Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #76
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

It is what it is.

Some people tip because other people do, some because they got exceptional service, some because they feel sorry for the worker, and some, just because.

The guy cleaning the public restroom, the bus driver who puts up with all sorts of people, the guy that valet parks your car in the heat and the rain, all get paid less than Mousekeeping. Mousekeeping has a bonus program and they can leave early and get paid for it, they also get to take all kinds of things home left by the guests, food, toys, things too big to pack.

Our family doesn't tip.

Bill

Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #77
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Before every WDW trip, I go to the bank and get a bunch of $5 bills.

We use these to tip Mousekeeping and bell services (we do split stays, so we end up tipping bell services multiple times).
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #78
cobright
DIS Veteran

The first morning after our arrival I put a $20 in our mousekeeper's hand, "Su propina. Gracias." Then I ask her name (it's always a her) and say that if I am not there to give it to her personally she will find an envelope with her name on it taped to the mirror. There are 4 of us staying and I usually put $5 in it per day along with any written special requests.

I've been in the room during a mousekeeping visit. It's a 40-50 minute job. So a mousekeeper with seniority might possibly be earning the max of $13.50 an hour, most likely she's closer to the starting wage of $10 or $11 which is barely subsistance wages. If a cashier at Walmart spent 40 minutes ringing up my beer and frozen pizza I would probably tip that person too.

My family all (even the kiddos) work hard through the year, and we look for opportunities to help those with fewer options than us whenever we can, That doesn't stop when we are on vacation. If I'm spending $6-7k on a 10 day vacation, I would feel like a tool complaining about giving an extra 1% of that to the girl who gets the stains out of our toilet.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #79
SheriffWoodyHowdy
Earning My Ears

I've printed out some pre-made mouse keeping envelopes and plan on leaving $1 per person in our family ($3 a day).
Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #80
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We leave $5 per day. There are three of us. I've never considered not tipping housekeepers or any other service employees (cab drivers, valets, porters, hair stylists, manicurists, massage therapists, waiters, newspaper delivery people, take-out delivery people). I thought it was customary.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #81
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Since our first time on Disney is coming in Oct, I haven't tipped yet. But in previous stays at WBC, I have tipped for things like rides from one tower to the next, bag carrying, small things.

And of course, we almost always tipped the drive $1-2 each way, more if they offered extra help or were exceptionally friendly.

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #82
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I think it's social class as well. Those who come from more affluent families tend to follow the older etiquette forms, which include tipping service employees at hotels. My grandparents tipped, so my parents tipped, so I tip, and my children will learn from me.

My husband's family was more working class, and they'd never heard of tipping maids at the hotel.
That could be it.

I am always surprised that people have never heard of tipping housekeeping!?!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #83
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

We tip the housekeepers in any motel we stay in.

For WDW trips, I make up envelopes ahead of time, and put $5 in each. Each time I find myself with a $5 bill in the weeks before the trip, it goes into an envelope until I have 7.

It would never occur to me not to tip housekeeping, any more than I would leave a restaurant without tipping the waitress.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #84
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I had an issue with the housekeeper not taking the money or the envelope. The first day we left $10 in the envelope and it was still laying there when we got back to the room. It was one of those cute printable ones with Disney characters on it that said mousekeeping right on it. But she just left it there. I tried to call housekeeping to find out who cleaned our room so I could give it to her but the housekeeping supervisor said all the housekeepers were gone. Just to not worry about it and leave it out in the open the next day possibly with a note.

So from then on I got a sheet of paper and wrote THANK YOU- MOUSEKEEPING on it and folded it over with the bill sticking out and from that day on she took it every day.

If it is all 5 of us I leave $10 a day. If it is just Dh and I, I leave $5 a day.

As for tipping at hotels...I did not come from an affluent family but I had learned from someone else...read about it, saw it on TV, something like that...I don't remember how I learned to tip housekeepers, but I always have.
I tip housekeeping no matter where we are, Disney or not.

If I don't have the cash to leave a tip I hang the do not disturb sign on the door and do not even have anybody come in.

The last trip we were on back in April I kept the DND sign on all week because Dh didn't bring any 5 dollar bills and I didn't have any cash and he didn't want to try and change a bigger bill somewhere to get some 5's so I just said forget it. We just won't have housekeeping this week. And that was fine too. It didn't bother me at all. I kind of preferred not having someone in the room.

But I would never let housekeeping in and NOT TIP.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #85
cobright
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't forgo maid service if I simply didn't have the cash on hand, but I would make a personal connection with the housekeeper and let her know we value her work. Then get a tip put together as soon as possible.

As for what is and isn't a 'tipped' position ... I don't need a bellhop to spend 5 minutes carrying my luggage that I've already been managing just fine for hours. But someone spending 30-40 minutes making my room perfect while I'm away high-fiving Mickey day after day after day is worth a little extra to me.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #86
southernminnie
Earning My Ears

Tipping Mousekeeping

My DH, and 2 DS always tip. I also write a little note each day thanking them for taking care of us on our vacation away from home. We always tell them which park we are going to. I always try to write something telling them if we are celebrating something as well. I feel like we are sharing a little bit of our life with them. We love to come back to our room and find towels animals!!!! I cannot wait for our trip in September - staying at AOA
Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #87
Windsor Princesses
Mouseketeer

We tip $1 for the room plus an additional $1 for each person staying in the room; so on our trip this august with 4 people we will be tipping $5.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #88
fallen_angel727
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

We did tip this time, even though we usually don't, and frankly I don't know if we will again, we left $10 on the first day ($5 per couple) and the same on the 2nd then stopped...even with the tip the garbages weren't emptied, no new towels (we put used ones in the tub to be brought to laundry...usually we don't do this but they were dirty - mud from our feet). and we had to call down to ask for toilet paper twice during our week stay...so frankly I don't think the $20 was worth it at all

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (AKL)

Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #89
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen_angel727 View Post
We did tip this time, even though we usually don't, and frankly I don't know if we will again, we left $10 on the first day ($5 per couple) and the same on the 2nd then stopped...even with the tip the garbages weren't emptied, no new towels (we put used ones in the tub to be brought to laundry...usually we don't do this but they were dirty - mud from our feet). and we had to call down to ask for toilet paper twice during our week stay...so frankly I don't think the $20 was worth it at all
Well now I have to ask where you stayed!? I certainly wouldn't have continued to leave a tip.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #90
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

My DH and I leave $5/day and my son with a family of 5 tips $10/day. I make up envelopes before leaving home and set one out each morning. I am also surprised of not tipping - in our area, it is customary.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: