Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #226
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylovingdad View Post
I'm confused. May I ask what this picture shows? There is no story to it unless it was edited. Just curious. I don't know how that picture backs up what you are saying. I don't doubt you are correct but I don't get the context and connection. I see what appears to be a Bahamian official in the background. Is he a Police Officer, or customs or something?
Sigh....Disney wants this episode to be forgotten and it looks like they are succeeding.

Here is everything you need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappe...Rebecca_Coriam
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #227
ATIS1972
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post
Sigh....Disney wants this episode to be forgotten and it looks like they are succeeding.

Here is everything you need to know...
People are smart. They're not gonna let a company, even if it is Disney, just skate something like this. This is way too huge.
ATIS1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #228
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS1972 View Post
People are smart. They're not gonna let a company, even if it is Disney, just skate something like this. This is way too huge.
I agree that most people will not accept it. But trust me, there are "Disney party line" types on this site who fully support the (lack of) action the firm took in this sad episode. In fact, the longer discussion on this tangent continues, the more likely it is members of that crowd will arrive and show their colors.
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #229
ATIS1972
Earning My Ears

When all else is said and done I'm one to make the observation that it appears Disney's current guest screening policy is half-baked, at best. I would appear that while Disney's plan to help make their parks and the resort 'safer' would be a good idea and it looks good on paper, I view this as Disney not being as thourough as perhaps they should be with this, because if their primary objective was to enhance the overall safety of the parks and resort then Disney would be screening for ALL of the really dangerous and deadly crimes and not just stopping short at one or maybe two.

With the policy as it currently is I feel short-changed in that if trying to help make the parks and resort 'safer' were truly the objective, then Disney should either follow through or just get out of the way. Further, I view Disney's policy of summonsing the County Sheriff to issue a trespass warrant to be a form of bullying, which does not sit well with me at all. Which brings me to the case of when Jesus discovered the public rally to stone the woman to death for adultery, Jesus told them that if any one of them in the rally could find themselves completely without sin then they could be the one to throw the first stone at the woman, otherwise, drop the stone.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #230
Disneylovingdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post

Here is everything you need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappe...Rebecca_Coriam
Thank you for the link. I had never heard of this incident. I started on these boards the end of 2011. Guess it was too late for me to catch it. This story is sad and I don't buy for a second that Disney doesn't know more. Maybe they don't know exactly what happened but they have to know more.

As it relates to this story, this thread, and life in general, people have to be responsible for their own safety and security as much as possible. You can't rely on government or corporations to provide total security. There are just too many ways for things to go wrong. You have to remain alert and learn to trust your instincts. There have been studies where when people are told by someone in some sort of position of authority what to do, even if it was the opposite of what any reasonable person would do, they follow along.
Disneylovingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #231
supergoofy
Mouseketeer

I find the policy offensive and ineffective.

Lets start with offensive.

Peeing on side of road

Flashing your upper body part(ladies) at the lake during spring break

Or being 18 and doing something with your 17 year old girlfriend

Can land you on the list. Really this is worthy of a ban.

Now ineffective. I can buy passes all day long with out a name given. And second California has lost on the order of 30,000 sex offenders. If a state can lose that many how do you think will be able to keep track of them?

Yeah I get the idea behind this and on the surface sounds like a great idea but what I fear is people seeing this kind of policy and going "hey my kids can run free as the are completely safe".
supergoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #232
ATIS1972
Earning My Ears

Good points, Supergoofy.

Another thing folks might want to consider is how this banning process affects the families, group members and/or spouses of the one being banned and given direct orders by Disney and the County Sheriff that they must leave the entire Disney property at once. I view that as a way Disney can punish even those who are NOT on any offender or predator list because, in the event the one being banned would happen to be the one with the family or group's transportation, the rest of the group could otherwise end up being stranded somewhere on the resort or they would simply have to leave along with the one who got the ban and trespass warning. It's a mess and I can envision total disaster taking place in the event a scenario like this develops. Entire family's dreams of seeing Walt Disney World perhaps for the very first time, ripped apart at the hands of one tunnelvisioned screening process policy.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #233
old lady
DIS Veteran

Hopefully, they do not file discrimation suit saying their rights are being violated, but Disney does have to protect its main customers from abuse. They don't hire those kind of people either.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #234
ATIS1972
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by old lady View Post
Hopefully, they do not file discrimation suit saying their rights are being violated, but Disney does have to protect its main customers from abuse. They don't hire those kind of people either.
Disney DOES have the right to protect its main customers and of course Disney DOES have the right to refuse service to anyone; any business has that right.

But by the same token theme park goers and vacationers have ALWAYS had the right to choose and if they wish, choose NOT to patronise the Disney and do business with Disney altogether. That's ALWAYS been our right and we can vote with our wallets easy enough. In light of this we see that the Walt Disney Company is not really doing its customers the service to the calibre that their guest screening policy claims it is doing, by only screening for a few things while condoning so many other, very worrisome things that do involve other forms of dangerous criminals being allowed thru the gates of their parks on a daily basis.

Right now Disney's current guest screening policy is viewed as being broken and unfair in regards to the overall goal their screening policy is supposed to be achieving. Instead it's causing much-anticipated vacations and family plans for Disney fun to be torn apart at the seams whenever someone in the group should have the misfortune of receiving the bad news and the trespass from the County Sheriff.

Now a whole lot of people in this world who have experienced the magic and the wonders of Walt Disney World and all it has to offer like to spread the word to others about their great and memorable visits to the WDW parks and resort and that generates new interest that translates into new and continued ticket sales and resort hotel bookings, but by the same token folks can, and have the right to, speak truthfully of their bad experiences they have had with anything of Walt Disney World and it's a sure bet folks who do run into the misfortune of the magnitude of the topic of this thread of discussion are gonna talk and naturally it's going to discourage others from choosing to visit, which can translate to a decreased amount of ticket sales and a decreased amount of interest in vacation packages and resort hotel stays at the WDW Resort, altogether and I would like to think that Disney is a company that wouldn't want to do anything that would eventually translate into anything that would cause a decrease in interest among potential customers and returning guests.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: