Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #76
whoever
DIS Veteran

Check out my latest trip report in m sig. I just did DLR alone, and it was GREAT!!! Totally different experience than with a family or group. I loved it, but then again, I love every trip and have a phenomenal time every time.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #77
iKristin

DIS Veteran

I did 3 days alone a couple years back and actually had a great time. I spent time taking a lot of photos with my pro-camera since I could stop whenever I wanted and even ate at places like Breakfast With Minnie and Big Thunder Ranch by myself. I have no problem going to the park by myself since that means I can go on whatever rides I want to.

iKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #78
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat as you...sick of canceling plans when someone backs out. So, I'm planning my first trip solo from October 22-26. I'm so excited!
Jennafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #79
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKristin View Post
I did 3 days alone a couple years back and actually had a great time. I spent time taking a lot of photos with my pro-camera since I could stop whenever I wanted and even ate at places like Breakfast With Minnie and Big Thunder Ranch by myself. I have no problem going to the park by myself since that means I can go on whatever rides I want to.
How was it to eat at Big Thunder? I have always wondered about eating at family style places solo.
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #80
Disney Frenhines
Mouseketeer

Did it last November on my own at the ripe old age of 50, it was my first visit and I loved it so much I'm going back next year. I never feel lonely at any of the Disney parks as someone will always chat with you. My only con was the lack of affordable transportation back from Anaheim to LAX at 5.30am, the town car was lovely, but, $89 ouch!
Disney Frenhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #81
whoever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Frenhines View Post
I never feel lonely at any of the Disney parks as someone will always chat with you.
This. I had so many conversations with so many people.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #82
awinangie
Mouseketeer

Disney Frenhines,

What about SuperShuttle? Sixteen dollars per person to LAX from the Disneyland area. We used it in February from the Desert Inn & Suites to SNA for $10 per person.

Easy-peasy...
awinangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #83
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I meant to comment on this last week and am just now getting a chance to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafoo View Post
I'm in the same boat as you...sick of canceling plans when someone backs out. So, I'm planning my first trip solo from October 22-26. I'm so excited!
Jennafoo --

This was always my dilemma too. My friends were getting less and less reliable with each passing year (they are not as into Disney as I am), to the point of sometimes just backing out at the last minute or standing me up without a call or email! Or, they would show up and have to leave 2 hours later.

It was beginning to bum me out, make me angry and put a damper on my trips -- which is especially not fun when I am going for the holiday season or for Halloween Time, but it's not fun any time of year.

So I eased my way into solo DLR trips, gradually. I started out with a few golden solo hours in Disneyland, about 6 years ago. It was weird at first, because it was so different from the way I was used to enjoying DL. I forced myself to get some solo PhotoPass pictures -- also awkward, but I did it.

Then, in 2010 I had a mix of "friend time" and "solo time." I had 2 whole days to myself, and I decided to just use that time to do what I really love doing -- which is take pictures and wander around without holding anyone up or worrying about what anyone else wanted to do! I loved having the PPH hotel room to myself, too! That was great! I decided to try a sit-down restaurant (Storytellers) alone, and that was a bit strange, but I made it through.

In 2012 and 2013 I had more and more solo time to wander around, taking photos (almost 4 full days alone in 2013, and 4 solo nights at the hotel) and exploring. I also decided to finally go on rides by myself. (One step at a time!)

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I think I practically prefer solo trips now. That's not to say that enjoying a meal, or silly PhotoPass pictures, or riding rides with friends isn't fun -- because, when the plan works seamlessly, it is extremely fun and we laugh the entire time. However, it all just seemed to be getting too complicated over time and I had to decide to either embrace solo trips and make the most of them, or never go to DLR at all. Fortunately I have embraced them and grown to love my solo time -- I notice so many more details when I am by myself; I take sooooooo many more photos when I am by myself; and I find new ways to enjoy the parks, DTD and the 3 hotels that I wouldn't be doing if I had people with me!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #84
Matchboxjen
Earning My Ears

I ended up finding someone to go with and I'm going in September! Excited!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #85
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

I'm going alone at the end of September! I did enjoy that my mom went with me to WDW the past 2 trips but I'm not worried about going alone. I tend to like doing things alone. I can decide what to do when I want to do it though it is fun to have someone to talk to/take pictures with/hold your stuff. Still, I'm sure it'll be a blast. Staying offsite since its just me I can't justify the insane rate of an onsite hotel.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #86
BirdsSingWords
...and the Flowers Croon

I'm considering a solo trip this fall. I'm good at doing things alone (going to movies, dining out) so I'm thinking, why not go for it? I usually go to DLR with my sister, her husband, my mom, and the two young nieces, and it's a big production (and expensive).

If I wait for them, it will easily be a year before I can go again. I'm in a unique position of having some extra disposable income right now, so DL is calling my name! Nothing I'd like to spend those extra funds on more than a trip to the happiest place on earth.

I'm thinking early October for the fall decor...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #87
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post

This was always my dilemma too. My friends were getting less and less reliable with each passing year (they are not as into Disney as I am), to the point of sometimes just backing out at the last minute or standing me up without a call or email! Or, they would show up and have to leave 2 hours later.

It was beginning to bum me out, make me angry and put a damper on my trips -- which is especially not fun when I am going for the holiday season or for Halloween Time, but it's not fun any time of year....
Oh, Sherry, thank you for such a sweet, thoughtful note. You didn't just make feel better about going, I'm even more excited.

I have so much good stuff going on in my life that it's time to mark Disney off the old Bucket List! (For starters, because I have to brag, I started a blog about world soccer referees just five months ago, and now that it's the world cup my views and visits have swelled, I've been quoted on TV shows and in newspapers in Europe and have even started generating ad revenue - that usually takes a while. So that's a big deal!!)

Thanks for everything you do around here. Maybe I'll start a PTR to keep you guys updated.
Jennafoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: