Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Memories of Walt Disney...

Do you think Walt Disney World would so so successful if Walt Disney was running the business with today's money generating practices???

Not only he created the dream, he lived by it as well...

Quote:
...Walt Disney believed in the same principle. He was adamant about giving extras to retain his current customers. He called it plussing. Here is a summary of the concept by John Torre:

Normally, the word “plus” is a conjunction, but not in Walt’s vocabulary. To Walt, “plus” was a verb—an action word—signifying the delivery of more than what his customers paid for or expected to receive…Because for Walt, nothing less than the best was acceptable when it bore his name and reputation, and he did whatever it took to give his guests more value than they expected to receive for their dollar.

Perhaps one of the best examples of Walt’s obsession for “plussing” comes from Disney historian Les Perkins’ account of an incident that took place at Disneyland during the early years of the park. Walt had decided to hold a Christmas parade at the new park at a cost of $350,000. Walt’s accountants approached him and besieged him to not spend money on an extravagant Christmas parade because the people would already be there. Nobody would complain, they reasoned, if they dispensed with the parade because nobody would be expecting it.

Walt’s reply to his accountants is classic: “That’s just the point,” he said. ”We should do the parade precisely because no one’s expecting it. Our goal at Disneyland is to always give the people more than they expect. As long as we keep surprising them, they’ll keep coming back. But if they ever stop coming, it’ll cost us ten times that much to get them to come back.”

This last sentence also deserves repeating, “If they ever stop coming, it’ll cost us ten times that much to get them to come back.”

nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

Absolutely! He was NOT a man set in his ways. He definitely changed with the times! That's what made him such a great innovator and inventor! I think he would find a way to make WDW more money while still charging us less!

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Walt never ran the business end of things- he let his brother Roy take care of the administrative side. And on more than one occasion credited Roy with saving their bacon. I doubt that we would have seen the success of the Disney empire without BOTH of them running things. Walt had the vision. Roy made it work.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
denisem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Walt never ran the business end of things- he let his brother Roy take care of the administrative side. And on more than one occasion credited Roy with saving their bacon. I doubt that we would have seen the success of the Disney empire without BOTH of them running things. Walt had the vision. Roy made it work.

More than one biography on Walt Disney pretty much states this fact. Walt had the imagination, and ability to inspire others, but Roy oversaw all the financial aspects. I don't think he's ever gotten the credit he deserved.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisem View Post

More than one biography on Walt Disney pretty much states this fact. Walt had the imagination, and ability to inspire others, but Roy oversaw all the financial aspects. I don't think he's ever gotten the credit he deserved.
When he wanted to be, Walt was a pretty good business man as well. He just didn't like that end of it. He was a creator and generator of ideas. That was his calling. I agree that Roy's influence saved the company more than once, but, if he would have had his way there never would have been a Disneyland.

He should be remembered for making sure that Walt Disney World was created even after Walt's death. He was the one that named it Walt Disney World instead of the name the Walt had chosen of just Disneyworld. But I suppose that Roy Disney World wouldn't have had the same impact.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

This is a very interesting question, especially for those of us who are Disney snobs.

Walt was the creative guy and helped plan Disneyworld, but died many years before it was opened.
Roy was the money guy, and died a few months after it opened.

So in reality, what Disneyworld has become, it has become with Disney influence, but not Disney control.

If you ever visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.....built in San Francisco not Anaheim or Orlando, because of the distain the Disney family has for what the Disney company has become.........I think you will find that those who knew Walt and Roy think Disneyworld is not what they had hoped for. In my opinion, they think the scales are tipped heavily towards commercial success, where as when Walt and Roy ran things, the scales were tipped heavilty towards creative success.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
... In my opinion, they think the scales are tipped heavily towards commercial success, where as when Walt and Roy ran things, the scales were tipped heavilty towards creative success.
This is exactly what I had in mind.

nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I think you will find that those who knew Walt and Roy think Disneyworld is not what they had hoped for. In my opinion, they think the scales are tipped heavily towards commercial success, where as when Walt and Roy ran things, the scales were tipped heavilty towards creative success.

I think that it is not possible to run a publicly owned business without keeping in mind that commercial success is one key measurement that potential investors use when determining where to place funds. Perhaps it seems that the money crunchers are going too far, but think about how the parks would be if they went the other way. Without enough profit to fund the creative advances we all enjoy, there would be no real future for WDW.

Now I am biases, because my DGD owns one framed share of WDW, so of course I want her investment to be solid. I actually think that there is a balance, but we never really get to see why decisions are made, we see what we miss and know what we would want to see remain.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: