Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Dining with Shamu

WE are thinking about doing this on our upcoming trip? Is it worth it? Can you get reservation the day of the trip? would you rather do this or the Shark dining

Last edited by happygirl; 04-29-2013 at 02:21 PM.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,350

You will be able to get reservations on the day of your visit *if* there are still unsold seats still available for the dinner. Its a gamble as to whether that date will still have availability or not.

Do keep in mind, though, that the best seats (ie, located directly along the glass) are assigned on a first-booked basis. So the earlier you book, the better your seats are going to be. There are no "bad" seats, per se, as tables are arranged along the glass and only two tables deep, but you can almost guarantee yourself the second tier seating if you wait until the day of to commit to purchase your tickets to the meal.

We thought was a good value for the money. The food was excellent and the whale presentation was very interesting and informative.

My Christmas trip report (see link in my signature) includes a write up and photos on Dine With Shamu. That portion of the report starts on page 6 at post 82.

I have never dined at Sharks Underwater Grill, so I can't comment on which is better. I have done the all-day dining, and would highly recommend it if you could not get a DWS reservation.
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
You will be able to get reservations on the day of your visit *if* there are still unsold seats still available for the dinner. Its a gamble as to whether that date will still have availability or not.

Do keep in mind, though, that the best seats (ie, located directly along the glass) are assigned on a first-booked basis. So the earlier you book, the better your seats are going to be. There are no "bad" seats, per se, as tables are arranged along the glass and only two tables deep, but you can almost guarantee yourself the second tier seating if you wait until the day of to commit to purchase your tickets to the meal.

We thought was a good value for the money. The food was excellent and the whale presentation was very interesting and informative.

My Christmas trip report (see link in my signature) includes a write up and photos on Dine With Shamu. That portion of the report starts on page 6 at post 82.

I have never dined at Sharks Underwater Grill, so I can't comment on which is better. I have done the all-day dining, and would highly recommend it if you could not get a DWS reservation.
Thank so much
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
Thank so much
I hate to be a downer but i did this 2 years ago and it was awful the food was cold, shamu was not anywhere near us to get good pics and to top it off some poor kid got sick at the buffet line and it took them almost an hour to clean it up.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I hate to be a downer but i did this 2 years ago and it was awful the food was cold, shamu was not anywhere near us to get good pics and to top it off some poor kid got sick at the buffet line and it took them almost an hour to clean it up.
How far back from the glass were you sitting
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
How far back from the glass were you sitting
Front row on the glass..the trainer had him wait out in the middle.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey View Post
I hate to be a downer but i did this 2 years ago and it was awful the food was cold, shamu was not anywhere near us to get good pics and to top it off some poor kid got sick at the buffet line and it took them almost an hour to clean it up.
Definitely not even close to our experience. The buffet items were fresh and well stocked, with the hot items piping hot. Everything was replenished promptly throughout the meal.

When the dolphins were "performing" (and I use the term loosely because its not a show on the same level as One Ocean), the trainers were excellent at giving a heads up as to which dolphin would be doing what skill in whatever part of the pool (as in "Dolphin A will be doing a backflip here in just a few seconds on the far end of the pool"). So we had enough time to get our cameras readied and pointed in the right direction to capture some pretty decent shots of the tricks they were doing. We had more issues with the darkness hindering our ability for great photos (since we visited during Christmas when it got dark very early) than we did we distance.

The buffet area is quite small for the number of people at the meal. It was pretty congested in there in the early stages of the dinner. I can imagine, if someone were to get sick in the buffet area, it could be difficult for staff to get the area cleaned up with all the foot traffic coming in and out (and yes, it would be sensible for people to avoid the area, but we all know that common sense often flies out the window if someone is in hot pursuit of the last piece of carrot cake on the plate).
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
nikkyluvsmickey
DIS Veteran
 
nikkyluvsmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: long island
Posts: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Definitely not even close to our experience. The buffet items were fresh and well stocked, with the hot items piping hot. Everything was replenished promptly throughout the meal.

When the dolphins were "performing" (and I use the term loosely because its not a show on the same level as One Ocean), the trainers were excellent at giving a heads up as to which dolphin would be doing what skill in whatever part of the pool (as in "Dolphin A will be doing a backflip here in just a few seconds on the far end of the pool"). So we had enough time to get our cameras readied and pointed in the right direction to capture some pretty decent shots of the tricks they were doing. We had more issues with the darkness hindering our ability for great photos (since we visited during Christmas when it got dark very early) than we did we distance.

The buffet area is quite small for the number of people at the meal. It was pretty congested in there in the early stages of the dinner. I can imagine, if someone were to get sick in the buffet area, it could be difficult for staff to get the area cleaned up with all the foot traffic coming in and out (and yes, it would be sensible for people to avoid the area, but we all know that common sense often flies out the window if someone is in hot pursuit of the last piece of carrot cake on the plate).
Lol exactly it amazed me how many people were still at the buffet walking around the puddle on the floor i couldn't do it myself though. I am glad you had such a nice experience though maybe mine was just a bad day.
__________________
nikkyluvsmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
jml06fsu
Earning My Ears
 
jml06fsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkyluvsmickey
Lol exactly it amazed me how many people were still at the buffet walking around the puddle on the floor i couldn't do it myself though. I am glad you had such a nice experience though maybe mine was just a bad day.
Your experience was something that happens VERY rarely. The people at dine with shamu are not trained to clean up bodily fluids. They can get terminated for cleaning up vomit. The reason it took so long to clean was probably because they had to call park services to clean it up.
jml06fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.