Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
siegal
Earning My Ears

Staying off property

Even the budget disney hotels were out of my price range so I plan to stay at an off property hotel nearby. Any suggestions? They have transportation right? How does that work?
siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegal View Post
Even the budget disney hotels were out of my price range so I plan to stay at an off property hotel nearby. Any suggestions? They have transportation right? How does that work?
If you're off site, it's really best to have a car. Even hotels that advertise transportation don't have frequent transportation like on a Disney schedule. They may have 2 buses in the morning going to a particular Disney location, and 2 in the evening but the last one usually picks up before park closing times. Some hotels make you reserve and/or pay for transportation, so definitely check into what you will get before booking anything. Check the Orlando Resorts boards here on the DIS for more advice.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

there are a few with good transportation - but nothing like WDW.

downtown disney hotels, Wyndham Bonnet Creek - but these are not cheap.

to get inexpensive and offsite - you need a rental car - go to the transportation board to get discount off your rental car.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

if you really don't want a car and you think you won't mind multiple stops - then quality inn - but go with expedia

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
If you're off site, it's really best to have a car. Even hotels that advertise transportation don't have frequent transportation like on a Disney schedule. They may have 2 buses in the morning going to a particular Disney location, and 2 in the evening but the last one usually picks up before park closing times. Some hotels make you reserve and/or pay for transportation, so definitely check into what you will get before booking anything. Check the Orlando Resorts boards here on the DIS for more advice.
I agree that you will need a car and then of course you will have to pay for parking. Adding in that cost, I would think it would be more cost effective to stay at a value if you only have 4 people or fewer.
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
MindyMouse76
Mouseketeer

Not sure if you are flying or driving to the World. If you are flying, it really pays to stay onsite - you get free transportation from the airport to the hotel. Then you can use the reliable bus transportation your entire stay.

Also, if you stay offsite, you have to pay the parking fees daily to get to the parks.

Not sure what hotel you can find cheaper than the value resort ones - but really do the math of the other fees (like parking and rental car) before you make a final decision.

Good Luck!
MindyMouse76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
siegal
Earning My Ears

Thanks.

Usually I can find Florida resident rooms for 80$ or less but now I only saw then for $145+ for this weekends and we need 2 rooms. We have a car as we are driving. Maybe a cab ride in the morning and night and take the transportation around during the day?
siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

We have stayed at the Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Royal Plaza all right by Downtown Disney. In fact I just stopped and stayed by myself at the HI on my way home from taking care of family last month. No, it is *not* like staying on site but the DTD hotels are very nice and affordable. Of the three, I liked the Holiday Inn the best. The valet service is exceptional with the kindest folks you can imagine. They know me from previous trips, can see the entire parking lot, and are always watching to make sure you get in and out okay. Parking is $10 for non-valet and I think $14 for valet. That particular hotel does NOT charge the resort fee that all the others charge so as you look at hotels and costs, keep that in mind. If you go on TripAdvisor.com you will see very few bad reviews of the hotel.

The Hilton was okay. I was quite disappointed in them during our last stay and it had a lot to do with finding blood all over our sheets on our first night there and the folks at the hotel saying it was okay because it was obvious that the sheets had gone through the wash, but the washing hadn't gotten all the blood out.....so gross! Their parking is more expensive, staff was not friendly, and the parking lot was huge and actually creepy at night.

Royal Plaza....meh.....nothing great, nothing not so great. I felt nickled and dimed there.

When you add in a rental car, unless you really want to have one, staying at the offsite/DTD resorts is a great way to go. Transportation is available all the time.

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks.

Usually I can find Florida resident rooms for 80$ or less but now I only saw then for $145+ for this weekends and we need 2 rooms. We have a car as we are driving. Maybe a cab ride in the morning and night and take the transportation around during the day?
I would just drive your car and pay to park. A cab will cost more than that, especially 2x a day. During the day, you can use Disney transportation to get around Disney locations, if that's what you meant.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
I would just drive your car and pay to park. A cab will cost more than that, especially 2x a day. During the day, you can use Disney transportation to get around Disney locations, if that's what you meant.
And depending on the resort, they may not have transportation during the whole of the day. Some have it a couple times in the morning and then a couple times at night. That is it. And some charge for it too.

If you have a car, drive it, and figure the parking cost into your budget.

What resorts are you checking out?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

I think DTD hotel transportation is fairly good - better than many off site hotels.

Second to DTD hotels I would choose a hotel on Palm Parkway (Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista and many other choices) - most hotels have shuttles but they aren't always so convenient and if you stayed on Palm Parkway there is a Lynx bus #50 that goes every 30 minutes from Ticket and Transportation Center and Downtown Disney - fare is $2 per person - in case you want to bale on the shuttle you have a second option.

You can always book Mears from the airport (around $30 per person) or Lynx #111 but that will only go as far as Seaworld area and you'd have to switch to the #50 but it is inexpensive at $2 per person.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
christineann
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the DTD Best Western in December 2011, and there was no daily parking fee. We parked the car and enjoyed the first night at DTD and 3 days in the parks without ever using the car (I hate driving on vacations). The buses came on a regular schedule, and we used them to get to the parks at opening and back to the hotel after closing every day. We loved the convenience and the price and plan to do so again.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

Since you have a car, off site is a good option.

We like Bahama Bay, a few miles SW of WDW. They are 2-3 bedroom condos, so you won't need 2 rooms. Less than $100/night, but be aware of taxes, resort fee, and a cleaning fee.

Some other off property hotels have been nasty. We stayed at a Best Western (may be another brand now) in Kissimmee once, so disgusting we left the next day. Another bad one was the Quality Inn near I-4 and 27.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks.

I would take a look on Mousesavers.com web site They have preferred hotels that they freq get discounts on. I believe right now you can find a discount from them for the hotels in Marriott Village. They have Fairfield inn, Springhill Suites and Courtyard. All come with breakfast. Use the Mousesavers link or code to book directly with Marriott. They are very close to DTD.

Mousesavers recommended hotels are pretty safe. You won't find a flee bag run down hotel with their recommendations. One August we got a suite at the DTD doubletree with free breakfast for around $80ish a night with their discount
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to move this over to the Orlando Hotels board, which is the place to go for information on offsite resorts.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
froggygal1301
Earning My Ears

We stayed at the Extended Stay America on Palm Pkwy a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. We drove each day and loved the convenience of coming and going when we wanted, not by a bus schedule. The rooms have little kitchenettes w/ full size fridges, there's a continental breakfast in the mornings, pool, hot tub, laundry area, etc. Definitely recommend it. It is around $65 per night.
froggygal1301 is offline   Reply With Quote