Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Joanna & Hunters Mom
I wish I could live at Disney!!

POP vs Ft Wilderness Cabins

We are traveling in September, so with the upcoming free dining announcement, I need to find the better options for us. We travel as a family of 6, dh and I our dd7 and ds5 and dhs parents. We currently have 2 rooms at Pop, but would have to upgrade to get the regular dp. Would we be better off to book FWC and not have to upgrade? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

May, 2009 Offsite~June, 2012 Pop Century
September, 2013 Pop Century~May, 2014 Caribbean Beach
Joanna & Hunters Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Joanna & Hunters Mom
I wish I could live at Disney!!

Just wondering if anyone has any assistance to offer???

May, 2009 Offsite~June, 2012 Pop Century
September, 2013 Pop Century~May, 2014 Caribbean Beach
Joanna & Hunters Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna & Hunters Mom View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any assistance to offer???
What about 2 connecting rooms at POR or POFQ? The cabins might still be a little cramped for all of you or were you planning on getting two? I personally don't think we would enjoy the internal transportation system. They will be a little more pricey than POR. We are staying at POR in November, it is supposed to be lovely!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
momofkids
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the cabins and loved it. It is a little more expensive than the other moderates.

9/8-9/14-based on 4 people with tickets, but no dining to simulate free dining
Cabins with tickets= $3180.91
1 room at POR with tickets=$2383.27

If you can live with one bathroom and the internal transportation, the cabins are your most economical option for a moderate because you would need 2 rooms otherwise. You can get exact numbers for yourself by plugging in your own information on the Disney site. Just don't add dinning and you should get close to the correct amount it would be with free dining if you add tickets.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

though all the fd was now quick service

also would look into paying extra and staying at Pop to get the ts

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

We have camped at Fort Wilderness and I have also stayed at Pop century. We have enjoyed both. My family of 6 stayed at Pop with free dining and I upgraded from QS to the reg dining. We wanted to do character meals for GS. My upgrade wasn't anymore than what I already had reserved for a couple of character meals. So I would just talk to Disney and see how much the difference was. We came out better staying at Pop and with an upgrade in 2011
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
TeddiBarra
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 and we've stayed in the cabins. I loved the campgrounds as did the whole family. My question is though- do you want to be at the campground and do things there? If not, then one of the other resorts may be more worth it so to speak. The internal buses are not like the rest of the transportation buses- there is *usually* less than a 5 minute wait and the buses aren't full at all. However, when we stayed, we did rent a golf cart, which you should consider.

However, the thing is with 4 adults and two kids- I don't think a standard golf cart would work. If you did decide to do a golf cart you probably want the extra large kind and you probably would want to do it from an offsite company.

Is a golf cart totally needed? No, especially if the vast majority of your time will be in the parks all day from morning til night. It is no longer of a walk from most of the bus stops to your cabin door than it would be from any other bus at other resorts (in fact probably closer).

Transportation isn't really very hard from the Cabins. You can take the boat to MK or the boat to Contemporary and then monorail to EPCOT. Buses to AK/DHS and Downtown Disney. It was nice having the boat option.

I loved the campgrounds and would do it again in a heart beat, but you need to just think out the logistics and make sure it is a good fit. If you are looking for space, I would *think* that the cabins would suffice but keep in mind you'll need to put the murphy bed up if you want to easily use the bigger couch. Your parents may want to take the front room and you and your kids could be back bedroom. The porch is roomy and as long as you can all deal with one bathroom you probably won't feel too cramped.

You may really enjoy the different experience. It is fun to come back from the parks at night to a homey cabins with your own "space". I think it's the *best fit* if you are looking forward to the campground itself.

Some folks questioned whether you should "do the dining plan" if you are staying in a cabin as you have a full kitchen. We had no problems, I used a lot of our snacks to keep the fridge stocked. We bought a few minimal groceries and we were able to use 2 TS for the Hoop Dee Doo revue and we always had plenty of food. Hint: you can do the pizza from the Trails to Go and that only uses 2 quick services and you get a full size pizza and two drinks and two desserts.

I haven't stayed at POP. I've researched it. Staying in Ft Wilderness to me have just lots to do everywhere but it's not "fancy" per se. It was as if they made Frontierland come to life and you got to stay in it.
Back to Disneyworld- Nov/Dec 2014 ???

Recent trips to Disneyland:
2012: July- 1st stay @ the Grand Californian! Feb @ Paradise Pier
2013: Feb Weekend trip @ DLH, APR Mom & daughters Spring trip, Holiday Inn
Coming Up: June 18 - 22 @ PP, Aug for the Expo
TeddiBarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

I don't know much about the cabins. but I think the biggest drawback would be one bathroom for 6 people! especially 4 adults and then 2 kids!! It's going to take forever for everyone to get ready to go! Even with some people showering the night before, I think you are still going to be shocked how long it takes for you guys to get out the door in the morning with just one bathroom. I would go with the two rooms at POP! It's kind of a shame that the AoA suites get the same dining plan because that would probably be a great fit but since you have to pay rack rate for the room to get free dining and then you would have to pay to upgrade from QSP to DDP, it wouldn't really be a cost effective choice. Good Luck with your choice and I hope you have a great trip!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: