DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #61
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

I had the same problem with VWL. We purchased groceries and dropped them off up front. Valet took them and placed them into storage and THEN we had to get bell services to bring them up.

The ice cream was totally melted so I gave the bellman the box as a tip. He got pissed and I explain what a pain the whole Valet/Bellman thing was to guest. I think he understood then.

I tip $2 per bag to get up to my room. I split it 25/75 for the valet/bellman.

I love it when the valet says that I will not see him again. I then give him a hug and no tip.
OhioDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #62
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDVC View Post
I had the same problem with VWL. We purchased groceries and dropped them off up front. Valet took them and placed them into storage and THEN we had to get bell services to bring them up.

The ice cream was totally melted so I gave the bellman the box as a tip. He got pissed and I explain what a pain the whole Valet/Bellman thing was to guest. I think he understood then.

I love it when the valet says that I will not see him again. I then give him a hug and no tip.
ouch
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #63
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Actually we've never returned to VWL because they put us in a room with no closet or safe. People have assured me that not all WL villas are like this so we might try again, just not sure when.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #64
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDVC View Post

Wow.

If you need the groceries to be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, i think you should have mentioned that.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #65
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Wow.

If you need the groceries to be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, i think you should have mentioned that.
Agree. Further, going so far as to give a "tip" to the bellman consisting of a melted box of ice cream lacks grace both in terms of maturity and in regards to the fact that he wasn't the person responsible in the first place. Further, if a valet or bellman ever tells me "you won't see me again," I take it as face value that he/she is merely trying to make a living. I feel no need to relish in flippant behavior; if I feel put upon to tip, then I won't. Otherwise, I give them one knowing that a few dollars to that person means more to him/her than it does to me spread out over the course of a vacation.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #66
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Wow.

Agreed.

It's funny. I've had a few moments like this myself. Once I calm down, I realize that it's usually my behavior or expectations that just needed a slight adjusting.

But something simple like this. Tell them it needs to be put in a freezer. Or better yet... take the ice cream out and take it to the room yourself.

I mean it's almost like you were setting yourself up for a problem so you could then take out all your frustrations onto the poor guy that brought the stuff up to you.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #67
River Country
DIS Jedi

Let me clarify....

I wasnt miffed about the policy...i can understand policy but this was just a complete dis regard for Customer Service IMHO

To have 3 Bell Service men stand there and watch me with my bags is just absurd to me forget about being in WDW I get better bell Service anywhere else i travel. Remember Travel is a customer service industry. If you have a bad customer service experience are you likely to go back.

The reason we all are DVC members is because we feel that Disney is the best at Customer Service

It wasnt busy there was actually no one else unloading at that time.

Yes the resort was nice and seemed relaxing and was actually my second stay there. I may have just been miffed at the time but for the cost per night i feel there are better places to stay i.e. OKW i was driven to my room on a golf cart my bags were brought into my room with me there, i was given a tour of the property and he brought my bags in the room and then asked if there was anything else i needed. That was customer service and deserving of a nice tip

Again this is just my opinion and for the person that stated not everywhere is like home, you are right i dont expect NJ in WDW but thats what i got
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #68
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
Let me clarify....

I wasnt miffed about the policy...i can understand policy but this was just a complete dis regard for Customer Service IMHO

To have 3 Bell Service men stand there and watch me with my bags is just absurd to me forget about being in WDW I get better bell Service anywhere else i travel. Remember Travel is a customer service industry. If you have a bad customer service experience are you likely to go back.

The reason we all are DVC members is because we feel that Disney is the best at Customer Service

Yes the resort was nice and seemed relaxing and was actually my second stay there. I may have just been miffed at the time but for the cost per night i feel there are better places to stay i.e. OKW i was driven to my room on a golf cart my bags were brought into my room with me there, i was given a tour of the property and he brought my bags in the room and then asked if there was anything else i needed. That was customer service and deserving of a nice tip

Again this is just my opinion and for the person that stated not everywhere is like home, you are right i dont expect NJ in WDW but thats what i got
I do understand your frustrations, and your other reasons for preferring another if you feel the costs are better, though that wasn't stated in your original reasoning for never staying at VWL again. I would point out that also in your original post, you said you told the valet manager that the policy was "stupid." That qualifies as miffed. Further, not to beat a dead horse, but after saying the policy was stupid, according to your own words, you then said, "we'll do it ourselves." I'm guessing you didn't say it pleasantly.

I would like to think that were I the valet manager, I would have swallowed my pride at being told a policy was stupid (over which I had no control) then being brusquely treated with "I'll do it myself" comment, and proceeded to actually help you with your bags. However, I'm not sure I could. It helps to keep in mind that everyone has bad days, including valets and luggage handlers. We all have bad days, but we're most dismayed when someone has one the day we interact with them. It does sound as though you had wonderful service at OKW--I hope they continue to meet your standards.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #69
Splashboat
Always looking for cheap airfare

Quote:

Not true for us. We spend a lot of time at the resorts and we really like to stay in a 1 bedroom - that is why we joined. As far as customer service, Disney is probably better then most given the large number of employees but I bet everyone who has been going for years can write about bad experiences with different CMs/staff we have encountered. It all works out as long as the good outweighs the bad.
Splashboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #70
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Let me clarify....

Quote:
Valet Mgr: Only a bellman can use the luggage cart
Me: OK do you have one available?
Valet Mgr: Yes but you have to store your bags
Me: But my room is ready now and i am going directly to my room. Why would i store and check my bags when i am going directly to my room?
Valet Mgr: unfortunately that is the only way we do it here
Me: Well in NJ where i am from that is stupid, i will just do it myself
You told him the policy was stupid and that you would do it yourself. Clearly you were probably displaying some frustration and anger. I probably wouldn't have attempted to "bother" you again either.

The fact they watched you make these 3 trips doesn't phase me either. Some people would rather carry their own bags, than pay someone to bring them to the room.

You had a bad experience and for that I'm sorry. But it sounds like the process just wasn't communicated clearly.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #71
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Quote:
you are right i dont expect NJ in WDW but thats what i got
Could it be, that's what "they" got?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #72
permavac
Have you seen this chicken?

Quote:
...The reason we all are DVC members is because we feel that Disney is the best at Customer Service...
I have to disagree with this one. I have experienced the worst customer service of my life at Disney World and usually encounter one or two surly CMs per visit, who treat me poorly regardless of any provocation from me. I go back for the atmosphere, the walking, the food and the attractions. Let's face it, there are plenty of jerks in the world and it stands to reason that, as large as Disney is, they will end up employing some of them. Unfortunately, I have had to learn how to handle these unpleasant situations when they come up and even though I am somewhat prepared, it can still come as a shock. Sorry you have been introduced to the world of the surly CM and I hate to say it but it will probably happen again. That said, I wouldn't be indignant about the valet manager not helping me after I told him I would do it myself.

Terri
permavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #73
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
Tell them it needs to be put in a freezer. Or better yet... take the ice cream out and take it to the room yourself.
That's what we do. We grab the frozen food and dairy items and take them up to the room ourselves so that they go right into the refrigerator. We let Bell Services bring up everything else.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #74
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Do you know he sat there with 3 bellman and watch me and my father make 3 trips with bags.
I'm not sure what you expected them to do after you said "I will just do it myself". Perhaps they were concerned that if they approached you and asked if they could help you, you might blow a fuse. There have been many reports here about guests having a meltdown for one reason or another. It is usually at the front desk when they don't get the exact room they requested, but I'm sure valet and bell services get their share too. Perhaps they are trained to back off in these situations to avoid a possible escalation.

If you changed your mind and really wanted help after all, all you had to do was tell them "Hey, I guess I could use some help." and I'm sure they would have provided it.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #75
River Country
DIS Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashboat View Post
Not true for us. We spend a lot of time at the resorts and we really like to stay in a 1 bedroom - that is why we joined. As far as customer service, Disney is probably better then most given the large number of employees but I bet everyone who has been going for years can write about bad experiences with different CMs/staff we have encountered. It all works out as long as the good outweighs the bad.
True

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: