DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

At BLT, they helped us load everything onto a cart and the bellboy went with us directly to our room. That's not how it's normally done???? There is no way I would leave all my random stuff from our road trip with them when our room was ready( Like plastic bags of stuff).

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

We use ME and they just put them in the room while we are at the parks.

If we drove I would bring them ourselves-but our kids are older etc. Not interested in games being played.
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We have never had any problem at BLT. In fact last time we stayed there we actually asked about getting a hand with our stuff and were told they would have to call someone over from the Contemporary. We just did it ourselves.

Never a problem at Kidani because of the under the building parking.

We handle our own bags at BCV. SSR and OKW, no problem at all since you can park right at your door.

BWV, Jambo House and VWL you almost NEED assistance and it does irk me to have to tip twice to be able to stay there. For the record, I don't mind tipping but the unloading/storage/calling for your bags is slightly ridiculous.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
lucyem
DIS Veteran

In general they take your bags, you park car, you check in, you go to room, they bring bags.
On rare occasions i have checked in first and then dh shows up in the car. Then they have brought bags directly to the room. This has happened at a couple of different resorts. Bcv, akl & pofq come to mind. On the other hand i remember once at bc where they said the bags were coming right up, we gave them the room number, but when i called when they never showed up, they said they were unable to deliver unless i was in the room and called.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
benji2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
This incident is related to the separate status of Valet (employees of BAGS, INC) and Bell Services (employees of Disney). Apparently use of luggage carts at arrival at the front door is restricted to Valet. You can carry them yourself inside and get a bell person or you can pay (tip) valet to unload onto a cart and then pay (tip) Bell Services to deliver to the room. On departure Bell Services can bring your stuff from your room all the way to your car, if it is waiting in the arrival/departure area. This setup is a pet peeve of mine. I am a good tipper and prefer to tip only once. Petty of me, I know.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
This makes the most sense to me, though I initially thought it had to do with the fact that bell services might be busy and therefore, people just arriving didn't get to skip ahead of others who were waiting for their bags for other reasons such as magical express. Another reason not to give guests carts...they keep them too long...making other guests have to wait.

While it may be frustrating, the first experience (getting the text) is not that unusual or surprising and would not impact my feeling on a resort. Front desk and housekeeping communicate but it's not constant and so the front desk gives the latest time so as to manage expectations of the guest. They probably thought they were doing a good thing for the OP.
benji2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

The policy at all Deluxe/DVC resorts is the same property wide.

Valet and the car unloaders are an outside vendor, (Bags Inc). They are allowed to load a cart and park your car. They hand off the cart to Bell Services inside the luggage room. The Valet guys are suppose to let the Bell Services people know that you are ready to go to your room, often they don't pass the word.

Bell Services brings the luggage up to your room. An adult has to be in the room due to and agreement between Disney and Bell Services, (they want to be tipped).

Not letting guests use the carts is also a tip issue. At Vero you can use the carts and we never saw a Bell Person.

For DME the tip is paid internally so you don't have to be in your room.

Owners Lockers should be treated (tipped) just like any luggage.

For the most part, it's all about money.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer

"VWL never again"? The OP made the decision without commenting on the resort itself... it is literally judging a book by its cover. To the OP, have you seen and commented on the beach, walkways, wilderness atmosphere, camp fire with marshmallow, romantic boat ride, etc? Nope... you never want to do it again because the check in process did not go very smoothly.

VWL is one of the most relaxing resorts in my opinion, great for vacations.

Last edited by MoreTravels; 04-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
Again this is just my experience and it does not necessarily reflect the true spirit of the resort but i am going back to BWV
BWV does not allow it either.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

OP I understand your frustration but I can tell you we had the same thing happen to us at both VWL and AKL. It was actually comical at AKL because they rolled the cart into the bell services room on the road side and literally pulled it through into the lobby from the other door! lol That was "putting it in storage". They just wanted us to make sure we were all set, had our room assignment, had our keys, literally were ready to go into our room.

When we moved over to VWL they put our stuff in storage for the day after AKL brought our things over and we had them bring it down when we were handed our keys in the lobby. They wouldn't let us just take them and bring them down ourselves.

It is a hassle but I'm glad there aren't luggage carts sitting in the halls or people hiding them in their rooms overnight to use first thing in the morning or whenever.

Much as it is easy to be annoyed at the bellman for the policies we all have to remember that they have all these "stupid" rules to follow because of former guests who have ruined it for everyone. Please don't let this small thing ruin a future stay at what is one of the most lovely resorts at WDW.

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
cvjw
DIS Veteran

There is a reason they don't let guests use the luggage carts as they wish. We stayed at a condo in Destin, FL last summer that supplied about 4 luggage carts for the whole condo to use - no bellmen. It was a disaster. There was never one in the parking lot when you needed one. If a guest managed to get one, they would take them into their condo to use later, or leave them right outside of their condo - they couldn't be bothered to actually return them to the parking lot for the next guests to use. You had to go searching around the whole complex to find a luggage cart to get your bags to your room.

I am personally glad that Disney has the policy that they do. Yes, it is a pain to have to tip the person who gets your luggage from your car and the person who brings your bags to your room, but the system works. I am thankful that I can pull right up and give my bags to the waiting bellman, and not have to roam around the whole resort looking for an empty luggage cart that the last guest who used it just left in a random spot.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
There is a reason they don't let guests use the luggage carts as they wish. We stayed at a condo in Destin, FL last summer that supplied about 4 luggage carts for the whole condo to use - no bellmen. It was a disaster. There was never one in the parking lot when you needed one. If a guest managed to get one, they would take them into their condo to use later, or leave them right outside of their condo - they couldn't be bothered to actually return them to the parking lot for the next guests to use. You had to go searching around the whole complex to find a luggage cart to get your bags to your room.

I am personally glad that Disney has the policy that they do. Yes, it is a pain to have to tip the person who gets your luggage from your car and the person who brings your bags to your room, but the system works. I am thankful that I can pull right up and give my bags to the waiting bellman, and not have to roam around the whole resort looking for an empty luggage cart that the last guest who used it just left in a random spot.
+1

Moderate resorts like Four Points by Sheraton do that... and it's very annoying if you show up late. The front desk staff always answers... someone just took it, there was some there before. Then you won't get one... until the next morning.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTravels View Post
"VWL never again"? The OP made the decision without commenting on the resort itself... it is literally judging a book by its cover. To the OP, have you seen and commented on the beach, walkways, wilderness atmosphere, camp fire with marshmallow, romantic boat ride, etc? Nope... you never want to do it again because the check in process did not go very smoothly.

VWL is one of the most relaxing resorts in my opinion, great for vacations.

RiverCountry, I feel bad you had a misunderstanding with Valet/bell services, I believe it's been well explained on this thread why it happens that way, until they figure out how to get a bellman to the front door that is... some day bell services will put 2 and 2 together.

I do believe Moretravels is right. Don't judge VWL/WL by that experience alone. Short story: Back in 2008, my kids and I had the flu, my daughter had to go to the ER for a swollen throat and the luggage transfer service snapped a wheel off of a large suitcase (we moved over from AKV). All I wanted was a little help figuring out what to do about the luggage and the WL front desk manager got very adamant about how it was not their fault and made me out to be a Disney villain (this was before the resorts sold luggage.) I lugged our luggage (like you, 3 round trips) from our VWL villa to our main lodge room for our last room swap of the trip... Obviously I wasn't thinking straight or I would have called bell services to help move our stuff. Lesson learned

My point: If I were to base my opinion of what VWL was like off of that experience we never would have had 6+ more wonderful trips to the resort in the following years and more to come!

Last edited by twinklebug; 04-30-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: recounted
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

I have only used Bell services at BLT and found the same service as other posters bellman was right behind us - 1 tip. We hope to go to BWV soon and I have to say if our room is ready and we need help with our bags I am only going to tip once - when the bags arrive in the room! This is crazy!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The difference with BLT and the other resorts is that BLT doesn't have valet parking. Valet is only at the Contemporary and not at BLT. OKW and SSR don't have valet parking either. So no handoff from valet to bell services.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Our luggage makes it through airports, by one adult and kids in tow. We won't be playing that pass off game anytime soon.
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: