Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #1471
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Oh my word! I left this thread last night in tears and catching up on the last 5 pages has sent me on an emotional journey! You all had me laughing and then a couple of pages later I was in tears again!. Thank you for sharing the funny thoughts and thank you for sharing personal tribulations. Now, again I say, whose up for a Disney support group thread!!!
You all ROCK!!!!!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #1472
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post
Oh my word! I left this thread last night in tears and catching up on the last 5 pages has sent me on an emotional journey! You all had me laughing and then a couple of pages later I was in tears again!. Thank you for sharing the funny thoughts and thank you for sharing personal tribulations. Now, again I say, whose up for a Disney support group thread!!!
You all ROCK!!!!!
Sign me up!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #1473
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post

That was a great story! Yup, gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. I was close to my dad too, typical daddy's little girl. The memories I have with him are ones I cherish every day. Thank you for sharing that
Ditto on the great story!!! I wish I would have taken the warning. Lol. Sitting in pediatric dentist office.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #1474
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post
You all ROCK!!!!!
Well they certainly cost as much as a support group...I can remember when a four day trip for two was $800 with tickets and dining plan.
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #1475
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGdancermom View Post

Ditto on the great story!!! I wish I would have taken the warning. Lol. Sitting in pediatric dentist office.
Not a good sign to kids seeing an adult crying in a dentist office!! Lol
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #1476
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGdancermom View Post
Oh I can just see you sitting in the office sobbing, and everyone else thinking "what a strange person".

And once again I must ask...what have I started?
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1477
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post

Oh I can just see you sitting in the office sobbing, and everyone else thinking "what a strange person".

And once again I must ask...what have I started?
An emotional roller coaster with A LOT of hills!! Lol
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1478
Lazor460
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxedst21

Just something to keep the kids excited since it's such a long time away
I have a glass vase that I decorated with a sign and Disney stickers; then typed up a bunch of "Disney" things to do and printed them out on Disney paper. Not sure if I'm going to let them pull one a day or every other day yet. It just has simple things like---eat on a Disney plate, eat Mickey pancakes, make Mickey cookies, watch a Disney movie, make a list of rides at each park they want to do..... just anything Disney related to keep the excitement going until we go
Omg soooo cute! what a great idea! my kids would love this! going to try it out!! :-)
2007 Sarasota, FL
2005 Celebrity Century Cruise
Me DH DD 8 DS 5 DD 1,
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #1479
Marie17
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
You would simply call Disney and have the child taken off of the reservation and they would credit you the difference.
That is one way for sure - but don't you get penalized (as in a change fee) if your package amount is less than what was originally booked if less than 45 days out? I was thinking we could just keep his ticket since he will still be a disney adult when we go back for Spring Break in 2014. It would be nice to have one ticket already paid for on our return. Would his ticket still have his child (disney adult) dining credits that could be used in April if the original reservation was for September?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #1480
kfelaco
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Ok, but don't say I didn't warn ya...

Dad and I used to go to WDW together every year. During those trips, we had many once in a lifetime experiences. One year we got to meet a Disney animator that worked directly with Walt on alot of classic films. He even drew me a sketch and signed it, which I still have framed to this day. Another trip, we found ourselves on the first bus into Animal Kingdom on the first soft opening day. We were literally the first public group into the park and it was facinating to see how things progressed from that day. We celebrated birthdays, and many other things, but mostly just enjoying the Disney magic. I truely believe, he had a large part in my blooming love for Disney.

In 1999, three months (to the day) after our Disney vacation, he was tragically killed in a helicopter crash. I then realized that, at that point, Disney was much more than a vacation...it was memories, fun times, once in a lifetime encounters, and so much more. The next few trips to Disney were bittersweet. I would find myself watching the parade on Main Street, smelling the scents from the Confectionary, hearing the music...and for a moment, could see him standing next to me. At times, I became emotional for no reason, just something flashed me back to a memory. Now I know, that whenever I'm at Disney, I feel like I'm closest to my Dad...I feel like he's there with me (he is), and I make new memories doing new things or new attractions and thinking to myself "Dad would've loved this".

So there you have it...a Father...a Son....many years of good times....and many more years cut short. But lots of memories all the same...and lots more being made each and every year. It's more than a vacation, it's a pilgrimage. It's that reason that every time I go, there are certain things I must do out of tradition...and other things I do to make new memories. And sometimes, at just the right moment, I feel him walking by my side, smiling and just saying "I'm glad we're here".

Disney World was our world and we shared many special memories there. I remember him the best way I know how...by continuing the fun that we always enjoyed together. He always taught me to enjoy life, have fun and not worry about the little things.

Here's to you Dad...I shall ALWAYS remember!!!

As I said earlier...you asked for it.

And now you know.....the rest of the story.

Thank you Black562 for sharing your story, and yes, you've got me bawling too! At the risk of starting more waterworks on this thread, I'll share my dad story:

My family came from meager means, but my father was determined that he was going to bring his family at least ONCE to WDW before we all grew up, despite the cost. He felt the Disney magic and pixie dust was something we must experience before we all went our separate ways into adulthood. So in 1989, he took out a loan from the bank (borrowed against the house! ), and we all went on our one and only family trip to Disney World. I was 17, my brother was 14. It truly was a special, once-in-a-lifetime trip for us. We had lots of laughs and made lots of memories. Then my dad, like yours, also tragically died in a (car) accident in 1999. Fast forward to 2007, when my DH and I brought our 3 little ones to WDW. It was awesome, yet bittersweet, being my 1st time back since '89. Now I'm happy to say we're going again in December with the kiddos, and we're bringing my mom along! She's 68 and it's been almost 25 years since that family trip. It's going to be very special to relive some of those memories with her at WDW again! I know we'll both be laughing and crying on "It's A Small World"; my DH will think we're crazy, but we know better-all those inside jokes from 23 years ago! Like another poster said earlier, no one take away those Disney memories and magic!!!

1980 WDW off-site (DH) 4/1989 WDW off-site (Krista) 5/2007 Poly 12/2013 POFQ

Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #1481
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:

Dad and I used to go to WDW together every year. During those trips, we had many once in a lifetime experiences. One year we got to meet a Disney animator that worked directly with Walt on alot of classic films. He even drew me a sketch and signed it, which I still have framed to this day. Another trip, we found ourselves on the first bus into Animal Kingdom on the first soft opening day. We were literally the first public group into the park and it was facinating to see how things progressed from that day. We celebrated birthdays, and many other things, but mostly just enjoying the Disney magic. I truely believe, he had a large part in my blooming love for Disney.

In 1999, three months (to the day) after our Disney vacation, he was tragically killed in a helicopter crash. I then realized that, at that point, Disney was much more than a vacation...it was memories, fun times, once in a lifetime encounters, and so much more. The next few trips to Disney were bittersweet. I would find myself watching the parade on Main Street, smelling the scents from the Confectionary, hearing the music...and for a moment, could see him standing next to me. At times, I became emotional for no reason, just something flashed me back to a memory. Now I know, that whenever I'm at Disney, I feel like I'm closest to my Dad...I feel like he's there with me (he is), and I make new memories doing new things or new attractions and thinking to myself "Dad would've loved this".

So there you have it...a Father...a Son....many years of good times....and many more years cut short. But lots of memories all the same...and lots more being made each and every year. It's more than a vacation, it's a pilgrimage. It's that reason that every time I go, there are certain things I must do out of tradition...and other things I do to make new memories. And sometimes, at just the right moment, I feel him walking by my side, smiling and just saying "I'm glad we're here".

Disney World was our world and we shared many special memories there. I remember him the best way I know how...by continuing the fun that we always enjoyed together. He always taught me to enjoy life, have fun and not worry about the little things.

It's amazing to read this today, of all days. It's the 18th anniversary of my Mom's passing. I, too, associate a lot of family memories with Disney memories. I was already somewhat emotional due to the date on the calendar, but this has led to me being even more so today.

This post really hit home for me, so thank you.

I'm sorry to read of your loss, but happy that you have a way to keep a connection alive. I feel the same way.

I don't know, this is a lot cheaper than a support group for me, and does just as much good for my purposes.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #1482
acwaters
Earning My Ears

Oh boy between your story and Joe's story i am not sure i can read anymore because of all the tears. I am however glad that both of you have those wonderful Disney memories to keep you going during hard times. I hope that one day my disney trips with my boys will be that special to them. Now i need to go get some tissues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
Wow, Black, what a sad, bittersweet, beautiful story... I am sorry for your loss.. I think I told you but mom died 3.5 weeks ago and I miss her so much.. We took her with us on our last Disney vacation and I know this next one will be emotional for me.. I love looking at our pictures and remembering how much fun we had and I still can't believe it has been almost a month since she has been gone or since I have talked with her.
That trip is something cancer can never take away from me and my boys.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #1483
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxedst21 View Post
Just something to keep the kids excited since it's such a long time away
I have a glass vase that I decorated with a sign and Disney stickers; then typed up a bunch of "Disney" things to do and printed them out on Disney paper. Not sure if I'm going to let them pull one a day or every other day yet. It just has simple things like---eat on a Disney plate, eat Mickey pancakes, make Mickey cookies, watch a Disney movie, make a list of rides at each park they want to do..... just anything Disney related to keep the excitement going until we go
Love it! Gonna try it!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #1484
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
Mine completely froze up and then went black today. I deleted the app off my iPhone and then reloaded it and its been fine since.
Thanks! That worked!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #1485
Lazor460
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Wow what an amazing story!! So sorry about your loss I know it never really stops hurting. But what wonderful and very special memories you will always have! And yes he is there enjoying the new ones with you! Thanks for sharing your story!
2007 Sarasota, FL
2005 Celebrity Century Cruise
Me DH DD 8 DS 5 DD 1,
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: