Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

If you really want to help her...I recommend pricing out a couple options to show her, and have a good idea of what her budget is.
Frugal means different things to different people, so even if it sounds like a good idea to you to stay on property, she could likely spend less money to stay off, and get more space.
Personally, I found 4 people in a Moderate to be crowded, so I can't imagine putting 5 people in a Value.

As others have said about the dining plan, it is not a good way to save money UNLESS you plan on eating exactly what it provides. We spent close to $500 less than we would have spent on the dining plan for our last trip, because we don't eat how it specifies. If we had done the dining plan, we would have had to pay for several things out of pocket and some credits would have gone to waste.
If she likes the idea of having everything paid for in advance, then it might be ok.
Also, with the dining plan, what will her kids ages be during her trip? Will the 9 year old be 10 by then? If so, will she eat enough to justify the extra cost for the plan?
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

I'm a big fan of Disney Gift Cards as a way of pre paying for meals, on site rooms, tickets, souvenirs... You can add money to an exsisting card by calling DelivEARS ~ 800-362-4533 *you give the CM your credit/debit card info and they mail you the receipt. Last time I did this *a couple months ago* the $$ was on the GC the next day.
Take a picture of your card(s) email the card number and PIN to yourself that way if it's lost it can be replaced.
You can also purchase DGCs at Target by using their debit or credit card - save 5% or more *prescription refill additional discount after 5.

Kroger and other grocers occasionally offer fuel reward discounts on gift cards and carry the Disney GCs.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Fiveisaparty
Mouseketeer

She is tight with her money, but money isn't tight per say. She just wants a good deal

Last edited by Fiveisaparty; 04-30-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Fiveisaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
depends on how 'frugal' your friend is..... if she's simply too cheap to go,that's one thing.....DDP is a tremendous waste of money,and isn't at all 'frugal' at full price. She and her kids can eat far cheaper paying OOP.cereal and milk in the room, kids share some meals at CS..... bringing snacks in the stroller...DDP makes no sense,unless it's discounted.
Well it's really going to depend on how they eat. I can't get the DDP (or QS plan) to work for my family because of the way we eat.

But in her family there are TWO children who would be on the kid's plan, and if they eat exactly how the plan calls for, those two kids might make up for the mom's plan (if the mom's plan doesn't quite match how she eats). If there are two parents going then they would really have to work it out.

So I think the first step is to print out the dining plan brochures and really go over what the plans entail. Go through wdwinfo and allears menus with prices, explaining what the Plan entitlements mean, etc.

There are almost no desserts on site that my family can have and we don't drink soda at all, so those parts of the meal entitlements are useless to us. If her 9 and 3 year old are used to desserts and sodas, and there are no ingredient issues, then it might be worth it. (we have relatives who ONLY allow soda at WDW, and the kids have really bad reactions to the sweetener in the sodas, so it makes for very DIFFICULT days for everyone...I personally would rather allow a "treat" like that during normal life rather than an expensive vacation!)

So they have to figure out HOW it works and IF it would work for them. IMO there's no absolute when it comes to the plans and how they work for any given group of people, except for there being no absolute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
The first two weeks of Dec. are very popular with DVC members because they require so few points. As a result, it can be very difficult to get reservations. This would be especially true if you think that you can somehow get an AKV Value Studio, which is the only villa that I can think of that would cost less to rent than to stay in an AllStar room.

IF you could find someone who owns at AKV and IF they were somehow able to snag an AKV Value Studio for the dates the OP wants, then it is most probable that they would want at least $13/pt. for the rental - paid for at the time that the reservation is confirmed - because it is the type of reservation that requires the DVC owner to work very hard at getting. Those 4 nights would be $500+. And like I said before, this is a reservation that would be almost impossible to secure at this late date.

Compare that to a room at ASMo for the same time period. The rack rate is just under $500 for 4 nights in a standard location. With a room discount, the OP's friend would make out much better to stay in an AllStar resort than to rent DVC points.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveisaparty View Post
If she buys her tickets from UT and her room seperate, will she lose out if there are discounts offered on packages come this fall?

TIA!
If she already has tickets, then yes she would miss out on packages offered later. Packages involve tickets, so she would end up double-buying tickets, and that's very much the opposite of frugal.

So if she wanted something just in case no packages come out, she could reserve a room-only booking. PLAN to buy the tickets from undercovertourist, but don't buy them until the trip is closer and she's sure there will be no further packages that would end up being cheaper overall.

If a package comes out, she would have the room-only deposit returned, and would be charged a package down-payment. As far as I have read, they can't swap the money between the two. Then the full package payment would be due at 45 days out. With room-only, the balance is due during the actual stay.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #20
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Generally (on average) you do not save on a package compared with room only / separately purchased tickets unless there is something special such as free dining in the package.

Just a personal prejudice but I don't like dealing with private parties for rentals such as with Disney Vacation Club point deals. Too great of a chance for something to go wrong. I also don't like dealing with on line middlemen such as Orbitz or Expedia either but that's a different (and OT) program.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: