Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #91
rev02a
Dreaming of Beach Club

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to the forums and I was hoping I could join you all? I went to the doctor for that less than fun annual physical and found out that my little 27 yr old self is now 191 lbs. I am really trying not to be upset about it... I mean, it happens, right?

I teach online high school Social Studies and English. I work from home, so far less movement than usual. I am a mom to 2 sweet dogs (yep.)-- a German Shepard and a Boxer/Bulldog mix.

My goals!
- Lose 20 lbs by December.
- Start walking a mile a day... Day 2 of this so far! I hope to be walking way more than that a day, but that's my May goal!

So hi, everybody! Nice to meet ya!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #92
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

See, I told you that we would try some new and exciting things on this Disney trip! And what could be more new and exciting that Disney's latest E ticket ride Radiator Springs Racers in Disney's California Adventure? (Rumored to be coming to DHS). So let's talk a little about winning . . .

Doc Hudson says it takes more than new tires to win a race . . . .

Here is an excerpt from an article on sparkpeople called 7 Things that Separate Weight-Loss Winners & Losers.

Whether you’re focusing on your diet or hitting the gym, the commitment to long-term weight loss takes the mindset and mental stamina of a champion. You’ve got to have a supportive team and a great playbook to get on a winning streak. In this head-to-head match that lasts a lifetime, it’s all about preparation. Your success will be determined by how well you set your strategy and play the game.

Here are the winning strategies you'll need!

Winners Set Small Goals

Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts

Winners Are Proud of Themselves

Winners Take On New Challenges

Winners Keep Score

Winners Are Part of a Team

Winners Make It Fun

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...es.asp?id=1732

Which brings me to the QOTD for Friday, May 3, 2013: Do you have all the winning strategies covered? Or do you have one of your own that should be added to the list?

BRB with replies and my own answer.
Well I have about half covered - working on making it fun and being proud.. Altho I did get my results of my A1C test from last week and I dropped from 9.1 to 5.7 (4-6 is normal but everyone should be below 7 at most) so Atkins worked for that part - but my cholesterol is up a little bit.. So now i have to figure out how to balance that - I can eat less eggs (I love the yolk so I eat whole eggs) now that I've moved to OWL so for the next 3 months I'll work on that part and see what it's like at my next visit in July.. If it's not different then I'll go see a nutritionist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Morning all and HAPPY FRIDAY!! As I predicted, I got called to work today. I will hopefully have some time later in the morning to pop on here when my class heads to Music. I'll try to take just a minute right now to catch up, but not sure if I'll have time.

BTW.... DD and I booked our airline tickets last night!! We are DISNEY BOUND in 21 days!!!!

TTYL........................P
That is sooo great and please don't stress about weighing less or the same as last time - I know it feels like a big deat but I don't think it really is.. Just do you best till it's time to go and then HAVE FUN!!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #93
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev02a View Post
Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to the forums and I was hoping I could join you all? I went to the doctor for that less than fun annual physical and found out that my little 27 yr old self is now 191 lbs. I am really trying not to be upset about it... I mean, it happens, right?

I teach online high school Social Studies and English. I work from home, so far less movement than usual. I am a mom to 2 sweet dogs (yep.)-- a German Shepard and a Boxer/Bulldog mix.

My goals!
- Start walking a mile a day... Day 2 of this so far! I hope to be walking way more than that a day, but that's my May goal!

Welcome to our happy group!! Glad to have you with us!! And yet ANOTHER teacher!

20 pounds by December is a definitely do-able goal!! A mile a day is another great goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post
Well I have about half covered - working on making it fun and being proud.. Altho I did get my results of my A1C test from last week and I dropped from 9.1 to 5.7 (4-6 is normal but everyone should be below 7 at most) so Atkins worked for that part - but my cholesterol is up a little bit.. So now i have to figure out how to balance that - I can eat less eggs (I love the yolk so I eat whole eggs) now that I've moved to OWL so for the next 3 months I'll work on that part and see what it's like at my next visit in July.. If it's not different then I'll go see a nutritionist.

WOOHOO on getting that A1C down into the right range! Try mixing egg whites with one whole egg.... you still get that nice egg taste but without so much cholesterol. Do you ever eat anything else for breakfast? I know that DH ate eggs (and bacon and cheese) every single solitary day during his first foray into Atkins, but balances it better now with nonfat greek yogurt and his flaxseed muffins. Plus he mixes whole eggs and whites most days.

That is sooo great and please don't stress about weighing less or the same as last time - I know it feels like a big deat but I don't think it really is.. Just do you best till it's time to go and then HAVE FUN!!
I'm not particularly stressed by it.... I am just too cheap to go buy new shorts!!

Class is off to recess and it is time for me to eat! Tummy is really empty now, so the soup will taste good (homemade pea soup from the freezer). I probably will not have time to pop on again today unless it is later tonight, so for now I'll say g'bye!................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #94
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Welcome to our happy group!! Glad to have you with us!! And yet ANOTHER teacher!

20 pounds by December is a definitely do-able goal!! A mile a day is another great goal!

I'm not particularly stressed by it.... I am just too cheap to go buy new shorts!!

Class is off to recess and it is time for me to eat! Tummy is really empty now, so the soup will taste good (homemade pea soup from the freezer). I probably will not have time to pop on again today unless it is later tonight, so for now I'll say g'bye!................P
Haaa Ok good I was worried it might overshawdow the excitement of your trip..

well, I started 2/18 and I know for the first 2 weeks it was eggs eggs eggs then when I moved on I bet that most weeks had 5 days of 2 egg breakfasts because they were filling and held me over till lunch .. since adding in yogurt I do eat that but mainly at lunchtime I think I'll need to swap it up a bit and do the yogurt with a touch of frozen raspberries for breakfast and then figure out something else for lunch.

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #95
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Well, I had a nice lunch, although I did have bread!!! Chose wholemeal though...best I could do. I was lovely to catch up with my old friend, particularly when the first words out of her mouth were "Wow, you've lost lots of weight"! Also got comments from OH's co-workers when I picked him up from work.......the power of skinny jeans eh?????

So QOTD..........

Winners Set Small Goals - monthly weight loss challenge with you guys

Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts - I class this as the days where I eat out and go slightly off plan

Winners Are Proud of Themselves - hmmm, this is the one I struggle with, but I'm getting better at recognising my achievements!!!

Winners Take On New Challenges - Walking, maybe joining a gym, cooking from scratch

Winners Keep Score - Food diary and weekly weigh-in.

Winners Are Part of a Team - You lot, and the Slimming World class I attend

Winners Make It Fun - reading this stuff, cooking, walking, I'm loving it all at the moment

Going to decide in the morning whether to go campng for one night - we bought a used canvas tent last year that needs a bit of TLC, so we thought that if we've got to put it up to replace the parts, we might as well put it up on a campsite and sleep there overnight. Will see what the weather is like in the morning. Oooh, did I happen to mention that it's a holiday weekend here - no work until Tuesday (sorry to rub it in!!!)
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #96
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Well.... I definitely do NOT have ALL of the winning strategies covered...but first of all, I am part of TWO teams.... here and at WW (although admittedly, I haven't attended meetings there in a long time). I also take on new challenges occasionally (like eating vegetarian for multiple days in a row, eliminating carbs, trying new recipes). And I guess I "keep score" by stepping on the scale faithfully every week. I definitely struggle with the "proud of myself" part, but I do try to be proud of my accomplisments. I guess I take "breaks" when I allow myself a meal during the week to splurge and not worry too much about calories/points/portions.

What a FABULOUS list!! And what a great way to let us know how to help ourselves! Thanks Lisa!! ......................P
Yep the be proud of yourself is a hard one for many of us but we should remember to celebrate our accomplishments and hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
lisa -- that is excellent on the snack after a workout! thank you!!! and thanks to everyone who chimed in with a tip! i now have you all sitting on my shoulder when i find myself in that situation again and last night it occurred to me another strategy I used to rely on....brush me teeth! to me that signals that i'm done eating for the day, my teeth are now brushed for bedtime.

Rose -- hope your injury is all healed up with no lingering pain!

we seem to have several of us who are recovering from this or that...good thing we stick together!

the 'winner's list is great! i think i may them all covered since i'm here and in this wonderful group but the one i will say i struggle with is being proud of myself. It's been very difficult emotionally to balloon up in my weight on the cusp of being my fittest in my life. back then i thought i had 5-10 lbs to lose...now i have 45 lbs to lose Cushings made my body very disproportioned and i have most of the weight gain in my abdomen, so when i look in the mirror i don't know who she is looking back at me. seriously, it CHANGED my physical appearance. Round puffy face, pregnant looking belly....i'm really having a hard time feeling proud. i know that i will need to focus on my daily accomplishments and feel proud of those! thanks for the vent
Molli, you've had such a tough time but you are strong and healthier every day! One thing I have read recently that really resonated with me is when they say "don't compare yourself to others" that includes not comparing your current self with a former version. Be where you are now.

Quote:
Hi everybody,

My goals!

I think your goal is very doable and congratulations on starting with the walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post
Haaa Ok good I was worried it might overshawdow the excitement of your trip..

well, I started 2/18 and I know for the first 2 weeks it was eggs eggs eggs then when I moved on I bet that most weeks had 5 days of 2 egg breakfasts because they were filling and held me over till lunch .. since adding in yogurt I do eat that but mainly at lunchtime I think I'll need to swap it up a bit and do the yogurt with a touch of frozen raspberries for breakfast and then figure out something else for lunch.
Can you alternate egg yolk days? I do egg whites in the microwave and they are very tasty -- not tough at all. I also eat real eggs as opposed to eggs in a carton.

QOTD: I'm feeling pretty good about my winning strategies since WW yesterday -- down 4.2 pounds, hit my 5%, and I know I will make my goal for May now.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #97
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Good morning.

Yesterday we decided to walk to the local bww for a drink. Been a long week. It's about a 25 min walk each way and it was a beautiful day. And I fell off the sidewalk. Man, it hurts to fall when you are a grownup. I fell off the left side of the sidewalk and overcompensated and slammed on my ride side. Mike had no idea what to do. I just lay there for awhile. I got a nice old big scab near my elbow. I'm going to tell DS I got it skateboarding when we see him next week. Thank goodness it was just a bunch of bruises and scapes. Nothing broken or sprained. My eating was not so great yesterday, but I did get a bunch of movement in. Here's to a better Friday!

Off to yoga.

Have a great Friday!
Don't feel bad. I actually fell over on my bike awhile back in my driveway lol. I came to a stop and my basket was really full and whoops!

Quote:
Which brings me to the QOTD for Friday, May 3, 2013: Do you have all the winning strategies covered? Or do you have one of your own that should be added to the list?
That's a great article. We are all in this together.

Quote:
Hi everybody,

My goals!

Welcome to the group. Are you a Disney fan?

Well my daughter came to my work last night and did some explaining. I believe her to some extent. At any rate she's in a better place right now so it's good.

Slept too late due to constant meowing from meowy mama concerned about her hoodlum kittens running amock. They then later attacked my laptop with such ferocity I have no time for the gym today so I'll pull out my old mat and do some ab and core exercises. I'll ride my bike to work too.
Well better go do it if I'm gonna do it at all. Noticed yesterday I'm having a hard time drinking all my water. Which means my bladder is probably shrinking back down again dang it. I think I'm going to squeeze out some limes into the icecube tray next time I fill it-- I love lime, that'll help entice me.
Have a great day all regs and newcomers!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #98
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

lisa -- thank you for your kind words..and all those who said encouraging and welcoming comments to me. it's what i've known all along...WISH ROCKS!

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #99
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Morning all and HAPPY FRIDAY!! As I predicted, I got called to work today. I will hopefully have some time later in the morning to pop on here when my class heads to Music. I'll try to take just a minute right now to catch up, but not sure if I'll have time.

BTW.... DD and I booked our airline tickets last night!! We are DISNEY BOUND in 21 days!!!!

TTYL........................P
Whoohoo on the airline tickets! 21 days is sooooo close!

Quote:

Here are the winning strategies you'll need!

Winners Set Small Goals

Winners Take Breaks and Timeouts

Winners Are Proud of Themselves

Winners Take On New Challenges

Winners Keep Score

Winners Are Part of a Team

Winners Make It Fun

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...es.asp?id=1732

BRB with replies and my own answer.
I think I have to work on being proud of myself. I have to set big goals for myself and accomplish them to feel proud. I was so proud when I ran 7 miles at a 10 min/mile pace. I am very proud now that I am going to finish the 30 Day Shred on Monday. So, I need another big goal to work toward. It's not necessarily a daily thing for me.

Quote:

Happy Birthday to DS!!
Thank you! We celebrated by catching the 3:25 showing of Iron Man 3. It was so good! And, I got the boys popcorn and only had a little. But, I did have some chocolate candy

Quote:
Hi everybody,

My goals!

Hello and welcome. Fellow teacher here. I teach for an alternative education program. I also teach History and am the special education teacher as well. I spent a good 3 hours writing my midterm progress reports on IEPs today I am actually thinking of applying to a few online schools/programs near me. Do you teach for national company?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, today was a pretty good day other than my lunch choice lol. I ate too many carbs and will pay for it on the scale the next few days. DS turned double digits today. We are waiting to really celebrate his birthday until the 19th so we can combine both boys (other DS will be 7 on the 23rd) into one big family party. So, we saw Iron Man 3 today to celebrate. That was his choice and it was very good.

I just sat down to make a menu for the week and make a grocery list. DSs have soccer games tomorrow, so I want to grocery shop after they are done so I'm not doing it Sunday. I also want to get to bed earlier tonight (I'm shooting for 10 pm). I'd love to wake up refreshed, workout, go get the cupcakes for the soccer game (I know, not healthy, but soooo delicious~they are like the ones on those cupcake wars on tv. We do cut them in half for the kids and parents ) and head off to the games at 10:10. So, I'm going to run to finish up my lists and some laundry. Have a good Friday night

Jill
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #100
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

Oops I'm a dope and PM'd my weight today - I'm in the Friday habit!! LOL
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #101
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbak3030 View Post

I'd like to start by cutting out soda and exercising 4 days a week. I work 3 12 hour shifts as an ER nurse, so those 3 days I will not be following a formal exercise plan. I'd like to join the YMCA again, but DH keeps putting me off while we try and build up our savings again. I think he will come around soon. For now I plan to walk/run/jog around the neighborhood. I'd love to LOVE to run and be the kind who runs marathons. Not sure if that will happen.....

So I hope I can join y'all and I look forward to reading more!
I gave up soda about 18 months ago and while the first few weeks were pure hell (headaches), I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did.
I upped my energy, stopped having indigestion every night, I sleep better, and I dropped 5 pounds in less than 2 months.

I'm now 4 days shy of also being chocolate free for 2 months.
That has been a harder habit to break but it was a trigger food for me so I've had to let it go.

Welcome aboard! We are all glad you could join us!
Quote:
Love the quote, Buffy! And nice to see you back here! Do you record your emotions when you are tracking so you can go back and see a pattern?
:
I'm not reall specific but I can usually tell when I'm having a bad day by my food choices.
I do track my smilie face on my C25K app on how my run went.
I've been using the note app on my phone but I've been skipping lately. I need to get back at that. I bought 2 smash books to journal my weight loss and to document my races. I need to get moving on that too. Not that I have time or anything. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #102
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote of the day:

You aren't going to get the butt you want, by sitting on the one you have

Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #103
pjlla
<><

Morning all! Just finishing my coffee before I walk. I think I'll head outside for about 30 minutes and then the TM for another 30. I would do the whole time outside but I only know one good walking area here (I'm at the Y) and it doesn't take that long. But I am committing here NOW to do a full 60 minutes! Mentally I don't want to, but I know I should. So I'm putting down the IPad after the coffee is gone and pulling out the earbuds and heading out! BBL to chat..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #104
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Quote of the day:

You aren't going to get the butt you want, by sitting on the one you have

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #105
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Be our guest! Be our guest!
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, cherie
And we'll provide the rest . . .

As our journey to the Happiest Place on Earth continues I take you to a place in Disney where many of us have not been yet -- talk about Disney magic!

And speaking of food, do you know what 300 calories looks like?

300 calories look drastically different when you're eating in instead of dining out. Choosing healthier, more nutritious foods--at home and away--means you can eat much more food and still lose weight.

Breakfast: 300-Calorie Meals & Portions
Here are three morning meals that each weigh in at 300 calories. Healthy and quick homemade meals pack whole grains, fresh fruit, and protein--a filling combination that will keep you fuller longer. You could only eat a fraction of the comparable restaurant meals (right column) for the same number of calories. Get more healthy breakfast ideas here.

And what about lunch for 350 calories?

Or dinner for 400 calories?

These images are courtesy of a sparkpeople.com article. Here is a link if you would like to see the entire article, including more pictures of 350 and 400 calorie meals. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...es.asp?id=1260

Which leads me to the QOTD for Saturday, May 4, 2013: Are you surprised by how much (or little) you can eat for the calories, depending on which foods you choose? Which meal was most shocking to you?
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: