Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Help a newbie choose an onsite...

We are Disney people, go every year. Just got back from 12 days- 3 of which we spent at Universal/ IOA. Let me just say, they were the best 3 days of our trip. We all voted to go to Universal and stay onsite for our entire trip next time, including a day at sea world. I am completely lost here so going to ask for advise. All of the 3 resorts look beautiful. My most important issue is noise. I know none of them are going to be quiet...but which is the best for not feeling chaotic and being generally "quieter"? Don't care much about room decor, or which has a better pool. I am looking online and honestly have no preference by looking, so just need to know if there is one that is a little more laid back.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Lucky'sMom
DIS Veteran

Assuming all of the refurbishments are completed, I would say Portofino Bay would be the quietest, and the most relaxing. It sounds like the Hard Rock is out, it is more loud and active. I think you would feel the most "away from it all" at the Portofino. Have a great trip!

2014-June, Windsor Hills pool home and HRH; 2012-July, RPR and Reunion resort pool home; May,Marriott's Grande Vista; 2011 -Jan: CSR and free dining! May: CBR (just DH and I!) ; 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!; 2008 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek and RPR; 2007 - POR, Wonder Cruise, BWV; 2006 - Springhill Suites, UO and PBH, Nick Hotel; 2005 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins; 2003 - Poly, OKW, AsMo; 2002 - UO and RPR; 2001 - Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites, ASMu; 1996 - Swan; 1995 - Swan, ASSp, ASMu; 1994 - POFQ;1990 - College Spring Break, off-site; Many trips as a child
Lucky'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Celizd
Earning My Ears

I am a newbie as well to universal...I just booked the PBH. all three are beautiful looking, so it is a tough call. I went with this one bc of the pool, but also bc I read it was not as crazy as HRH. good luck
Celizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i have stayed at all 3 hotels.
you can't go wrong with any of them.

rph has many rooms filled for conventions.
early to bed, early to rise guests.

i have found that hotel to be quiet and not much noise in the hallways in the evening time.
have not had any issues with noise filtering into my room either.
the rph lobby is large and spread out.
you'll see many sitting and relaxing there.

can't say there was any noise issue at pbh either.
can't recall anyone complaining about noise issues at this hotel.

the vibe at hrh lobby is more active.
this is the only hotel where i did hear more chatter/noise inside the room and hallways.
not saying that is a bad thing but only hotel i was aware of it.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We heard a LOT of noise in the hallways at Hard Rock. I didn't hear anything from inside the room at Portofino, and I don't remember hearing anything from Royal Pacific rooms. The grounds of Portofino are large and spread out, and unless there are kids or louder adults in the piazza it's all very peaceful. RPR felt nice, too, though a bit more close in.

For your needs I would choose either RPR or Portofino.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Portofino is probably what you are looking for then.We stayed there and it was very serene and quiet.We did go over to the Hard Rock one day (you can pool hop).It was loud and a hopping place.But all 3 are very nice resorts.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
lizaisabel
Mouseketeer

I stayed at the Hard Rock and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. I didn't noted any issues regarding noise while we were at the hotel and they had some concert onsite during our stay. Instead it was very quiet and it was for late May during memorial weekend. Rooms are larger than the ROyal Pacific but smaller than portofino. I loved the walking trail connecting to Universal (about 5-10 minutes walk away).
lizaisabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
maiyoli
Mouseketeer

Just want to let you know that if you stay at the hard rock, make sure you are not on floor one or two. Those are for people with pets and it does get noisy. But hard rock is still my favorite.
maiyoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. Looks like we will be trying Portofino Bay.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
PBH is a beautiful and quiet hotel. The trade-off is that it is the farthest away from Citywalk, USF, and IOA of the three hotels. So anticipate the longest walk along the pathway, or the longest wait for the transfer boat.

Plans to skip HHNs this year in favor of attending the Christmas holiday activities.
patster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
Make sure you go through the thread dedicated to the PBH for shortcut maps and other info.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=272204

The thread starts quite a while ago, so watch the date when you are reading because many things are updated along the way, through the years, on the thread.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Hope you love it.Iti s the furthest from the parks, but it is NOT that far.Still a nice stroll or dedicated boat ride.We actually beat the boat on some occasions because the boat docks and waits several mins to unload and then load before it will depart.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: