Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Disney Magic Rehab issues
Should the one stair case be torn down? 10 41.67%
Should the Magic paint scheme include more grays? 4 16.67%
Should the huge entrance chandelier be eliminated? 4 16.67%
Should the Magic return to the Baltic? 12 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
boac
Earning My Ears

Disney Magic Enhancements /Rehab response

We have been on the Magic 7 times, twice on the Wonder and once on the Fantasy. We love Disney Cruising especially as seniors. Of all of the ships, the Magic is our favorite.

After digesting the many photos and commentary, I am NOT THRILLED with the re-design of the Atrium. The two stair cases and Mickey really made THE Magic a Majestic ship entrance. The Chandelier was specially designed for the ship and was unique to this great vessel. Its a poor excuse to take this keynote ATRIUM and make it a gymnasium to meet and greet Princesses! This needs major re-thinking on Disney’s behalf. Disney needs to go back to the statements made by Disney management about the Magic when it was first introduced. I am also concerned about the excessive use of “gray” colors in the dining rooms. The classic Mickey colors of Blue, Red and gold should be the theme colors for the ship.. not gray and pastel this and that. I strongly urge Disney designers to stick to the plan in keeping the Magic majestic.. the most classic Cruise Ship on the Seas.. not the newest “teckie designed”. I could see using some of these new color schemes on the Wonder with its Art Nouvelle designs. BUT KEEP THE MAGIC CLASSIC AND MAJESTIC. Frankly, I would strong avoid using green and brown on a ship.. not nautical color.. keep those for the resorts on land. Lastly, what’s in store for the rehab of the adult pool…. hope they keep the pool in its same configuration so we can do some laps.
boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

By voting on the poll, are we voting agree/yes, or disagree/no? Or are we supposed to choose the option we like best or hate the most?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
boac
Earning My Ears

Magic Rehab Poll - Yes or No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
By voting on the poll, are we voting agree/yes, or disagree/no? Or are we supposed to choose the option we like best or hate the most?
They are all questions.. responses should be yes or no!

First poll I have written.. any idea how we can add yes or no to each statement inthe poll? Help...

Thanks..

Last edited by boac; 04-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There isn't a way to do a yes/no question unless you post both options as choices.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
boac
Earning My Ears

Perhaps Disboard should cut the poll and let me write a new one... confusing???
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
There isn't a way to do a yes/no question unless you post both options as choices.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

I vote no on all of those except returning to the Baltic.

The Magic was our first ship, and we have many fond memories of her.

I think eliminating the staircase makes the room look unbalanced. Like it wasn't finished. The single staircase on the Dream/Fantasy looks fine as it was designed with the curved style. Only one staircase on the Magic/Wonder (because it was designed to be symmetrical) looks odd.

And I don't understand why they are removing the chandelier. If it's an age/deterioration situation, why can't they just replace it with a duplicate?

I also don't care for the AquaDunk. I think it looks like they just slapped a plastic tube on the side of the ship. I'm also concerned that the entrance to it will be at the entrance to the adult areas of the ship, possibly making it noisier/more congested. And the problem of the kids in line "just peeking" in.

However, I do like the Parrot Cay/Carioca change and the Topsiders/Cabanas change.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I'm also concerned that the entrance to it will be at the entrance to the adult areas of the ship, possibly making it noisier/more congested. And the problem of the kids in line "just peeking" in.
This is how it is on the Fantasy; the area on deck 12 where the family wading pool is overlooks the adult area/pool on deck 11. It's not too noisy tho. I think that has the potential to be noisier than people in line for the AquaDunk. JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

These are my fully developed thoughts on the redesigns.

1) The Atrium
I like the brightness this space has. The new curtains are very nice as well. At first, I was weary of the removal of the starboard stairwell, but I now feel that it was a good design move. The new carpet on the stairs is simply too blue, overwhelmingly so. Similarly, the main floor carpet does not seem to fit in the space. I feel it would look better with Ariel, on the Wonder.
On to my biggest disappointment in the space, the chandelier. The rendered chandelier looks horrid, to be honest. It does not seem to flow with the rest of the space. I am shocked that the Festa Venezia I is being removed, though a tad dark at times; I feel with minor lighting adjustments it could be made brighter and more inviting.

2) The Adult district
Keys and O'Gills look amazing. I believe they will be very popular.
I am not sure how I feel about Fathoms. I like the space, but the renderings make it look dark and smokey. I think this is just the rendering and the space will be very nice in completion.

3) AquaLab
This area looks very fun! However, I am not sure why the Mickey pool is being removed. The blue deck treatment looks similar to pool decks on other cruise lines(Royal Caribbean International, for example), and I am not impressed. I feel something different could have been done here that would keep the classic feel and incorporating modern details.

4) The Youth Spaces
The club and lab renderings look amazing! I would have loved to play in these spaces as a child. Good job! I would like to see what is being done in the teen and tween area as well.

5) Carioca's
The first rendering I saw was overwhelmingly white. However, the evening render looks warmer and the central light fixtures being on helps with the white. A friends of mine commented that the costumes were very shocking, and I agree. Perhaps subtler colours could be used. Overall, I like this redesign.

6) AquaDunk
I am shocked that the decision was made to add this type of slide to the Magic.I feel the slide, though red, will take away from the aesthetic lines of the ship. I like the idea of the slide; it looks really fun, but it's placement in questionable. Much like the Dream and Fantasy, more supports will be used than rendered and there will be a lot of clutter in front of the funnel. I feel this slide, or derivative, could be placed without ruining the lines of the ship.

7) Other spaces not rendered
I am perplexed at the change from Studio Sea to D-Lounge. I am not sure why this change is needed. I would like to warn against creating the same spaces on all four ships, as each should have her own unique character. The same can be said for the redesign of Animator's Palette. I like the new design on the Dream and Fantasy as well as the original design on the Magic and Wonder. Upgrades are needed, but I don't feel that the design should be changed to be just like the Dream and Fantasy. Some variation is needed.
I would like to believe that the Walt Disney Theatre will be receiving some TLC during this dry dock as well. A complete redesign is not necessary, but maybe new upholstery, or something, just to refresh the space.
The rendering of the spa I saw was amazing; it looked very calming and welcoming.

Overall, I like the designs, but I feel that not all angles were looked at carefully enough.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The Magic was our first ship, and we have many fond memories of her. Same with me.

I think eliminating the staircase makes the room look unbalanced. Like it wasn't finished. The single staircase on the Dream/Fantasy looks fine as it was designed with the curved style. Only one staircase on the Magic/Wonder (because it was designed to be symmetrical) looks odd. I agree, but I feel it 'works' in this formation. I would have kept it, but I can realise why they removed it.

And I don't understand why they are removing the chandelier. If it's an age/deterioration situation, why can't they just replace it with a duplicate? I would like them to keep it as well, I have no idea why it is being removed. The rendered one looks awful. And a replacement would be very expensive as any Dal Chihuly work is.

I also don't care for the AquaDunk. I think it looks like they just slapped a plastic tube on the side of the ship. I'm also concerned that the entrance to it will be at the entrance to the adult areas of the ship, possibly making it noisier/more congested. And the problem of the kids in line "just peeking" in.I personally despise the placement of the slide. I looked past it on the Dream and Fantasy, but that slide is just not in the right place for the Magic/Wonder.

However, I do like the Parrot Cay/Carioca change and the Topsiders/Cabanas change.Same with me. Both look good, as does the new Palo.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
This is how it is on the Fantasy; the area on deck 12 where the family wading pool is overlooks the adult area/pool on deck 11. It's not too noisy tho. I think that has the potential to be noisier than people in line for the AquaDunk. JMHO.
I think it's funny when I walk by and see adults sitting in the middle of the family wading pool thinking that it is an adult area. I did see kids up there a couple times during the week, but most of the time not.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: