Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
Even my spouse does not like it since he has to open the mail (addressed to him) and then pass it on to me. Anyone else have this problem?

Kate
I don't have that last problem, since I open all mail. DH has no need to open things in his name. And if he did it would be silly, since I take care of all insurance stuff, stock options, 401k, banking, credit cards, etc. he travels for work, and it would be silly for things to be sitting there while he is away for 3 weeks.

But we have had DVC reservations with my name last. However, it's not just his name that has gone first. Seems that DVC likes to put the *last name entered* as the lead guest, in direct opposition to what it looks like as you are filling things out.

It wasn't an issue on our cruise, but on many DVC reservations I have been the last guest, with random and changing people listed first (most of our WDW trips have involved stays with just the 3 of us up to 8 people).

You wouldn't see it as sexist if your female cousin were listed as lead on a stay, right? And that's the kind of thing that can happen with DVC's bizarro-world system.

For us it's super-important that I'm up front on that reservation, because I'm the adult who is 100% sure to be there. Because of Dh's work and level of expertise, there is always the chance that he'll be pulled out or away from a vacation, leading me to be the one to check in. If I can't be found, that is a problem. Ran into the issue booking through hotels.com for an offsite Disneyland reservation last year, where I had put HIS name instead of mine, but he was coming in later. They had to talk to him, he had to call hotels.com, hotels.com had to fax permission to let me check in to the hotel, and only then could I check in. Never again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrefly View Post
All of the paperwork came to my place addressed to BFLastName Family, even though it was my credit card and he was listed as my guest.

Then the CM on the phone called me Mrs. BFLastName. I corrected him and I could hear his quiet mortification over the phone so at least that was something. I'm glad at least the hotel reservations and tickets were with the correct, separate last names but I'm still getting junk mail for a family I don't have yet!

That sort of nonsense could really get them in trouble with someone more easily offended than me.

Semi-related. DH and I kept our names. I have a doctorate, and used to put Dr instead of Ms on reservations etc. I booked our honeymoon, planned our honeymoon, etc etc. Dr B and Mr W were on the reservation at the Westin Grand up in Vancouver the night before our cruise. For the nights before the cruise and the night we spent back there
after the cruise, they kept on referring to my husband as being Dr B. So they'd given him my doctorate AND my last name. It just showed how little they paid attention, because if they'd looked at the other name, MISTER W, they could have seen that the female was probably the Dr B. They even put it in writing congratulating us on our honeymoon, etc. Really annoying. And kind of funny. He was annoyed at them taking away my doctorate, but was amused by my last name being his; he has plans to take my name in the future anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
My spouse and I do not have the same last names. I tried to talk him into taking my name but it did not fly. I think I have the "cooler" last name. He likes his more "common" last name. Our child is stuck with both names.
We've done the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
It is not sex it is computer programming thing. As a computer programmer you have to go out of your way to put one on top and how do the decide to sort it... Age, first name, last name, ID number..... Give the programmer a break
Why wouldln't the programmer just use the first-name-the-guest-listed as the first guest? Why would they make things complicated? With DVC's penchant for *last guest listed* becoming lead guest, that means the programmer has almost certain done something WRONG. They have made things more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
We've had our reservations get booked under my name or my DWs name from time to time, even though I'm the one making the reservation. Gets a little "Goofy" sometimes because my wife hyphenates her last name. Caused a bit of a issue once when arriving at the OKW gate they didn't show my name on their check in log sheet, as having a reservation. Luckily my wife thought to ask (once my heart started beating again ) if they had the reservation under her name, which it was & we were allowed to proceed to check in. Now whenever I book reservations, I always ask which name is listed under, if it's DW I ask them to change it to mine. Problem seems to have gone away.
On our first stay at WDW, at OKW using DH's DVC points (it's in his name only), I had booked everything. And MY name couldn't be found on the list at the guard booth. My cousins and aunt were in the car in front of us, gave their last name, and got in just fine. My name? Not on there.

When we got to the checkin desk, 7 of the 8 keycards said "DVC Member" on them. Even the 3 year old first-cousin-once-removed. But not mine. The one who had entered her name first, to whom everything came and was addressed. It's truly ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
I'd be curious to find out how this happens as well. My father-in-law made a surprise cruise reservation for the family during our last sailing. We inadvertently discovered the surprise when Disney mailed all of the confirmation paperwork to my home address! We were just one of the 5 parties which were on the booking so NO idea why I got the paperwork! Was happy to find out the surprise early though. Gave me the opportunity to surprise him right back by upgrading the cruise!
I love that you upgraded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
For example on our cruise suddenly we started getting things with both our names on them - "the xxxxx/xxxxxx Family. Though we had to laugh as they spelled both wrong, but then again that happens all the time
I'd love the "hyphenated" family! Even though it's not accurate for us. But at least it includes all of us. But to spell both parts wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_n_cy View Post
Someone very wise once told me to pick my battles.

This thread is highly entertaining to me.

CY
Why do you think people see it as a *battle* though? Why not just see it as something bewildering and mind-boggling that Disney has chosen to do, and would be nice to get FIXED?

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 04-29-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: weirdly capitalized "but"s
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I'm the one who has always booked WDW vacations and DCL cruises, but any paperwork or emails always have DH's name on them. Once I even got something with my stepfather's name on it sent to my house. They went on a few DCL cruises with us.

It used to bother me when I saw it, but I've gotten used to it now and just let it slide.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #33
DolphinKate
Ears perked for great tips!

Me, too!

I have previously been on the DCL and no one else in my family has been. I am the one who made the reservations using my Castraway Club membership, yet, everything showed up in DH's name. Oh well. But it's funny I found this thread after it irritated me.
DolphinKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #34
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

All our documents came in with my last name. Not my hubby's. But OT, our kids school pictures came one year. I ordered one set. When they came in I got a second set with a sticky note that said for the father. I was a bit taken aback lol. They had never done that before. So I called and settled the matter. I didn't need two sets of pictures for the kids whole school career lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

My husband booked our first DCL so every time we book now, it goes in his name. This is the first time that I haven't been able to get it link to my name on the Disney website though.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I am not sure why Disney gets kind of screwy with this sort of stuff. Happens to us a lot too. The DCL stuff all ended up in my name this time, but in the past, with hotel reservations and such, it seems like a toss up. It doesn't really bother me or my husband. However, I will relate a little to what bumbershoot was saying. My husband is a Dr. and he doesn't ever mind being called by his first name, he actually prefers it, but he HATES when someone calls him Mr. Drives him crazy. He has corrected Disney on it many times, and they still always call him Mr. every time he shows up at the hotel. It is slightly humorous to me because my husband is so mellow about stuff. He is the guy who lets everything roll off his shoulders. Everything EXCEPT this one issue. And Disney can't get it right. Our entire cruise he kept saying "Just call me Chris" to the waiters and every night they would say "Mr. H..." Made him crazy.

Guess we all have our little pet peeves.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #37
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
I am not sure why Disney gets kind of screwy with this sort of stuff. Happens to us a lot too. The DCL stuff all ended up in my name this time, but in the past, with hotel reservations and such, it seems like a toss up. It doesn't really bother me or my husband. However, I will relate a little to what bumbershoot was saying. My husband is a Dr. and he doesn't ever mind being called by his first name, he actually prefers it, but he HATES when someone calls him Mr. Drives him crazy. He has corrected Disney on it many times, and they still always call him Mr. every time he shows up at the hotel. It is slightly humorous to me because my husband is so mellow about stuff. He is the guy who lets everything roll off his shoulders. Everything EXCEPT this one issue. And Disney can't get it right. Our entire cruise he kept saying "Just call me Chris" to the waiters and every night they would say "Mr. H..." Made him crazy.

Guess we all have our little pet peeves.
That's pretty funny. I can totally picture that.

I think sometimes there really isn't any big deal whose name these things fall under, except for a couple of instances. Legal documents need to be filled out properly, so DVC needs to get that fixed for that PP. they are legal documents, after all. I have a problem with the person who got notified of a cruise that was meant to be a surprise for them. That's not right for that to happen. Sometimes the wrong name can prevent someone from changing reservations and such.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some posters on here are saying it isn't a big deal, relax, etc., but sometimes it is a big deal.

carissa1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #38
nene0182
Mouseketeer

While I don't think of it as a sexist thing, I do think of it as an annoyance. I booked our first ever DCL cruise as a surprise for my husband and planned on surprising him for his birthday. He never opens anything addressed to me but Disney sent a "thanks for booking" mailing addressed to him and he opened it because he saw it was for DCL and we had been researching if that's what we should do for a vacation. It really ruined the surprise. I was annoyed but figured it just had to do with him being older then me. I am planning on surprising him with a trip for our 5 year wedding anniversary and his 40th birthday but plan on using a different address for that trip.

CSR- 10/2012
nene0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

for some reason it bugs me too. I want top billing since I do everything when it comes to trips.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #40
kiford
Mouseketeer

My husband and I have different last names. All of the payments are made on his credit card under his name but all of the booking appears under my name. All of the mailings we get are to the X family with my surname, not his. I'm the one who does most of the legwork and bookings so maybe that's why it always shows up in my name. Maybe my travel agent who knows that I'm the one with the knowledge and the interest in making the decisions is the one who puts it in my name even if he pays for it?

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (49) Him (52)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #41
jennifer_f
Earning My Ears

This has happened to us all three disney trips-two at wdw and our cruise. I did all planning, reserving, payment, and dealings with travel agent, etc. Yet when the official reservation arrives, it is in DH's name! It does irk me a bit but we are all going together and we are married so its not like they put my ex husbands info on there! I am older than DH, paid with my own credit card (he isn't even authorized user), and am alphabetically before him so not sure how they decide whose name to put it in but I definitely find it odd they just don't use the name of the person doing the ressie as it will normally be the first name listed!!
jennifer_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #42
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Thanks for those details, perhaps it is gender after all.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #43
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

So Were Do I Get The Chocolate Mike

To quote one of the Moderators. Question asked and answered.
C on guys and gals.
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
ROAD STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyworld View Post
for some reason it bugs me too. I want top billing since I do everything when it comes to trips.
I think that's what it comes down to, at least for me. Luckily for DCL and the actual confirmations for DVC, I get top billing, as is my due. (it's just when we go to check in to the resort that I disappear, LOL)

The fact that I'm showing up for things like that shows that it's not actually sexism written into the code, but just some error *somewhere*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post
To quote one of the Moderators. Question asked and answered.
C on guys and gals.
Question has not been fully answered, as a Disney IT person has not come in to explain it all. Question has been discussed and theorized about, but not answered.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #45
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Our Disney stuff always ends up in DH's name first, too. Oddly enough, he wasn't even in there when I bought the DVC contract ... yet his name is first on it.

Its not age, since he's younger than me. It might be alphabetical since his last name starts with an "A" and mine starts with an "S".

We're both ethnic, but he has a very complicated difficult to spell last name, and mine is from my caucasian father, so I kept mine (my first name is complicated and difficult enough, I didn't need two). Our son got his last name, if we have a daughter eventually, she will be given mine, and either can choose to change it when they turn 18; both of our last names were too long to hyphenate.

I don't know what Disney's deal is with names, but as long as they don't make it difficult for me to do the reservations, or make any changes without him, I don't care enough to write an e-mail to them about it.

Btw, I'm not sure if this is related but I once reserved a separate DVC room for my brother and nephew whose last name are both the same as mine, so I thought it would be simple and easy. The arrived later than us, so they were checking in while I was in the park, and I got a call that the front desk couldn't check them in since somehow my 12 year old nephew's name had ended up lead on the reservation. So I had to come to the front desk to authorize my brother being able to be the lead on the reservation instead of the minor ...

So whatever the program does, it doesn't exclude minors from being leads.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: