Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #346
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept
 
black562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,196

Disney411 is pretty spot on. I'll add a couple more.

1. Don't over-plan. While dining reservations are a must, don't get bogged down in the little things. Plan your meals, and even the days in the parks, but don't get carried away. I've seen many first timers try to plan every minute of their trip and it ends up becoming work more than leisure.

2. Leave plenty of time for transportation. Nothing is more painful than taking to a family at the Magic Kingdom and finding out they have a dining reservation at Epcot in fifteen minutes and thinking they have plenty of time. Give yourself a solid hour to move from park to park, and while it may not take that much time, you have to factor in your walk to and from the bus/monorail/boat stop...then waiting for one to arrive.

3. Plans can literally change with the weather. Crowd predictions are usually fairly accurate, but they're still predictions. A change in weather can totally change the dynamic and send people to other parks than they would normally go.

4. Don't miss the dole whip. Yes I know this is something small, but once you try it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

5. I'm not a huge parade fan, and for one good reason. Parades draw big crowds, and while those crowds are all busy watching the parade, this is the perfect time to enjoy some rides. Use this time to seek out some good attractions while they're less crowded.

6. Take in the streetmosphere. When we think of this term we normally think of the studios, but that's not the case. Don't miss folks like the Dapper Dans and Jim the piano man at Casey's corner at the magic kingdom. At Epcot there's the candy lady in Japan who makes incredible creations right before your eyes. Animal kingdom is ripe with street performers who appear throughout the park. Take time to stop and take in this atmosphere, it's what sets Disney apart.

7. Being comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk...a lot. Remember, nothing is close to anything, this place is big. The walks to and from bus stops aren't short, the walk from the park gate to the back of the park isn't short, the walk around your resort isn't short, the wall around world showcase is definitely not short. The beauty of wdw is that it has plenty of space to spread out. But that also means lots of walking to and from everything. So please wear very comfortable shoes. I can't state that one enough.

I'll pop more off later, but those are a few things to think about.
__________________
Joe
1973-1994 - Off Site | 1995 - Carribbean Beach, All Star Music, Beach Club | 1996 - Dixie Landings
1997 - Off Site
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs




Last edited by black562; 05-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.
black562 is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #347
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWife05 View Post
Wow TheDisney411, you are awesome!! Thanks so much for all that info about parks, fast passes, ect! This September will be our family's 2nd trip to Disney ever. With a 3 and 7 year old, we need a plan! We are going for 8 days to give us enough time to do all we wanted and still allow the little one to nap.
Sounds awesome :-)
TheDisney411 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #348
kcwiak
Mouseketeer
 
kcwiak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
Do any of the value resorts have queen size beds? We are doing a moderate resort because they do. I know this is the wrong location but I figured if ask sorry lol
I do not believe so. That was one of my other issues. 10 days in double beds....yuck.
__________________

Sept 2013 - 10 day Family Trip
Jan 2011 - 7 day Family Trip
1990-1998 - 50+ day and/or multi day trips
kcwiak is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #349
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer
 
Tarheel Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
Magic kingdom has a max occupancy rate of around 100,000. When the hard ticket parties first started, the rumored ticket sales were around 25,000, but over the years as the popularity of the parties grew, those numbers got bumped significantly. The rumored max ticket sales for the hard ticket parties is now closer to 40,000.
Holy cow, 40,000? Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Anyway, thanks again for the "411", lol!
__________________
Me DH DS20 DS17 DD6 (our 2007 Disney souvenir)
12/27/02 - 1/1/03 Off Site - Davenport, FL
1/12/07 - 1/19/07 Off Site - Kissimmee, FL
11/18/11 - 11/26/11 Off Site - Kissimmee, FL
11/20/13 - 11/30/13 - POR/Royal Guest Room
9/25/14 - 10/4/14 - Coronado Springs
9/25/15 - 10/3/15 - Coronado Springs


Tarheel Mom is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #350
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
Do any of the value resorts have queen size beds? We are doing a moderate resort because they do. I know this is the wrong location but I figured if ask sorry lol
The bedroom in the AOA suites have one queen size bed. That is the only value resort room category that has a queen size bed, all other value resort rooms have full size beds.
TheDisney411 is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #351
mom18
Mouseketeer
 
mom18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post

I never recommend the hopper ticket option to people who are new to touring Disney, you don't need it. I would recommend 5 to 6 park days for a first visit - 2 days MK, 2 days Epcot, 1 day Ak and 1 day DHS. If you are staying on-site, you don't really need your car, the Disney transporation is good, especially with it being your first time and not being familiar with Disney property.

Pick up a copy of The Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World and check out their companion website, www.touringplans.com. I use their crowd/best days calendar to plan all our park days and then once I know which park we will be in on which days I can make my Advance Dining Reservations around those parks or in resorts close to those parks. I highly recommend the Basic Disney Dining Plan if your party is going to eat at least one sit down/table service/character meal per day. You can make Advance Dining Reservations 180 before your check-in date.

These are tips I give to anyone new to touring WDW:

1. Make sure you have Advance Dining Reservations as a lot of table service restaurants and character meals do not take walk-ups and book up quickly.

2. Get to the parks at opening. You really can get a lot done in the morning because so many other people sleep in.

3. Eat lunch around 11:00 or 11:30 a.m. before the fast food places get busy. Then when while everyone else is eating lunch, you will have lower crowds.

4. I buy a ton of the two for a dollar ponchos at the dollar store and keep them in the backpack. That way you can throw them a way after use and not worry about keeping up with a wet bulky poncho the rest of the day. Bring throw away ponchos to wear on Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, if not you WILL get soaked.

5. Other things I put in the backpack each morning are Tylenol/Motrin, small first aid kit, camera with extra batteries, small hand towel, hand sanitizer, wipes and a bottle of water.

6. Most single service items under $4.00 are considered a snack credit on the dining plan. A Turkey Leg is NOT a snack credit :-)

7. At Magic Kingdom always head to Fantasyland first, if you are not doing Fantasyland on a particular day then head to Splash Mountain first, then Big Thunder Mountain; at Epcot always ride Soarin' first and get a Fastpass for later after you get off of the ride; at Disney Hollywood Studios always ride Toy Story Mania first, then head over to Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror; and at Animal Kingdom ride Expedition Everest First then head to the Safari.

8. Favorite fast food restaurants at MK are Pecos Bills and Cosmic Rays; favorite fast food at Animal Kingdom is Flame Tree Grill and Pizzafari. If you are there while it very hot, go to Pizzafari.

9. If there are two lines going into an attraction, always take the line that goes to the left.

10. My best tip would have to be USE THE FASTPASS SYSTEM. Our rule of thumb is if the wait is 25 minutes or less, we wait in line. If the wait is 30 minutes or more, use a Fastpass.

Click on this link and it will give you an excellent overview of Fastpass. It is from Doconeil here on the Disboards and super helpful:

http://www.oinc.net/disney/fastpass.php

11. I like the Photopass. When you enter the parks you will see the staff photographers, they will take your pictures and give you a Photopass and you can use that for the rest of your trip. Each time you see a photographer have them take your picture and they will scan your picture. Then when you get home you can pull up the pictures, with the code they email you after purchase, and pick the photos you want on a CD. They will then mail you the CD and the copyrights to the CD and you can take them to Walmart or Walgreens or wherever and get them developed. They also have a lot of cool software that you can use to edit your photos before you have them put on the CD.
I am definitely familiar with the property, as this will actually by my 15th trip!! But I am new to the booking process in general. I love the tips you have! I will definitely put these to good use!! We actually have already booked too, staying sept. 25-oct 6 at LM room. Hoping on the dining for that room,but do have back ups if necessary!! Thank you for all these tips! I can't wait to use them!
__________________
1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995,1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2004
Next Trip: Sept 2013!
mom18 is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #352
mom18
Mouseketeer
 
mom18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post
Disney411 is pretty spot on. I'll add a couple more.

1. Don't over-plan. While dining reservations are a must, don't get bogged down in the little things. Plan your meals, and even the days in the parks, but don't get carried away. I've seen many first timers try to plan every minute of their trip and it ends up becoming work more than leisure.

2. Leave plenty of time for transportation. Nothing is more painful than taking to a family at the Magic Kingdom and finding out they have a dining reservation at Epcot in fifteen minutes and thinking they have plenty of time. Give yourself a solid hour to move from park to park, and while it may not take that much time, you have to factor in your walk to and from the bus/monorail/boat stop...then waiting for one to arrive.

3. Plans can literally change with the weather. Crowd predictions are usually fairly accurate, but they're still predictions. A change in weather can totally change the dynamic and send people to other parks than they would normally go.

4. Don't miss the dole whip. Yes I know this is something small, but once you try it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

5. I'm not a huge parade fan, and for one good reason. Parades draw big crowds, and while those crowds are all busy watching the parade, this is the perfect time to enjoy some rides. Use this time to seek out some good attractions while they're less crowded.

6. Take in the streetmosphere. When we think of this term we normally think of the studios, but that's not the case. Don't miss folks like the Dapper Dans and Jim the piano man at Casey's corner at the magic kingdom. At Epcot there's the candy lady in Japan who makes incredible creations right before your eyes. Animal kingdom is ripe with street performers who appear throughout the park. Take time to stop and take in this atmosphere, it's what sets Disney apart.

7. Being comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk...a lot. Remember, nothing is close to anything, this place is big. The walks to and from bus stops aren't short, the walk from the park gate to the back of the park isn't short, the walk around your resort isn't short, the wall around world showcase is definitely not short. The beauty of wdw is that it has plenty of space to spread out. But that also means lots of walking to and from everything. So please wear very comfortable shoes. I can't state that one enough.

I'll pop more off later, but those are a few things to think about.
Thank you too!! I knew I could get some good info here!! And I have heard things about this "dole whip". I guess that's a must! Thank you both!
__________________
1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995,1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2004
Next Trip: Sept 2013!
mom18 is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #353
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept
 
black562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom18 View Post

Thank you too!! I knew I could get some good info here!! And I have heard things about this "dole whip". I guess that's a must! Thank you both!
Yes it's a must. And it's a snack credit. Try the pineapple vanilla swirl. Very good and refreshing.
__________________
Joe
1973-1994 - Off Site | 1995 - Carribbean Beach, All Star Music, Beach Club | 1996 - Dixie Landings
1997 - Off Site
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs



black562 is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #354
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfantotheend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,755

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
It's just hard to predict anymore. The week night hard ticket parties almost never used to sell out, except for opening and closing nights, many of the parties, even on week nights sold out last year. I'm sure I have a list of sell out nights from last year somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and maybe have some more specific insight for certain dates.
Thank you so much! I would appreciate any insite you could give.
disneyfantotheend is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #355
BattyKoda
Mouseketeer
 
BattyKoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Maine
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post
Disney411 is pretty spot on. I'll add a couple more.

4. Don't miss the dole whip. Yes I know this is something small, but once you try it, you'll know what I'm talking about.
This, obviously, should be number one, best treat ever Do they still color it for MNSSHP?

Good shoes is a close second.
__________________


BattyKoda is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #356
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf
 
plutospalforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Country
Posts: 1,718

SOS. Was in middle of purchasing tix for Mick's Halloween party (thank you 411 for heads up) and Internet , wifi, phone are all out. I may be out for awhile.
__________________
Me DH DS(13) DD(10) DD(5) DS(2) DPuppy

plutospalforever is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #357
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfantotheend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,755

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post
Yes it's a must. And it's a snack credit. Try the pineapple vanilla swirl. Very good and refreshing.
We are taking my aunt for her second trip ever, and her one must do is to have a dole whip.
disneyfantotheend is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #358
GastonTheGreat
Earning My Ears
 
GastonTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 31

Where does one get these Dole Whips?
GastonTheGreat is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #359
Kat016
DIS Veteran
 
Kat016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwiak View Post

I do not believe so. That was one of my other issues. 10 days in double beds....yuck.
Yeah we can't do that. We sleep in a king at home and a queen in our trailer...a double wouldn't work. Lol oh well...sticking with POFQ. I'm good with that though. I'm just waiting "patiently" for FD while we're there. My DH got all excited when I told him the DIS was blowing up because FD got confirmed and it's going to be available next week...he thought I meant for October....I crushed that excitement real quick lol
Kat016 is offline  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #360
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept
 
black562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonTheGreat View Post
Where does one get these Dole Whips?
At the Magic Kingdom it's at Aloha Isle, which is across from the Swiss Family Treehouse. You can also find it at Captain Cooks at the Polynesian resort.
__________________
Joe
1973-1994 - Off Site | 1995 - Carribbean Beach, All Star Music, Beach Club | 1996 - Dixie Landings
1997 - Off Site
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs



black562 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: