DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
River Country
DIS Jedi

Vwl never again

Let's just say my trip was less than magical at the VWL this past week for several reasons.

1. upon arrival we did not expect to have our 2 Villas ready since we were there early and typically they are not ready until early afternoon and it was 11AM. So we collect our box of stuff that we shipped down and get on a bus to Epcot(even though we had a car....Dont ask) We are not even off the WL property and get a text that our rooms are ready when we were specifically told they would not be ready until 3.

2. Upon return from Epcot i get my min-van with all our bags as my wife and father get the keys to the villas. I pull up in the vallet area and start to unload the car...valet comes over and says...

Valet Mgr: Only a bellman can use the luggage cart
Me: OK do you have one available?
Valet Mgr: Yes but you have to store your bags
Me: But my room is ready now and i am going directly to my room. Why would i store and check my bags when i am going directly to my room?
Valet Mgr: unfortunately that is the only way we do it here
Me: Well in NJ where i am from that is stupid, i will just do it myself

Do you know he sat there with 3 bellman and watch me and my father make 3 trips with bags. I received a White Chocolate Donald later that day wishing me a Magical experience, becasue i guess someone overheard what was going on but the damage was done. In any event i will go back only to see the beautiful christmas decorations and to eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe but i will not stay there again.

Again this is just my experience and it does not necessarily reflect the true spirit of the resort but i am going back to BWV
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

Last August, during our stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we were also told that luggage carts could only be used by cast members, not guests. The policy may seem silly, but luggage carts pose a liability for the resort. Children want their parents to give them "rides." When an accident occurs, some guests pass the blame onto Disney.

It is a safety measure that surely arose from a lawsuit.
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
wdwlover25
Mouseketeer

We had the same thing happen at BWV over spring break. Our bags were nicely stacked on the luggage cart at bell services but we were not allowed to take the cart ourselves to the room.
wdwlover25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
RescueRanger
If you put $200 under your pillow at night, you will get a tag
I have no hots for Robinrs because I don't want the Mummy curse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMountain77 View Post
Last August, during our stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we were also told that luggage carts could only be used by cast members, not guests. The policy may seem silly, but luggage carts pose a liability for the resort. Children want their parents to give them "rides." When an accident occurs, some guests pass the blame onto Disney.

It is a safety measure that surely arose from a lawsuit.
He knows that. But when he asked for a bellboy to help him, the manager said that they would only help him if he stored his luggage first. They would not take it directly to the room. That is what he was miffed about. At least, that's the way I read it.

Me DW DD(18) DD(15) DSiL

RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
sgtdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
He knows that. But when he asked for a bellboy to help him, the manager said that they would only help him if he stored his luggage first. They would not take it directly to the room. That is what he was miffed about. At least, that's the way I read it.
That's the way I read it too. It's not about the carts, but the lack of customer service. I think a call to member satisfaction may be needed here. They certainly could have explained and handled things differently, PLUS if they were sitting around watching you schlep bags, they must not have been too busy.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
DisneyFreaks
Don't get me started about those darn busses!

Maybe it's just my weird way of thinking but maybe the loss of that $2 to $3 per bag tip has alot to do with it as well? I'm not comfortable having our bags handled by anyone but us so I'm researching the shortest walking path from the parking lot to the villas at VWL. Plus I have some mobility issues as well so this is important to me anyway.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
drusba

DIS Veteran

The rule against allowing guests to use the luggage carts on their own is very common among hotels. Also, even if room is ready, you generally leave the luggage with the valet group. You then just tell bell services inside to have them brought to room, which they usually do very quickly. That is the result of the practice of not having the bellman and the luggage cart follow along with the guests to the room, including because they don't want the luggage cart and all the guests in the elevator at once if they can avoid it. If tipping is the issue, just remember that you are not required to tip
Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

It's the same at Kidani, but they let us unload the car onto the cart and then they took it inside and brought it to us roughly an hour later, maybe less!

If you really enjoy the resort and the villa was clean and well appointed, maybe after a few weeks you're experience with bell ser. will dim in comparison to the rest of your stay!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me: But my room is ready now and i am going directly to my room. Why would i store and check my bags when i am going directly to my room?

That's the way it has been for ALL of the resorts at WDW we have stayed at. They do not just follow you to the room. There is always a stop in the back room and a switch of people.

Has happened at Jambo, Kidani (and they took AGES to get to the room), Boardwalk... At SSR we had stored things with them (b/c we have no interest in leaving bags in a car like you did...our stuff is important to us, too important to possibly be stolen from our vehicle) so of course there was the storage stop in between.

Oh wait it wasn't so at POR, but it was around 2am and there was only one Bell Services guy on duty so he couldn't switch out to someone else.

Where else have we stayed and wanted them to follow us? Hasn't come up at OKW b/c we leave the car in the checkin lot and if the room is ready we just drive over. If not, we store the bags.

VWL was actually the best for us, because DH was getting bags checked since it was early in the morning and we had no expectation of the room being ready, and I was checking in. The room was indeed ready and I was able to contact DH. The bags were on the cart heading to the back room, but they heard what was happening and held the bag cart at the Bell desk. They still didn't physically follow us to the room, but they didn't take the bags in back, either. And they were there quickly.

I think it's a misunderstanding of what you were saying, of what they were saying, combined with the fact that their policy is to NOT follow you to the room. There's pretty much always going to be a switchover in personnel.

Happens at the Universal resorts, too, by the way.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

This incident is related to the separate status of Valet (employees of BAGS, INC) and Bell Services (employees of Disney). Apparently use of luggage carts at arrival at the front door is restricted to Valet. You can carry them yourself inside and get a bell person or you can pay (tip) valet to unload onto a cart and then pay (tip) Bell Services to deliver to the room. On departure Bell Services can bring your stuff from your room all the way to your car, if it is waiting in the arrival/departure area. This setup is a pet peeve of mine. I am a good tipper and prefer to tip only once. Petty of me, I know.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
permavac
Have you seen this chicken?

Maybe it is different at different resorts? We stayed at BLT this past January. We drove up to the front and started loading the cart provided by Bell Services and once it was finished my DH and the bellman with the cart went directly up to the room. There was no "checking" of our luggage beforehand. Either we got lucky or things are done differently at BLT.

Terri
permavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We've stayed at VWL many times and love it there. I don't think you did yourself any favors by making this comment.

You're on vacation. Why do people always think things have to be done just like they are at home, wherever home is? (kinda like the "ugly American" comments from overseas travelers)

Plus, it sounds like it's the system in all the resorts now anyway, no matter where you want to stay.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Wanted to add that this happened to us during a stay at the AKV too. We normally just bring our own luggage now and skip the whole process.
Oct. 18-Nov 1 @ BWV

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Sunshine22
Mouseketeer

When we drove to WDW and stayed at BLT, we used the luggage carts at BLT ourselves after checking in at the Contemporary. Now that there is a check in desk at BLT, I wonder if they now require the bellman to take luggage up to rooms with the luggage carts.
Sunshine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
Let's just say my trip was less than magical at the VWL this past week for several reasons.

1. upon arrival we did not expect to have our 2 Villas ready since we were there early and typically they are not ready until early afternoon and it was 11AM. So we collect our box of stuff that we shipped down and get on a bus to Epcot(even though we had a car....Dont ask) We are not even off the WL property and get a text that our rooms are ready when we were specifically told they would not be ready until 3.

2. Upon return from Epcot i get my min-van with all our bags as my wife and father get the keys to the villas. I pull up in the vallet area and start to unload the car...valet comes over and says...

Do you know he sat there with 3 bellman and watch me and my father make 3 trips with bags. I received a White Chocolate Donald later that day wishing me a Magical experience, becasue i guess someone overheard what was going on but the damage was done. In any event i will go back only to see the beautiful christmas decorations and to eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe but i will not stay there again.

Again this is just my experience and it does not necessarily reflect the true spirit of the resort but i am going back to BWV

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: