Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegal View Post
Usually I can find Florida resident rooms for 80$ or less but now I only saw then for $145+ for this weekends and we need 2 rooms.
If you need two rooms, odds are good you can find a 2 BR condo for less than it would cost for two hotel rooms onsite. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is the only one I know of with a pretty good shuttle service, but there's a local bus route on Irlo Bronson that runs twice an hour. Personally, I would drive, but the buses give my teenagers a bit more freedom.

I'd check the prices on Bonnet Creek (one of the threads in this forum should give you some tips on where to find the best prices), and if it's too pricey for you I'd look into Vacation Village at Parkway (the condos, not the hotel rooms), or Sheraton Vistana Resort (not Vistana Village, which is further away). VVaP is on the bus route, Sheraton Vistana is not. VVaP has always been cheaper than Bonnet Creek when I've been price checking; Sheraton sometimes is and sometimes isn't.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
siegal
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. drive to parks it is.
siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
jeff968
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I'd check the prices on Bonnet Creek (one of the threads in this forum should give you some tips on where to find the best prices), and if it's too pricey for you I'd look into Vacation Village at Parkway (the condos, not the hotel rooms), or Sheraton Vistana Resort (not Vistana Village, which is further away).
I would stay at the Villages any day over the Resort (having stayed at both). Even though the Resort is about a mile closer the Villages are much newer and nicer and I would even add that you could most likely get to Disney faster from there.

For the Villages, take a right out of the resort, left on to Westwood Blvd, and pick up the entrance to route 4 south on your left and you are on your way. I've stayed at many of the resorts in this area including the Villages and it is always very smooth.

For the resort you have to deal with 535 west which continues to be a bigger and bigger nightmare. Taking a left out of the resort puts you right into that mess trying to take a left to pickup Rt 4 south.

When giving advice about driving in Orlando one should consider the traffic as much as location.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
When giving advice about driving in Orlando one should consider the traffic as much as location.
True, but in my experience the traffic varies considerable. We've stayed in the same resort different trips, and for the fastest way out in May you turned right at the entrance; quickly learned that next year that if we wanted out of there in January in anything like reasonable time, better turn left.

For that matter, when we stayed across from the Villages at the Fountains, we went down to World Center Drive and never hit serious traffic, plus thought it a nice drive. Taking Westwood out to I-4 would have been much more hassle. Maybe the people I know who say to stay in the SV resort rather than Villages are going in different seasons.

OTOH, maybe they just prefer the activities and pools at the Resort, and since they're generally happier there than at the Villages, the trip to WDW seems shorter! I do know they keep an eye on refurbishments and used to make a big deal about getting refurbished units there, but that seems not to be the issue it once was.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote