Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Checking in- online or in person?

Sorry if this has been answered before (if it has pls point me in the right direction for the answer). Wanting to know opinions about which is preferred - online check in (which I can do now) or checking in once we are there? What are the pros & cons? Thx for your help!
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I love the online check in as I have done it the past 2 trips...it was great, go in, stand for a moment at the online checkin and someone comes along and asks if you have been taken care of and if not, we were rushed to an open CM and poof!!! We were in and out and our way to our room within a matter of a few minutesI will do it again in August...good luck...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer

But with online checkIn, don't you then eliminate any chance for an upgrade if they are not full? Or do they not really do the whole upgrade thing that much anyway?
BuddyThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
PA Disneymania
Mouseketeer

The only time I had an upgrade (at CSR - a suite!) we did online check-in.
PA Disneymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer

Ha ha. Goes to show how much I know.
BuddyThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
I love the online check in as I have done it the past 2 trips...it was great, go in, stand for a moment at the online checkin and someone comes along and asks if you have been taken care of and if not, we were rushed to an open CM and poof!!! We were in and out and our way to our room within a matter of a few minutesI will do it again in August...good luck...
Thanks so much for your help. We did online check in last year but wanted to make sure that was the best way. Thx!
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
FigmentFan1975
Earning My Ears

When you did online check-in, when did you do it?
A few days before? A few weeks before?
Looking for some personal experiences, not looking for when you are officially allowed to check-in online... Tried to ask this before but didnt get what I was looking for, hope someone sees this, thanks!
FigmentFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentFan1975
Looking for some personal experiences, not looking for when you are officially allowed to check-in online... Tried to ask this before but didnt get what I was looking for, hope someone sees this, thanks!
I've done online check in twice, both times about a week to ten days before we arrived. We haven't been since 2011, so the new online check in procedure of 60 days prior to arrival (correct me if I'm wrong) was not available to me.
It has always gone smoothly, our room ready at noon once, and our room preferences met.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I did my online check in the day before...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentFan1975 View Post
Not sure what you're looking for. When, or if, you do online check in makes no difference. There's no difference between doing it at 60 days out or 1 day out. To answer your question, I've always done it as soon as it was available. Which for us was always 10 days out. Our next trip, I'm sure I'll do it at 60 days out. I'm usually so excited to do "something" for our trip I have to do it right away.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
RobDugan
Earning My Ears

I didn't online check in on my last trip and it was a hassle. We didn't get our preferred room and had a King size bed for me my wife and son. They moved us the next day but it was really inconvenient. I don't know if online check in would have made it better.
RobDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We have always done on-line check in. Love being able to grab and go.
We just got back from a trip to YC. We had booked a SV CL room and did on-line check in. Well, we were upgraded to Lagoon/Pool view CL room (and chosen as Family of the Day), so obviously our checking in on line had no affect on our ability to be upgraded! Pixie Dust doesn't discriminate according to how you checked in.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

We did online check in this past March at WL, it was so easy. It was during the height of Spring Break crowds, and amazingly the room was ready at 9:30 AM when we got there. The CM did everything via her iPad as soon as we drove up to the resort - no lines, and off we went!
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
But with online checkIn, don't you then eliminate any chance for an upgrade if they are not full? Or do they not really do the whole upgrade thing that much anyway?
nope. I did online check in back in February and asked for an area around a specific room. When I got to the desk, I was in another area. When I mentioned this, she went to the back and came back with the exact room I requested. She did tell me that I had checked the "have my room ready despite requests" and that was why they didn't honor it. So I went from a Standard to Interior Courtyard view at WL
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I did on line check-in at the 60 day mark for last week's trip. It was a breeze and I received all of my room requests (top floor, away from elevator). I had a standard room at CSR and Loved it! I walked in and was on my way to my room with in a couple of minutes!

I had read on a previous thread a CM recommended doing on line check-in ASAP if you have requests. That way they will do their best to meet those requests, as opposed to someone who does on line check-in at the last minute.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: