Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Fiveisaparty
Mouseketeer

Help Me get my frugal friend to Disney World with me!!!

I have a friend that is considering going to WDW with me but she is super super SUPER frugal! I consider myself frugal, but I've got nothing on her

Anyway, I wanted to bounce some options of you guys. I would be the first week of Dec probably 4 or 5 nights. She has 3 girls (9, 3, 1). So she could get by with a 4 ppl room and a crib. POP? AOA? I think she'd like the dining plan, but not a deal breaker. I just wanted to check and see if you had any secrets to a great deal. I was thinking maybe Orbitz, but then you have to pay at once, so I don't know if that would be that great. If she buys her tickets from UT and her room seperate, will she lose out if there are discounts offered on packages come this fall?

TIA!

Fiveisaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveisaparty View Post
I have a friend that is considering going to WDW with me but she is super super SUPER frugal! I consider myself frugal, but I've got nothing on her

Anyway, I wanted to bounce some options of you guys. I would be the first week of Dec probably 4 or 5 nights. She has 3 girls (9, 3, 1). So she could get by with a 4 ppl room and a crib. POP? AOA? I think she'd like the dining plan, but not a deal breaker. I just wanted to check and see if you had any secrets to a great deal. I was thinking maybe Orbitz, but then you have to pay at once, so I don't know if that would be that great. If she buys her tickets from UT and her room seperate, will she lose out if there are discounts offered on packages come this fall?

TIA!
Stay off site, Isn't Dec consider peak season which means it really be really expensive then
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Fiveisaparty
Mouseketeer

The first week is not expensive. It's 102 a night for pop

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveisaparty View Post
The first week is not expensive. It's 102 a night for pop
Okay, 102 is a lot for me when you get rooms much cheaper then that.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
WDGPCFR
WDGPCFR

Go to the Disney site and go through the process of booking a trip for the dates but just save it not book it. There is a good chance they will send you a pin number for a discount. Another option is look at buying someone's DVC points.
WDGPCFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Fiveisaparty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDGPCFR View Post
Another option is look at buying someone's DVC points.
I thought about this one too! I will have to look into it further. I totally want to do this for our next trip. Although really I want to buy a DVC, but DH is not a disney fan, so I don't think he would go for it

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Last time we went the first week of December free dining was offered. I don't think the codes for it came out until October.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
mjlewis23
Mouseketeer

I went the second week of December in 2011. Stayed 4 nights, $75 a night for 2 nights and $85 a night for the second 2 nights at All Star Music. Watch the deals that come out, you will probably get the same deal. With little ones, there are so many opportunities for meal splitting. Get an adult portion at most counter service and you can feed all 3 of them. The pizza at ASM feeds them all easily for $20 (and they'll have leftover cold pizza for the morning...lol)

That December trip was by far my cheapest, but one of the best!
mjlewis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I would do a value on site. Early December is low season and there is a good chance of free dining. Being on site would make it easier to split up if need be to return to the resort for rest with little ones. I would strongly encourage the DDP even if its not free as the kids would love the freedom of drinks and dessert if they are used to a very frugal mom.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

...just another name for frugal!

I'm very budget minded as well and wouldn't consider staying anywhere but an all-star resort for that time in December! You can bring snacks and beverages into the parks now, so plan for one main fun meal with the kids and stay away from the wallet-busting drinks and snacks. There are plenty of days between now and December for kids to do chores and special work to earn spending credits for their souveniers. We used to do a spend down when our DS and DD were small and when they ran out of money they were doneDepending on finances, she could do one day at the resort and Downtown Disney and avoid park admission entirely. Also, don't spend money for a park on your travel days.Bus over to MK and take the monorail or boat over to deluxe resorts for some exploring. Animal Kingdom Lodge is an awesome place to watch the animals, look over all the historical items and African art objects without spending a dime for admission. For evenings in the park, gather a nice selection of glow sticks, necklaces, and wands from DollarTree. They sure beat the heck out of the complicated and very expensive glow toys sold off the carts as sundown approaches. This board hosts tons of tips for making the most of your hard-earned money. Keep searching and reading.
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I second trying to rent DVC points. The first two weeks in Dec are off season and you can get a deluxe property like Animal Kingdom Villas for the same price you would pay to stay at the All Stars. I would forgo the Dining Plan as she will most likely pay less money out of pocket. I admit it's a nice "conveinence" factor to have meals pre paid, but I find it's too much food that gets thrown away and way too many desserts. I bring a small suitcase with breakfast foods with me, plus snacks and a refillable water bottle for me and my kids as you can go to any quick service location as they will give you free ice water. I even bring some microwave mac and cheese, chef boyardee, soups, etc that we can do for quick dinners and bagels, peanut butter-jelly-fluff for some sandwiches. There are several places that offer half chicken meals and that is way too much for me and I always hated throwing half of it away, however me and my two girls are able to eat the whole thing together plus the two sides and then we actually have room to share a big dessert somewhere later on.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

depends on how 'frugal' your friend is..... if she's simply too cheap to go,that's one thing.....DDP is a tremendous waste of money,and isn't at all 'frugal' at full price. She and her kids can eat far cheaper paying OOP.cereal and milk in the room, kids share some meals at CS..... bringing snacks in the stroller...DDP makes no sense,unless it's discounted.
Stay at the cheapest onsite hotel you can,and take the buses everywhere,it will be fun. Pay OOP for tickets and food,and that's about as cheap as it will get. Like a pp said, go to the disney site and price out the room,then you'll know what you're dealing with. I personally don't like offsite choices,and the only way renting DVC would be cheaper is if y ou can all get into a 2 bedroom,and share the cost.
I've taken my kids when they were young, brought our own food, ate some cs,rarely ate TS,shared a large soda at lunch,you name it,we did it. we always had lots of fun.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
depends on how 'frugal' your friend is..... if she's simply too cheap to go,that's one thing.....DDP is a tremendous waste of money,and isn't at all 'frugal' at full price. She and her kids can eat far cheaper paying OOP.cereal and milk in the room, kids share some meals at CS..... bringing snacks in the stroller...DDP makes no sense,unless it's discounted.
Stay at the cheapest onsite hotel you can,and take the buses everywhere,it will be fun. Pay OOP for tickets and food,and that's about as cheap as it will get. Like a pp said, go to the disney site and price out the room,then you'll know what you're dealing with. I personally don't like offsite choices,and the only way renting DVC would be cheaper is if y ou can all get into a 2 bedroom,and share the cost.
I've taken my kids when they were young, brought our own food, ate some cs,rarely ate TS,shared a large soda at lunch,you name it,we did it. we always had lots of fun.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read OP. Ice water is FREE at CS places. So no need to spend $3.00 for a bottle.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger51276 View Post
I second trying to rent DVC points. The first two weeks in Dec are off season and you can get a deluxe property like Animal Kingdom Villas for the same price you would pay to stay at the All Stars.
The first two weeks of Dec. are very popular with DVC members because they require so few points. As a result, it can be very difficult to get reservations. This would be especially true if you think that you can somehow get an AKV Value Studio, which is the only villa that I can think of that would cost less to rent than to stay in an AllStar room.

IF you could find someone who owns at AKV and IF they were somehow able to snag an AKV Value Studio for the dates the OP wants, then it is most probable that they would want at least $13/pt. for the rental - paid for at the time that the reservation is confirmed - because it is the type of reservation that requires the DVC owner to work very hard at getting. Those 4 nights would be $500+. And like I said before, this is a reservation that would be almost impossible to secure at this late date.

Compare that to a room at ASMo for the same time period. The rack rate is just under $500 for 4 nights in a standard location. With a room discount, the OP's friend would make out much better to stay in an AllStar resort than to rent DVC points.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

OP, is your friend just tight with her money or is money tight? There's a big difference and if it's the latter, I don't know if you will be able to get her there without having to compromise on your own vacation ideals.

Forget the dining plans. You can eat cheaper without them. That's not to say that you will eat as well. If you want to eat well when you're at Disney, you're going to pay a price for it. If you want cheap, there are ways to do it. You've already gotten suggestions on snacks and light meals.

Accommodations are almost always cheaper offsite. She would need a resort that has transportation to the parks so that she doesn't need to rent a car. If the two of you are driving to Orlando, then the cost of parking needs to be considered.

Tickets are a major budget-buster and there's no getting around the high cost. Even buying them from a ticket discounter is going to be expensive. At least the baby gets in free! She might be able to do a timeshare presentation to get free tickets, but there are restrictions. If she is married, her spouse needs to be present, too. If she doesn't have an income above a certain level, she won't be able to take advantage of it.

If she is really motivated to go, then maybe she can focus on some of the rewards programs that a lot of people do for pocket money. She could do a few surveys every day and maybe make enough to pay for one meal by December. If she works really hard at it, she might be able to earn enough to pay for one or two nights in the hotel.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: