Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
pocomom
Brr.....

Gardeners, what are you planting?

It's rainy and cold day today, since I can't be out in the garden, I thought I would talk about it!
What are you planting this year?
I'm trying potatoes for the first time, carrots, celery, lots of onions peppers and eggplant (later in the season for us) several kinds of tomatoes, strawberries (Back from last year ) and blueberries and blackberries that appeared to have surrived the deer mowing them down to stubs. Cabbages, Broccoli, squashes, melons, pretty much all the regulars! Lettuce I grow in the garage under grow lights and it is ready to start harvesting!
I started everything from seed this year, and I can't believe I ever bothered with buying plants - huge cost savings and it is much easier to extend the harvest by starting a few plants every week.
We've expanded our garden quite a bit to help out with food costs, and I'm trying to figure out some cost effective ways of keeping the critters out. We now have a high fence, so the deer shouldn't be a problem anymore (they did eat the tops off of ALL my spring flowers though ) but I have some critters that come in under (i assume) and things I plant will just be gone the next day... I'm putting a few things in containers to help with that.
The kids and I made some "pots" out newspaper, so we can transplant directly to
the garden- worked well and was free!
Can't wait for it to get warmer! So what are you growing this year?
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
CTdiznymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
It's rainy and cold day today, since I can't be out in the garden, I thought I would talk about it!
What are you planting this year?
I'm trying potatoes for the first time, carrots, celery, lots of onions peppers and eggplant (later in the season for us) several kinds of tomatoes, strawberries (Back from last year ) and blueberries and blackberries that appeared to have surrived the deer mowing them down to stubs. Cabbages, Broccoli, squashes, melons, pretty much all the regulars! Lettuce I grow in the garage under grow lights and it is ready to start harvesting!
I started everything from seed this year, and I can't believe I ever bothered with buying plants - huge cost savings and it is much easier to extend the harvest by starting a few plants every week.
We've expanded our garden quite a bit to help out with food costs, and I'm trying to figure out some cost effective ways of keeping the critters out. We now have a high fence, so the deer shouldn't be a problem anymore (they did eat the tops off of ALL my spring flowers though ) but I have some critters that come in under (i assume) and things I plant will just be gone the next day... I'm putting a few things in containers to help with that.
The kids and I made some "pots" out newspaper, so we can transplant directly to
the garden- worked well and was free!
Can't wait for it to get warmer! So what are you growing this year?
Well, you definately put me to shame! I'm in sw CT, (don't know where you are!) and I have a tiny 4 x 8 raised bed. Stores are just starting to stock their plants and I couldn't resist so I bought 4 tomato plants, some swiss chard, 2 packs of red leaf lettuce, basil and yellow squash. I plan on getting some parsley, and some cherry tomato plants. I'm not much of a gardener, I plant and pretty much hope for the best!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

We've been raised bed gardeners for several years, and I love love love it! Being able to step out my back door and assemble a fresh salad is fantastic. I love watching my kids walk through the garden and pluck off a few lettuce leaves to snack on. We've committed to using as much of our land as we can for growing food. I've finally just admitted that I'm a tree-hugging hippy lol.

We've expanded a bit this year as well. We planted banana peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, several varieties of tomato, eggplants, cucumbers, tons of bell peppers, tons of bush beans, and tons of lettuces (butter, red sails, and romaine). We gambled and put our garden in the first week of March (we're in southeast Louisiana). We did have a cold snap that had us covering the garden for a few nights, but everyone survived, thankfully, and we've been enjoying lettuce from the garden for salads almost nightly. I also put in a small herb garden, basically just expanded on herbs we've planted in previous years. I have a rosemary the size of a phone booth, as well as parsley, sweet basil, garlic chives, green onions, thyme, sage, and mint (in a container so it won't take over the joint). Living in the Deep South and having a very long growing season is a huge blessing.

A few years ago, we planted Meyer lemons and satsumas, so we enjoy those in the Fall. We also planted 6 varieties of blueberries this year, so were impatiently waiting until they mature. One is bearing fruit already, and my kids use it as a snack vending machine haha! None of the ripe ones make it inside .

We also planted a fig, and a pear tree this year, and I'm on the lookout for a pomegranate. Our pear is an Orient, so maybe well be able to enjoy it before retirement.

We also started composting this year, which is new for us. My honey built me a big double decker 55 gal drum tumbling composter, and I'm steadily filling that sucker up.

Always dreaming about our yearly September trip .
Svhadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

I've got a bunch of seedlings on my dining room table and need to plant! Ugh, just a bit longer.... I'm going to plant some herbs (rosemary, basil, chives, etc.), tomatoes, strawberries (we've had terrific luck with ours out front), lemon cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, beans, swiss chard and beets. I also have a critter problem but I am thinking a snow fence will keep the deer out (that and our 90 lb lab/shepherd mix) but I don't think I can do too much about the rats, mice and raccoons that like to come perusing the area. I figure I'm going to give this area in back a go and if I lose too much, I'll turn it into a flower garden instead.

Side note: anyone know how to ward off powdery mildew? I always seem to lose my zucchini to it.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
I've got a bunch of seedlings on my dining room table and need to plant! Ugh, just a bit longer.... I'm going to plant some herbs (rosemary, basil, chives, etc.), tomatoes, strawberries (we've had terrific luck with ours out front), lemon cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, beans, swiss chard and beets. I also have a critter problem but I am thinking a snow fence will keep the deer out (that and our 90 lb lab/shepherd mix) but I don't think I can do too much about the rats, mice and raccoons that like to come perusing the area. I figure I'm going to give this area in back a go and if I lose too much, I'll turn it into a flower garden instead.

Side note: anyone know how to ward off powdery mildew? I always seem to lose my zucchini to it.
I've heard baking soda works? but I haven't needed to try it myself...
I had a burried fence for the little critters but they are pretty ambitious, I think I need to dig it down. I've heard pet and human hair helps, and crushed, cleaned egg shells for rodents- but that may get you MORE racoons!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
hlg22
Mouseketeer

I am SO excited to be gardening in raised beds for the first time this year. I had 4 3'x6' beds with drip irrigation installed over the winter, and am actually taking gardening lessons with a garden coach, since I've never grown anything other than herbs and a few veggies in containers before! So far, we've planted:

arugula
baby bok choi
broccoli raab
scotch kale
laciantato kale
collards
cylindra beet
crosby beet
detroit red beet
burpee's golden beet
rainbow chard
spinach
salad mix
redleaf lettuce
arugula
cress
tendersweet carrot
dragon carrot
yellow carrot
leeks
onions (red and yellow)
cilantro
peas
dragon's tongue beans
green bush beans
heirloom and grape tomatoes
Bintje potatoes
purple potatoes
red potatoes
red bell peppers
sweet peppers
some sort of spicy asian pepper that I can't recall
basil (regular, purple & thai)
eggplant
squash (zucchini & yellow)
borage
marigolds
cosmos
calendula

I've also got rosemary, thyme, mint and chives in pots, as well as fig and Meyer lemon trees. I am sure there is something I'm forgetting. It is kind of insane to me how much stuff is able to go into those beds...I'm getting so many greens already that I'm eating huge salads for dinner every night! I am really enjoying learning about gardening as well - we never had a vegetable garden growing up and my approach before was just to throw things in pots and see what lived. Learning to do things the right way is really fun (but a lot more time consuming!).
hlg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I have tomatoes (four varieties), bell peppers (four colors), eggplant, sugar beets, corn, popcorn, peas, green beans, lima beans, red beans, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, green onions, potatoes (red & white), zucchini, summer squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, winter squash (two varieties), pumpkin, cucumbers, quinoa, asparagus, and lettuce in my raised beds. I also have two 10' rows of strawberries in planters made from vinyl gutters, 6 blueberry bushes, and two 20' rows of trellised raspberries, three fruit trees (pear, apple, sweet cherry), and a container herb garden.

I add to my gardens every year. It has become a sickness that isn't particularly budget-friendly! This year I'm building planter-and-trellis space for grapes and hearty kiwi, adding a couple more apple trees, and constructing a hydroponic tower-planter (using a system Disney showcases on the Behind the Seeds tour) for sub-tropicals so that I can easily bring them indoors for the winter.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Well, I am intending to plant tomatoes, green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, canteloupe, strawberries and herbs for tomato sauce & salsa. Yesterday, DH went to loosen up the dirt for me only to uncover a nest of rabbits. *sigh*

We had 2 rabbit nests in years past that we babied then they died of natural causes. We took the dogs out on leashes, the kids loved to check on them, mama was coming to feed them, and it was so sad when they died.

Now, we are kind of over the rabbits. Last year, we had a baby rabbit massacre because the dogs found the nest before we did. Dumb bunny dug it right in the middle of our yard!

This year, she outplayed us. Our garden fence was up from last year and connects to our back garage wall. She buried them next to the wall, in the fenced garden area! UGH. If I plant, it might as well be a baby bunny nursery - protected spot to hop when old enough & plenty of food.

I'd like to learn more and eventually get a compost & rain barrel going. Right now, it's a plant & see what survives kind of operation.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Well, I am intending to plant tomatoes, green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, canteloupe, strawberries and herbs for tomato sauce & salsa. Yesterday, DH went to loosen up the dirt for me only to uncover a nest of rabbits. *sigh*

We had 2 rabbit nests in years past that we babied then they died of natural causes. We took the dogs out on leashes, the kids loved to check on them, mama was coming to feed them, and it was so sad when they died.

Now, we are kind of over the rabbits. Last year, we had a baby rabbit massacre because the dogs found the nest before we did. Dumb bunny dug it right in the middle of our yard!

This year, she outplayed us. Our garden fence was up from last year and connects to our back garage wall. She buried them next to the wall, in the fenced garden area! UGH. If I plant, it might as well be a baby bunny nursery - protected spot to hop when old enough & plenty of food.

I'd like to learn more and eventually get a compost & rain barrel going. Right now, it's a plant & see what survives kind of operation.
Baby Bunny Nursery We have bunnies and all sorts of critters too. Every year it feels like I'm playing Are you smarter than a critter? I've heard they like clover so you should plant a bunch away from your garden and supposedly they will stay on the clover munching side. I'm afraid it would be the official start to our bunny breeding program though.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlg22 View Post
So far, we've planted:

arugula
baby bok choi
broccoli raab
scotch kale
laciantato kale
collards
cylindra beet
crosby beet
detroit red beet
burpee's golden beet
rainbow chard
spinach
salad mix
redleaf lettuce
arugula
cress
tendersweet carrot
dragon carrot
yellow carrot
leeks
onions (red and yellow)
cilantro
peas
dragon's tongue beans
green bush beans
heirloom and grape tomatoes
Bintje potatoes
purple potatoes
red potatoes
red bell peppers
sweet peppers
some sort of spicy asian pepper that I can't recall
basil (regular, purple & thai)
eggplant
squash (zucchini & yellow)
borage
marigolds
cosmos
calendula
Holy Smokes! That's awesome! Maybe the pepper is a thai pepper? If so be careful, I grew those one year and accidently rubbed my eye after being in the garden. Evidently the oils were still on my hand. Man that hurt!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Our back yard is very shaded and our puppies have free reign back there so I had to get creative. I planted some tomatoes and strawberries in "topsy turvy" planters hanging from the house and shed. I planted those from plants that I bought at the store. And I have cucumbers that I started from seeds indoors that really took off so I planted those in a big plastic storage container that I converted. This is my first year doing it and so far, so good. If it works out I'm going to try to plant more next year.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
hlg22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
Holy Smokes! That's awesome! Maybe the pepper is a thai pepper? If so be careful, I grew those one year and accidently rubbed my eye after being in the garden. Evidently the oils were still on my hand. Man that hurt!
Ooh, good warning - I'll have to look at the garden marker to remember the name, but I do remember that my garden coach said that it was extremely hot, and good for making hot sauce with!
hlg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Sandy61
Mouseketeer

We built our house about 5 years ago and I guess we built it on a path the deer take to get to a creek. Sigh. Lots of deer. They eat everything it seems, especially my tender new trees and bushes. We put metal fencing around most stuff so they couldn't get to it. The burning bushes were being eaten down to stubs every year and they are in cages now. The deer spray works minimally. I heard the best thing is to go to a zoo and get tiger poop. Not gonna do that.

Our small veggie garden has a deer fence and we have had no trouble with that. The only year we had rabbits was the year I was picking strawberries and found a nest of babies right in the middle of the patch. They must have thought it was heaven. They were adorable. We haven't had any since so we must have scared them off.

This year the weather is freaky in Iowa, altho it is always like that. I planted lettuce and spinach right before an all-day downpour. We have onions, tomatoes and green beans. The other day I looked at tomatoes in Walmart and every one was dead. Really dead. We did get a cold snap so I wonder if that killed them. They were also dry. Ooh, I planted asparagus for the first time. Hope it grows.

I am not the greatest gardener but my sister is a master gardener and puts me to shame. She loves to make fun of me but she does give me lots of stuff that she divides.
Sandy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
MarbleBob
Mouseketeer

I'm in the St. Louis area. I tried peanuts last year and they worked out great, so I'm planting a bunch this year! (I'm the most excited about these.)

Additionally, potatoes, three types of onions from dixondale farms, sugar snap peas, bunching onions, danvers carrots, parsienne carrots, baby bell peppers, california wonder peppers, jalepeno peppers, serrano peppers, San Marzano tomatoes, brandywine tomatoes, Arkansas Traveller tomatoes, Reisentraub tomatoes, Tomatillos, basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano, spinach, lettuce (bibb & rocky top), cucumbers, green beans, crimson sweet watermelon, moon & stars watermelon, and zucchini.

All of that goes in 5 8'x4' raised beds. Then I have another 8x4 bed dedicated to strawberries that I got from Stark Bro's last year. They grew like weeds! (Tribute and Allstar). Last year I also planted 5 blueberry bushes. We have two apple trees and two grape vines that are all about 8 years old now produce fruit like crazy.

And finally, we planted a new peach tree and an all-in one Almond tree last night. Bring on the growing season!!!

1981 Off Property, 1988 CBR, 1998 CBR (Honeymoon!!!), 2002 POFQ, 2003 Poly, 2005 WL, 2006 POP, 2007 WL, 2009 ASMo, 2009 POFQ, 2010 WL, 2010 DCL Wonder, 2010 DLR HOJO, 2010 PORS, 2011 off property, 2011 Bonnet Creek (DISApalooza 2011), 2012 DCL Dream, 2013 Disneyland Hotel

MarbleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Oh, I forgot, last summer my kids planted the seeds from a watermelon they were eating and it actually sprouted.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: