Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
MagicKisses2
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you are having a great time!!! There is so much to take in, it's hard to see everything the first, second and third time you visit.

Like you said, now there are many reasons to go back!!

2015 Jan '15 TBD - Did he really sign up for the Goofy Challenge?! ASMo Oct '13 - ToT 10 miler CBR Jan '12 - Official 5th trip and second half marathon! POP Jan '10 - Wayne's first Disney Half Marathon CSR Jan '08 - winter get-a-way POFQ Dec '06 - 1st anniversary AKL Nov '05 - honeymoon
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #32
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppee View Post
Me and Fatdaddy! I think that's our food on the tray in the back...sorry! Will do better next time.
See, you didn't forget to take food pictures after all....it's right back there.

Hey, you're already rockin' some Disney earrings.

Great learnings you're having, thanks for listing them.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #33
choppee
Mouseketeer

End of a Great Week--Beginning of a New Obsession!

Thanks to all who have been reading this first trip report of mine--I have been off for a few days since it's the last day of the semester for graduate school. Duke is trying to kill me!!! But happily, all the work is done and papers are in a assessed. Got all A's this semester and I am soooo thankful.

So. On to the final submission....

This was our last day in Orlando, and we were going to take it easy. We woke up late having spent the previous evening washing clothes, lounging by the pool and generally resting. We had had four days of running! Everyone was in need of a break. When we woke up it was rather late--around 10 AM which was amazing for us. Usually our house is up and popping each day around 8 at the latest. We checked out around 12, and packed up the van. We decided to spend our afternoon at Downtown Disney for lunch, a change of pace and last minute souvenir shopping!

Our first sight as we parked was this sight here. The Disney Quest! When our kids are older (teens), this might be a nice spot for them to spend a day while hubby and I walk around doing some shopping nearby.

Or, perhaps hubby and I will watch this show while they play! Always wanted to see the Cirque du Soleil!

We meandered down the sidewalk, no real destination in mind. We were pleasantly surprised by the lack of crowds! Being in crowds for the last few days had been a bit disquieting, and the early afternoon found the downtown area still sparsely populated.

I think around this time our bellies started to remind us that it had been ignored, so we ducked into the House of Blues for a little sustenance...and yeah, I had a Restaurant.com coupon for it!

We checked to see if there was availability, and of course, there was. The restaurant was quiet and the breezy porch was quite comfortable to just sit and people watch. The kiddies were enjoying the quiet, and enjoyed the chance to chatter among themselves. Monster got a chance to play on her DSi.

Can I say wow??? Really enjoyed the character of this restaurant and the food! The kids enjoyed looking at all that there was to see. Fatdaddy loved the bottlecaps on the podium near the front.

As we ordered, the girlies did a few puzzles together...and yes, those are indeed Mickey Mouse earrings! The girls had pizza, and Fatdaddy had the nuggets. Delish! I had some shrimp po'boy, and hubby had a chicken sandwich. Really good food. We will be back!

On the way out, I ordered a key lime pie. I had realized that I was in Florida and I hadn't bothered to do that! As I re-entered, hubby took this pic of the kids at the bird bath.

As we walked around, Fatdaddy saw a shop that was very much like Build A Bear, but for toy automobiles! These remote control cars were built at stations and were absolutely cool! I wanted to get one, but we had just bought him a car for his birthday...hubby said we couldn't justify the purchase, but hey, next time? I'm buying one for myself! They were that neat!

Soon, it was time to go. Last minute bathroom breaks and snack finding, souvenir shopping and sight-seeing all done. We loaded up, gassed up, and found ourselves passing this sign all too soon.

Things I learned:
  1. Spend more time at the Downtown Disney next time! There is enough to do here to last an entire day!
  2. Go to Downtown Disney during the daylight hours. Limited crowds!
  3. Get the daggone remote control car. You'll kick yourself repeatedly if you don't!
  4. Lunch at Downtown Disney is pleasant. Try other restaurants as well!
  5. Budget for kids to have their own shopping gift cards for souvenirs! The kids love to do this for themselves. Birthday gifts!

As of that date, when we finally got back to Georgia to meet back up with family and spend some time resting and enjoying each other for another week, I decided with the hubby that we were definitely going to have to do this again! We loved our experience, warts and all, and want to do it again having more knowledge about how to plan and organize our time and fun. Although we had done the planning and did the research, and although I scoured and hunted through the trip reports on the DIS, I realize that even with all the advice, it doesn't always really take until you do it for yourself the first time. You guys were great for making the trip become something that wasn't a disaster which I can see can put some people off from coming to WDW for more than a once in a lifetime trip. This June, we will be back--and I'm excited! I know a lot more than I did before, and know better how I want to do things. I thank you guys for being such a great resource and a friendly word of helpful advice. Maybe this trip report, though short, can help someone else see the beauty of the DIS and Disney. Au Revoir!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: