Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #61
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMomma View Post

That may just be it
I think it's social class as well. Those who come from more affluent families tend to follow the older etiquette forms, which include tipping service employees at hotels. My grandparents tipped, so my parents tipped, so I tip, and my children will learn from me.

My husband's family was more working class, and they'd never heard of tipping maids at the hotel.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #62
alisha123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMomma View Post

That may just be it
I'm happily from the south and have always tipped as long as they have done their job properly 😛😛😛😛😛 SO maybe it's just a some people do some people don't thing
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #63
aprescher
Mouseketeer

We had a group of 3 and boy were we messy! We tipped $5 a day! I had never heard of it until reading DIS but we decided to do it. We were very disappointed though because we made the cute envelopes and they were never taken! Even when we set multiple out they only took the money and no envelope!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #64
Erinmc3
Mouseketeer

We tipped a few dollars a day. We also left all of our unopened water (ordered from Garden Grocer) for our housekeeper. We told her that it was there on our way out and she kept thanking us and was EXTREMELY grateful. Even more grateful for the water than the tip...LOL!

Next Disney vacation: Hoping for Oct/Nov 2015

Family vacation at POP May 17th-25th 2013
First family vacation at POP Sept 16th-24th 2011
Off property: 2005, 1986, 1979(ish)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #65
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha123 View Post

I'm happily from the south and have always tipped as long as they have done their job properly dde1bdde1bdde1bdde1bdde1b SO maybe it's just a some people do some people don't thing
I'm from the north (Michigan) and always tip housekeepers at WDW or anywhere else. My parents both grew up on hard working farms and never stayed in hotels until after they married, but they have always tipped. Typically at places other than WDW, the housekeepers leave a thank you note if we are there more than one night.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #66
DragonMomma
Basking in the Magic since 1984

Whereas, I know tipping for this isn't necessary, and I don't feel OBLIGATED...it's generally my pleasure. At home, I confess...I don't always make my own bed. The horror, I know. So, coming back from the parks dead tired and sweaty and finding a crisply made bed is such a delight!

In fact, me and DS have a signature way we tip. It's something we've cooked up that passes along Disney Magic to the CM. I'm gonna be a snot and not disclose what we do that's unique, because as I said, it's our signature. I'm there having the time of my life, living it up, eating out every night, watching fireworks...I want to pass this along.

I understand they make a fair amount of money, and I'm not beyond withholding the tip if the room was messy or requests and standards were not met or exceeded. That'd be something else, and luckily I've never been in that position.

And I've never had a Mousekeeper stand there expectantly for a tip, unlike..bell services. Ugh. I feel better about tipping mousekeeping.

I've arrived at a resort where my towncar driver was supposed to unload my luggage, but instead let someone she seemed to know well from bell services step in and do it. Well, I knew well enough that I had to tip her. But I sure as hell wasn't going to encourage that tag teaming, because that same fellow wasn't going to be the one to shuffle my bags up to my room, where I would have to tip again. I felt scammed and when he stood there, I smiled pleasantly, thanked him and went in to check in. The nerve. / end rant.

I tip when someone brings something to my trip and doesn't expect anything in return. I'm not cheap by any standard. But I won't be pressured out of a tip that someone didn't deserve.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #67
DisneyFan83
DIS Veteran

We usually tipped $2 a day for two adults, and we kept the room pretty neat. Every so often we might have a day where we were out of cash, so the following day we would then leave a five, since it seems we generally would have the same staff during our stay. I believe we added a dollar in when my sister-in-law came with, so it was about a dollar a day per person as many others have said. Sometimes we left more on the final day, and if the maid went the extra mile in providing us with things we'd sometimes throw more in then too.

POFQ; June 2004 ● POFQ; June 2005 ● POFQ; June 2006 ● POP; June 2007 ● POP; May 2008
Disneymoon @POP; Dec. 2008 ● POP- May 2009 ● POP; May 2010 ● POP; Dec. 2011 ● POP; Oct. 2012 ● AoA; Dec. 2014

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #68
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyThomas View Post
If someone is scrubbing my toilet, they are getting a tip.
LOL! I alway stip and I thought that I left a decent amount but my DH disagreed. He was shocked that I was so "cheap" because "That little girl is cleaning our toilet. Don't be so cheap!" If he sees our housekeeper he will often give him or her an additional tip, especially since we go through so many towels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I think it's social class as well. Those who come from more affluent families tend to follow the older etiquette forms, which include tipping service employees at hotels. My grandparents tipped, so my parents tipped, so I tip, and my children will learn from me.

My husband's family was more working class, and they'd never heard of tipping maids at the hotel.
Oh, I am not sure this is a fair statement. I tip and I am as working class as you can get. My DH is a truck driver and if you tried to tell him he was any thing other than a blue collar man, he would faint. People wither think tipping is appropriate or they do not. And FWIW, I don't think either mindset is wrong. You do what is comfortable for you, but it isn't nice to suggest that social class has anything to do with it.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #69
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
LOL! I alway stip and I thought that I left a decent amount but my DH disagreed. He was shocked that I was so "cheap" because "That little girl is cleaning our toilet. Don't be so cheap!" If he sees our housekeeper he will often give him or her an additional tip, especially since we go through so many towels.

Oh, I am not sure this is a fair statement. I tip and I am as working class as you can get. My DH is a truck driver and if you tried to tell him he was any thing other than a blue collar man, he would faint. People wither think tipping is appropriate or they do not. And FWIW, I don't think either mindset is wrong. You do what is comfortable for you, but it isn't nice to suggest that social class has anything to do with it.
I agree. I am far from affluent and I always tip, as did my parents. My husband is a blue collar worker and is a big tipper.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #70
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I grew up working class (mom hairdresser, dad sheetrock worker) and my family on both sides is frugal (farmers and soldiers), as well as both my parents were later in life babies so my grandparents were depression era survivors. I come from a long line of penny pinchers, make do withouter's, and use it up till it wears out.

My parents are good tippers and taught my brother and I to be as well. I've been tipping hotel staff before this was ever a hot topic on these boards.

Bellmen's job is to move bags around we tip them, valet's job is to park a car we tip them, maids job is to clean the room we tip them.

A few dollars a day (and a good attitude and a smile to those who don't get tips) are not going to hurt me (and might even score me a few Karma points) and is going to make someone elses day a little better. I consider that a win win situation.

I don't think tipping is required, everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #71
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Quote:
Just curious if any of you have any input.
You're not required to tip the housekeepers, but you can if you would like to. Amount is up to you. That's all the input I have.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #72
DisneyFan2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecon View Post

We usually tip $1 per person per day. I also tip every day.
We do the same for two adults, so $2 per day.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #73
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

I do $3 a day sometimes more it they are real good.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #74
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

We do tip but won't do so until our check out day. We've also been very fortunate to have gotten some very nice mousekeepers in all our stays.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #75
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
We do tip but won't do so until our check out day. We've also been very fortunate to have gotten some very nice mousekeepers in all our stays.
The only issue with this is that you may not be leaving the tip for the person who has cared for your room during your stay. Your checkout day may have another mousekeeper who will get the benefit.

I always have my envelopes ready before we leave. I know how much for each day, label the day (actually, I don't do a thing, my DD makes cute envelopes for me and I just fill them) and leave one a day. WDW is no different than any other trip, tips are factored into my budget so I have them ready. I will adjust if necessary, so they are not sealed. We are not messy, and i have an issue with dirty wet towels, or sloppy beds so if I see the cart I will haul the towels out to the laundry bag, and I always straighten the beds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: