Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #466
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post
Okay, there's gotta be a downside. I know some of you out there know what they are. I'll be waiting.
Some love doing it, but again, you have to understand how it works and what you're getting into.

For starters, you aren't renting from Disney, you're renting from the owner. Add to it that once you book, it's pretty much non refundable, and you don't get mouse keeping each day like some are used to.

Again, it's good for some, but not for everyone.
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #467
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Stop waiting for free dining. You can get a better deal and never have to wait for Disney to offer FD. Read this...

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3105456
We have a large family and normally get 2 connecting rooms at a value resort and travel during free dining weeks. We have priced out renting DVC points twice and we would need at least 2 bedroom villa and it does come close to our FD price. It's over $2000 more on an 8 day trip for us to rent points at DVC instead of applying a FD discount on 2 connecting value rooms.

If you are planning on staying at a deluxe resort and have a family of 4, you can get a cheaper deal renting points over a FD offer, but not by much and you still have to buy food.

Renting points is usually only a better option during higher crowd season when the discounts are few and far between, not during free dining weeks.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #468
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post
Okay, there's gotta be a downside. I know some of you out there know what they are. I'll be waiting.
nonrefundable as stated and no mousekeeping
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #469
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post

Some love doing it, but again, you have to understand how it works and what you're getting into.

For starters, you aren't renting from Disney, you're renting from the owner. Add to it that once you book, it's pretty much non refundable, and you don't get mouse keeping each day like some are used to.

Again, it's good for some, but not for everyone.
And you can not take advantage of free dining or even room only discounts when renting DVC points.

Again, renting points is usually only a better option if you are staying deluxe anyway and/or during time frames when there most likely wont be deep discounts like free dining.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #470
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibustyle23 View Post

And depending on your family make up and where you normally stay or plan to stay, it can actually cost you much more money to rent points.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #471
theguda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411

And you can not take advantage of free dining or even room only discounts when renting DVC points.

Again, renting points is usually only a better option if you are staying deluxe anyway and/or during time frames when there most likely wont be deep discounts like free dining.
This isn't accurate. If you read my original post you'll see my cost to rent points for a deluxe and pay OPP for passes and dining comes out cheaper than a free dining promo at a moderate. If you need 1 room...renting is a cheaper option even if FD is being offered.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #472
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This isn't accurate. If you read my original post you'll see my cost to rent points for a deluxe and pay OPP for passes and dining comes out cheaper than a free dining promo at a moderate. If you need 1 room...renting is a cheaper option even if FD is being offered.
Again, that is not accurate, it totally depends on the make up of your family, where you would otherwise stay and where your ADRs are at.

If a family of 5, who's kids are all 10 and over we're going to stay at POR, it is highly unlikely they could ever rent points, pay for tickets, and purchase all of their meals for less than the FD package discount at POR. They would save almost $2000 off rack rates with a FD discount at POR on a 7 night stay.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #473
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Quote:

There's more involved than just price. You deal with different owners instead of Disney, they have to take care of everything. Plus no mousekeeping. Some people enjoy it but its certainly not for everyone or else everyone would do it.

No offense, but you've posted your same message on many threads. Is there a reason you're so eager for everyone to rent points?
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #474
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
We have a large family and normally get 2 connecting rooms at a value resort and travel during free dining weeks. We have priced out renting DVC points twice and we would need at least 2 bedroom villa and it does come close to our FD price. It's over $2000 more on an 8 day trip for us to rent points at DVC instead of applying a FD discount on 2 connecting value rooms.

If you are planning on staying at a deluxe resort and have a family of 4, you can get a cheaper deal renting points over a FD offer, but not by much and you still have to buy food.

Renting points is usually only a better option during higher crowd season when the discounts are few and far between, not during free dining weeks.
OK, I was not calculating wrong then. I had heard this before and went to a point rental website and #'s did NOT show savings and the occupancy rate for rooms were much lower than Disney resorts. I think you could only fit 4 people in a 1 bedroom.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #475
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibustyle23 View Post
WHAT!!!! NO Mousekeeping!!! Oh, now way!! I am on vacationl

Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #476
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps, but I just can't bring myself to trust a complete stranger enough to fork over thousands of dollars and a week or two of my life and guarantee that they won't rip me off. Heck most days I don't trust my loved ones that much.
Nor can I trust that nothing would go wrong in my normal life making it so my days couldn't be cancelled or changed without being penalized.

The peace of mind is worth more to me.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #477
theguda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562

There's more involved than just price. You deal with different owners instead of Disney, they have to take care of everything. Plus no mousekeeping. Some people enjoy it but its certainly not for everyone or else everyone would do it.

No offense, but you've posted your same message on many threads. Is there a reason you're so eager for everyone to rent points?
Is there a reason you're so eager to dissuade people from renting points. I've told you...I don't have points to rent.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #478
theguda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibustyle23

Perhaps, but I just can't bring myself to trust a complete stranger enough to fork over thousands of dollars and a week or two of my life and guarantee that they won't rip me off. Heck most days I don't trust my loved ones that much.
Nor can I trust that nothing would go wrong in my normal life making it so my days couldn't be cancelled or changed without being penalized.

The peace of mind is worth more to me.
You can rent points through many reputable companies... you don't have to rent from individuals.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #479
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

I am learning. This is getting good!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #480
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post

He just bought into one and is looking to rent it out during F&W this year.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: