything out So I numbered my fabrics, placed the embroidery panels where I wanted them (on paper), and then started numbering. Top tier was just 12E345E67. Second tier, I started in the middle (maybe on 4) and skipped every other space. eg 4E_5_6_E7 etc. Then I came back and filled in. It would end up 4E15263E74 and so on. I skipped two spaces on the bottom tier. Random probably would have worked just as well, but...

Back to the process: I started with a 30 in tier (for a 20 in waist). I serged the blocks together until I had 30 inches and then serged it into a circle. Second tier, same as the first, but 60 inches. Third tier, 120 inches. If you're wondering why I sewed the tiers into circles before attaching them, it was so that there is no one line of stitching from top to bottom so there would be no specific front or back to the skirt. Whatever animal she's in love with at the moment can be the front.

I hemmed the bottom tier before starting the gathering. Much less material to deal with that way.

I trimmed a couple inches off of the top tier and did the waistband. Sewed a 30 inch by 2 inch strip into a circle. Put a buttonhole on one side, then folded it in half longways and serged that onto the top tier - making sure the button hole will be on the inside. My original plan had been to just fold it over at the top to make the waistband, but at the last minute I finally found the tiger stripe and wanted to use some of it. This is how I got different sized tiers when all my blocks started out as 7 in.

Then I put gathering stitches into the tops of tiers 2 and 3. Note: I forgot to change back to the right color after putting in the gathering stitches, oops. Finally I just gathered up the threads and stitched the tiers together, making sure that the embroidered panels did not end up stacked on top of each other. I did serge those seams really quick too because they wanted to ravel otherwise.

I threaded the elastic through the waistband using the button hole, stitched it down on one end, and attached a button on to slip the other end of the elastic over. If you don't want to use button hole elastic, just stitch the two ends together and let them slip back into the hole.

At some point there will be a safari vest, too, but the Cinderella fabric has been waiting so patiently.
Thanks for sharing the instructions for the skirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
I have a bunch of things to post. Not that I have been very productive, just slacking on posting so it seems like alot. That being said I am not sure if I posted some of these things or not so I apologize if you have seen a few of these before.

I made this laptop bag for me:

OK, as you can tell I am a slacker so my DD did not have a birthday party this past November (nor did she have one the year before) so we planned a half birthday party and had a few girls sleep over last weekend. We did a cupcake theme and I made a bunch of cupcakes so the girls could decorate them. Not sewing, and not in par with Diane's decorations but here is the wreath I made:

since I found this fabric in the remnant bin I made her some PJs:

This design fit our theme

I made this tote bag, which will be going to my sister in law. It has a bunch of pockets inside so hopefully she will find it useful.

My daughter had to make a 3-d animal for SS class and got assigned an Australian Lorikeet. Since we have WAY too much fabric we came up with this:

We basically made two sets of the bird and hand appliqued the colored fabric together onto a piece of flannel. Sewed them together, turned, stuffed and there you go, a bird. I made my daughter do the entire hand applique process and she sewed all the stitches but it took her FOREVER since she used the "turtle" setting on my machine for all the sewing. Of course she did all the hand stitching too since I DO NOT hand stitch. Then hot glue comes in handy for everything else. Hopefully this is the last of the projects for the school year.

I made this skirt for my daughter to wear to see Iron Man 3. She has been waiting forever to see this movie and was so excited for this outfit. I actually was afraid that she wouldn't be into it but she was.

After spending most of the morning (and afternoon) playing with my photo software and photobucket I finally got my pictures "straight". I hate when software thinks it is smarting then me and does things automatically. Thanks for checking out my stuff.
Great job on everything you made. The wording on the PJ set is too cute! The Iron Man set looks fab. I am glad to hear that she enjoyed the movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
That is a way cuter shirt for Iron Man than what I wore when DH and I went to see it - I wore my brand new "May the 4th be with you" (or because my machine ate the 'a' in May it's more like Moy the 4th be with you") But then again, I'm sure your DD is way cuter than me.
That's too bad about your shirt. In keeping with the Star Wars theme, here's my shirt for today:

I also made a bag for one of my friends for her birthday. It's an ITH project from Pickle Pie Designs.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #137
Disneymom1218
Mouseketeer

I appliqued one of my tshirts for me to wear during our trip. here it is and some close ups of the appliques.

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #138
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
I have a bunch of things to post. Not that I have been very productive, just slacking on posting so it seems like alot. That being said I am not sure if I posted some of these things or not so I apologize if you have seen a few of these before.

inside:

OK, as you can tell I am a slacker so my DD did not have a birthday party this past November (nor did she have one the year before) so we planned a half birthday party and had a few girls sleep over last weekend. We did a cupcake theme and I made a bunch of cupcakes so the girls could decorate them. Not sewing, and not in par with Diane's decorations but here is the wreath I made:

This design fit our theme

I made this tote bag, which will be going to my sister in law. It has a bunch of pockets inside so hopefully she will find it useful.

My daughter had to make a 3-d animal for SS class and got assigned an Australian Lorikeet. Since we have WAY too much fabric we came up with this:

We basically made two sets of the bird and hand appliqued the colored fabric together onto a piece of flannel. Sewed them together, turned, stuffed and there you go, a bird. I made my daughter do the entire hand applique process and she sewed all the stitches but it took her FOREVER since she used the "turtle" setting on my machine for all the sewing. Of course she did all the hand stitching too since I DO NOT hand stitch. Then hot glue comes in handy for everything else. Hopefully this is the last of the projects for the school year.

I made this skirt for my daughter to wear to see Iron Man 3. She has been waiting forever to see this movie and was so excited for this outfit. I actually was afraid that she wouldn't be into it but she was.

I used glow in the dark thread for the white circle on his chest so it "glows" like in the movie:

I made this with the intention that we could re-use the skirt for our trip to Universal. I will be making a Harry Potter theme shirt to wear with this skirt. I think the colors will apply to both even though the maroon is probably not "red" enough for Iron Man. As a bonus the jeans part of this skirt was a hand me down but the elastic in the waist was broken so my DD never wore it, it was in my sewing room to fix but I never got around to it and legs are too short now so perfect for an "upcycle". I see a few more of these in my future, with different fabrics of course.

After spending most of the morning (and afternoon) playing with my photo software and photobucket I finally got my pictures "straight". I hate when software thinks it is smarting then me and does things automatically. Thanks for checking out my stuff.
I love this Liz!! YOu did a great job on everything - the bags are magnificant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Part of my New Thread Resolution is to check on her a few times a week.

It's not like she is busy or anything

Not at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
And on a completely different note: are you sure D didn't make it over earlier because her PTR took up soo much of her time. What with the chit-chat and all.
I have no idea what you are talking about? It's not as if it's going to hit 250 pages any time soon...

D~
DMGeurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #139
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Cool. We should plan something closer to the time.

I hope the photographer will have some great pictures. I know you have planned for a long time for this, so I hope everything will go smoothly.

I actually use serger sized spools of thread on my 270D to sew. I put the spool in a spool holder, and use the spool extender thing that goes on top of the cartidge. That set up works like a charm!

Thanks for sharing the instructions for the skirt!

Great job on everything you made. The wording on the PJ set is too cute! The Iron Man set looks fab. I am glad to hear that she enjoyed the movie!

That's too bad about your shirt. In keeping with the Star Wars theme, here's my shirt for today:

I also made a bag for one of my friends for her birthday. It's an ITH project from Pickle Pie Designs.
Awesome job! Love the shirt and love the bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymom1218 View Post
I appliqued one of my tshirts for me to wear during our trip. here it is and some close ups of the appliques.

This turned out great!

D~
DMGeurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #140
mommy2AbIzEli
Earning My Ears

Quote:
The skirt was super easy - no pattern needed. The embroidery took quite a while, but putting the skirt together probably only took an hour.

Warning: text in orange is my rambling - completely unnecessary to make the skirt.

I cut all the fabric into 7 in wide strips. Then I cut each strip into various sized blocks from 4 in to 10 in long.

At this point, most people could just randomly grab blocks (small ones for the top tier, but other than that any size) I, on the other hand, cannot do random. I tell myself that I can, but I always end up planning everything out So I numbered my fabrics, placed the embroidery panels where I wanted them (on paper), and then started numbering. Top tier was just 12E345E67. Second tier, I started in the middle (maybe on 4) and skipped every other space. eg 4E_5_6_E7 etc. Then I came back and filled in. It would end up 4E15263E74 and so on. I skipped two spaces on the bottom tier. Random probably would have worked just as well, but...

Back to the process: I started with a 30 in tier (for a 20 in waist). I serged the blocks together until I had 30 inches and then serged it into a circle. Second tier, same as the first, but 60 inches. Third tier, 120 inches. If you're wondering why I sewed the tiers into circles before attaching them, it was so that there is no one line of stitching from top to bottom so there would be no specific front or back to the skirt. Whatever animal she's in love with at the moment can be the front.

I hemmed the bottom tier before starting the gathering. Much less material to deal with that way.

I trimmed a couple inches off of the top tier and did the waistband. Sewed a 30 inch by 2 inch strip into a circle. Put a buttonhole on one side, then folded it in half longways and serged that onto the top tier - making sure the button hole will be on the inside. My original plan had been to just fold it over at the top to make the waistband, but at the last minute I finally found the tiger stripe and wanted to use some of it. This is how I got different sized tiers when all my blocks started out as 7 in.

Then I put gathering stitches into the tops of tiers 2 and 3. Note: I forgot to change back to the right color after putting in the gathering stitches, oops. Finally I just gathered up the threads and stitched the tiers together, making sure that the embroidered panels did not end up stacked on top of each other. I did serge those seams really quick too because they wanted to ravel otherwise.

I threaded the elastic through the waistband using the button hole, stitched it down on one end, and attached a button on to slip the other end of the elastic over. If you don't want to use button hole elastic, just stitch the two ends together and let them slip back into the hole.

At some point there will be a safari vest, too, but the Cinderella fabric has been waiting so patiently.
Thank you for the directions. I will have to share it with my mom. She's my sewer!!!

Quote:

I used glow in the dark thread for the white circle on his chest so it "glows" like in the movie:

I made this with the intention that we could re-use the skirt for our trip to Universal. I will be making a Harry Potter theme shirt to wear with this skirt. I think the colors will apply to both even though the maroon is probably not "red" enough for Iron Man. As a bonus the jeans part of this skirt was a hand me down but the elastic in the waist was broken so my DD never wore it, it was in my sewing room to fix but I never got around to it and legs are too short now so perfect for an "upcycle". I see a few more of these in my future, with different fabrics of course.

I love this skirt!! I will have to share this with my mom as well. Would love to do some of these for my girls.

Quote:

Then these are some of the centerpieces:

And here are more centerpieces:;

I also made 18 tablecloths and a bunch of other stuff. I made their tallitots too. I think I shared pictures of them already.
How did you make the balls for the centerpieces? Those would be cute for my twin girls Minnie mouse badly party in 3 wks!

Quote:

That is adorable!!!

mommy2AbIzEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #141
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellePrincessBelle View Post
There is a way to bypass the thread cartridge to use a bigger spool on the se270D. I'll see if I can find the instructions on how to in the morning.
Great! I'd love to see the directions. I have one of those spool cartridges that are supposed to work with the larger spools but I find that the thread doesn't run through them smoothly and it breaks.

Quote:
Diane - those centerpieces are amazing. I see you added pictures of your girls to the buckets (I assume they are pictures of them growing up). I love the candle lighting board, so sparkly and fun. Excuse my ignorance, but do you the lighting board at the temple during the ceremony?
The pictures are of them at different stages and at different beaches or tropical places we've visited. The theme for their party is tropical beach so I thought that the pictures were appropriate. The candle lighting is part of the party. The girls invite 12 groups of people who were significant in their lives up to each light one of the candles. They usually include grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, teachers, scout leaders, etc. It is a way of honoring them and thanking them for being a part of their life. Then the 13th candle is for themselves and the the future. Some people add a 14th candle in memory of significant relatives who have passed away but we are lucky enough not need to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
They don't know that we are going back yet, I think they just think maybe someday. Can't decide when we should tell them.
Don't tell them until you are much closer. Having worked with young children, they don't understand time in the same way as adults. You will have to answer the question, "Are we going to Disney today?" for every single day between now and when you actually go next fall.

Quote:

Everything turned out great! Your bag looks perfect for a laptop and I am sure it will get a ton of use. And your daughter's bird for the school project was very creative. I hope she got a good grade on it. The pjs for the party are adorable! I've made my girls pjs before but they never seem to like them very much. I can't figure out why. And the upcycled skirt is so clever. I love that you are using it now for Iron Man and that you will use it again for HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

I don't find that my spool holder for the larger spools works very well. Maybe I need to buy a second one and try it out. Maybe I just don't have a good one. Your Star Wars shirt is great and I love the bag you did for your friend's birthday. I made a bunch of those last year for birthday gifts for my girls' friends. Then I would tuck a small gift card inside to an ice cream place or Starbucks.

Quote:

Love the designs! The shirt is adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2AbIzEli View Post
How did you make the balls for the centerpieces? Those would be cute for my twin girls Minnie mouse badly party in 3 wks!
It is a large Styrofoam ball. I've seen something done for a Minnie Mouse party with two smaller balls attached for the ears. But they covered the balls with gumdrops.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #142
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't tell them until you are much closer. Having worked with young children, they don't understand time in the same way as adults. You will have to answer the question, "Are we going to Disney today?" for every single day between now and when you actually go next fall.
Ha! I have been answering that question every day for the 6 months since we left last time! I have been told, more than once, "All you have to do is go on an airplane and then a bus and we can get to Disney World." I am thinking that it can be like the promise of Santa... Be good or you can't go to Disney World. Mickey is watching.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #143
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

I promised myself when the thread moved this time that I was going to keep up with it, I'm so far behind already. Everyone's work is wonderful.
The discussion about 2007 and the fabric that I called "psychedelic Mickey" reminded me of my granddaughter's first WDW trip in 2007. It was a 5 day trip and by the time I finished sewing she had 10 outfits and 2 nightgowns. I wasn't sure I liked the "psychedlic Mickey" fabric when I bought it but it ended up being one of my favorite outfits and everyone loved it. There was also a floppy hat to match.

And her first princess dress.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #144
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
I promised myself when the thread moved this time that I was going to keep up with it, I'm so far behind already. Everyone's work is wonderful.
The discussion about 2007 and the fabric that I called "psychedelic Mickey" reminded me of my granddaughter's first WDW trip in 2007. It was a 5 day trip and by the time I finished sewing she had 10 outfits and 2 nightgowns. I wasn't sure I liked the "psychedlic Mickey" fabric when I bought it but it ended up being one of my favorite outfits and everyone loved it. There was also a floppy hat to match.

LOVE!!!!!
Especially the princess dress. SWOOOOOON....
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #145
BellePrincessBelle
Nothing says Thanksgiving like some road kill

Quote:

She's a cutie! I love the princess dress!!
BellePrincessBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #146
Tonyslady
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I love this. Do you mind sharing where you got the designs?

TIA
Tonyslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #147
smittette
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I wasn't sure I liked the "psychedlic Mickey" fabric when I bought it but it ended up being one of my favorite outfits and everyone loved it.

I LOVE that psychedelic Mickey fabric! Too bad it's not a current pattern. I did a quick google just in case somebody had some they were selling, but no luck.

The princess dress is adorable! I'm working on my first one now. It's Cinderella inspired, but I was worrying that it's not Cinderella enough - guess I don't need to worry. I'm always way more critical of what I'm doing than what others do.

Funny how I'd never seen nerd Mickey until the other day when I got the pins I ordered.

Then a couple of days later, you posted this.

Quote:

smittette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #148
Disneymom1218
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyslady View Post
I love this. Do you mind sharing where you got the designs?

TIA
Frou Frou by Heather Sue
Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #149
Disneymom1218
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I LOVE that psychedelic Mickey fabric! Too bad it's not a current pattern. I did a quick google just in case somebody had some they were selling, but no luck.

The princess dress is adorable! I'm working on my first one now. It's Cinderella inspired, but I was worrying that it's not Cinderella enough - guess I don't need to worry. I'm always way more critical of what I'm doing than what others do.

Funny how I'd never seen nerd Mickey until the other day when I got the pins I ordered.

Then a couple of days later, you posted this.
I saw the Nerds When we were At Pop Century about 3 years ago and I fell in love with them. The apparel was all for kids and skinny people so I was unable to purchase anything. When I saw the Designs I HAD to purchase them so I could make something in my size, and that is just what I did.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #150
brooke789
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Ha! I have been answering that question every day for the 6 months since we left last time! I have been told, more than once, "All you have to do is go on an airplane and then a bus and we can get to Disney World." I am thinking that it can be like the promise of Santa... Be good or you can't go to Disney World. Mickey is watching.

Ha! I told my husband he is about to be in trouble b/c he is using WDW too much. Yesterday when no one would take their nap he went up and said if they didn't take naps they wouldn't be going to WDW. If they're not good they can't go to WDW. If they didn't learn to use the potty they couldn't go to WDW. He needs to stop. It is too much. hahah
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: