Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
traderneal
Disney Guru

If you arrive in the late morning or later, why bother going at all. Saying it is Memorial Day Weekend, the park will prolly be packed. So why waste a full day ticket (of a what I am guessing will be a multi-day ticket) on a day when you won't be able to get a full day's use? (It took me my first two trips to DW, before I learned that trick, now we always get in the night before our first trip to the park)

Now of course if you are only going to the parks for two or three days your time is limited and that is a different story.
traderneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
tuckerkeys
official cookie taster

How do you all think the 25th of May will be? That's Saturday the day after the 24 hrs......

We arrive in the evening on the 24th. Although I think it would be awesome to go that night, I agree the crowds will be extreme!

Thinking about getting up VERY early on the 25th & going in between 6-7am....
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Beth521
Earning My Ears

I am so psyched that I will actually be there on my trip!

Beth521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
forever11709
Mouseketeer

I am also looking into flights! I want to be IN MK for a full 24 hours, I would be the happiest girl alive! One year I made it from RD to the 2am closing but 24 whole hours in the MK?!

Mommy Molly & Daddy (will I ever get him to go HOME with me?)

Molly's Trips -- July 2011 Beach Club October 2012 Beach Club October 2013 Yacht Club -- Will this child ever stay in a non-deluxe?!?!?!
forever11709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
I was there on Leap Day too ALTHOUGH we skipped the whole need to be there 24 hours and came in about 9:30 or so in time for the last MSEP of the evening and then started our night. We did a lot of character hunting, a few rides, ate dinner at Pecos Bills at like 2AM and never found anything to be super crowded past midnight.

The character lines were the busiest and the longest wait we had of the night was Mickey and Minnie in their pjs. I think they seriously underestimated the popularity of that and perhaps were not staffed appropriately.

We left around 5:30 AM.

March 1 was my daughter's bday and she did not have to work so the timing of this just worked out perfectly for us. She got a birthday button when we came into the park and we had a great evening.

IF I was around again at that time I might go at opening just for any special merchandise, leave and then come back later in the evening.

Like others have mentioned though this time it might be busier..it's a Friday night that kicks off the Memorial Day weekend and the summer season of fun and vacationing. They have blocked Cast Members from using their IDs to enter so that will eliminate a lot of the guests that may have attended (they can use their e-tickets or pay as guests to attend though).

It will be interesting.

Liz
DIS should have a like button.
I would do rope drop, go back to the resort around 2:30, take a nap. Come back around 7 for a late supper, stroll around till parade, watch Wishes and then kick it in. You could even postpone supper till 8 like at the Crystal Palace or a C.S. Me and my sisters did this and we had a great time from 11:00 p.m. till 3:00 a.m. We hit the wall at 3:00 and it took till 4:00 to get back to the Yacht Club. Busses were running really slow.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
2girlsmom
DIS Veteran

We are pass holders and spend Memorial weekend in Orlando (live in Tampa) every year, I haven't found the crowds to be super bad, maybe 5-7 on a scale of 1-10. We are driving up after work on Friday 5/24, checking into our hotel, and are planning right now to head to MK after that, so probably will get there @ 9-10pm. This is my dd12's birthday trip (turning 13 the following week) and she is so excited for the late hours so she can go to a park first night there. I wish I could take off work an extra couple days that weekend, we would have gone up Wednesday night and spend the 8th at the waterparks for the passholder event, then likely spent all day at MK, but we are looking forward to the overnight hours.

& Lucky
2girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

This 24 hour day at the MK will probably be more crowded than last years 24 hour leap day since it's on a holiday weekend.I don't have a whole lot of interest in doing this,at least I'm not planning a trip around it.Maybe if I lived in Orlando I would go showing up at 11pm or so.At least I can say I've been in MK until 5am for Grad Nite.Disney should have done two parks,DL gets two parks,why can't they also keep Epcot or DHS open also.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkeys View Post
How do you all think the 25th of May will be? That's Saturday the day after the 24 hrs......

We arrive in the evening on the 24th. Although I think it would be awesome to go that night, I agree the crowds will be extreme!

Thinking about getting up VERY early on the 25th & going in between 6-7am....

Saturday may not be as crowded as the 24 hour Friday, but then again it is the Saturday of a holiday weekend, so I anticipate MK will still be pretty busy for that reason but manageable if you arrive early and have a plan.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

We just swapped our Epcot and MK days 5/24-5/25 to avoid the 24-hour crowds. We thought briefly about trying to do rope drop (6am!) at MK but then thought better of it. The day before that we have to get up at 4:30am to make our flights to Disney and we will still feel like we are on Mountain Time on Friday morning. Not a good idea to try a 6am rope drop. So we are doing Epcot now on Friday and MK on Saturday.

Now I wonder what Epcot will be like on that Friday 5/24. We usually follow Josh's recommendations on his crowd calendar. Epcot is still not recommended because of evening EMH Friday night. But I wonder if this 24-hour party combined with Star Wars at HS will make Epcot OK? That is what we are hoping for anyway. Regardless we are getting there at rope drop am and have no need to do the evening EMH so I am hopeful the crowds will not be horrid at Epcot. We don't really have a choice really unless we wanted to change every other day of our trip and lose all of our in-park ADRs, etc.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=tuckerkeys;48244448

Thinking about getting up VERY early on the 25th & going in between 6-7am....[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the park will be open 5/24 at 6am until 5/25 at 6am. They will close at 6am and then re-open at 9am for regular rope drop. So I don't think getting there between 6-7am on the 25th will do you any good since it will be closed. LOL
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Talking

Since this is holiday weekend and one that many use for vacations, I believe that the park will be packed. Bring along your patience and be flexible.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
My understanding is that the park will be open 5/24 at 6am until 5/25 at 6am. They will close at 6am and then re-open at 9am for regular rope drop. So I don't think getting there between 6-7am on the 25th will do you any good since it will be closed. LOL
I was going to post the same! I think we are going to do SW @ HS on Friday morning and go until midday then head back to hotel for pool and an early bedtime. Plan to get up super early (2am) and head back to MK by 3am. Snagged a breakfast ressie at Ohanas for 7:30 so after MK closes we'll take the monorail over and eat then back to MK for RD on Saturday and go as long as DS can stand. Then pool and sleep to get back on a regular schedule for Sunday.

I figure we can do a lot between 3-6am and 9-noon. Plus breakfast at Ohanas will be new for DS.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
DIS should have a like button.
I would do rope drop, go back to the resort around 2:30, take a nap. Come back around 7 for a late supper, stroll around till parade, watch Wishes and then kick it in. You could even postpone supper till 8 like at the Crystal Palace or a C.S. Me and my sisters did this and we had a great time from 11:00 p.m. till 3:00 a.m. We hit the wall at 3:00 and it took till 4:00 to get back to the Yacht Club. Busses were running really slow.
This sounds great, but I'm concerned the park will close to capacity and we won't be able to get back in. Do we think it'll be closed to capacity most of the evening? (We're staying onsite, if that makes a difference).

ETA: Do we know if there will be an 11pm MSEP that night? I'd rather go to the later parade. Thanks!

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004

Last edited by UConnFan; 04-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan View Post
This sounds great, but I'm concerned the park will close to capacity and we won't be able to get back in. Do we think it'll be closed to capacity most of the evening? (We're staying onsite, if that makes a difference).
Honestly I do not think it will. Cast members are blocked out (without using a special ticket or paying) and that will knock out a lot of guests right there. The only other days that MK closes there is an ebb and flow of open and close throughout the day anyway. And those days are right smack in the middle of holidays that bring in far more guests that Memorial Day weekend.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
Honestly I do not think it will. Cast members are blocked out (without using a special ticket or paying) and that will knock out a lot of guests right there. The only other days that MK closes there is an ebb and flow of open and close throughout the day anyway. And those days are right smack in the middle of holidays that bring in far more guests that Memorial Day weekend.

Liz
Thanks! I think that's what we'll plan to do, then

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread