Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
traderneal
Disney Guru

My thoughts on Disney World open 24 hours...

Having "closed" Disney World several times on a normal operating day, I can think I can give some good advice as to what to expect when the park remains open for 24 hours.

On a normal operating day, historically, the population DRASTICALLY drops off after the evening parade, so much so that for the most part the remaining folks have the run of the park. In fact, about an hour or so before the parade begins, one will notice a much reduced wait at most rides as most folks, especially those with age appropriate children, start lining up to watch the parade.

Disney veterans know this is the time to finally get on those rides that have had very long wait times as now those wait times are often 10 minutes or less. (In fact for some of the "lesser" rides you can go multiple times without getting off)

After the parade is over, many folks, especially those with younger children, decide to call it a night and the park empty outs. Again, veterans know this is the opportune time to catch up on rides they have missed.

Now, again, on a normal operating night, usually an hour before closing time, DW slowly turns into a ghost town, you wonder where everyone is. In fact, it can be a bit spooky. At this point in the night, one can just walk on most rides.

I remember one time, my two kids an I caught the last showing at the Hall Of Presidents at 12:45am! It was us and three other people for a total of 6. When we emerged, the weather had become, cloudy, drizzly, and foggy. Very spooky if you ask me.

Now when the park is open 24 hours, it is going to be different. Folks will come out specifically to try and stay as late as possible. This is going to make for a totally different scenario as unfortunately, some parents are not going to care that their younger children are exhausted at 2am. This is not going to be something I want to be a part of.

My advice for those going to the park that day: get there at rope drop, try and get as much done as possible. Crowds are going to build dramatically as it gets later in the day. Probably, as in years past, especially at DisneyLand, the park will reach capacity as people will be turned away. There will be probably no noticeable drop off after the evening parade.

With the exception of seeing the characters in their pajamas, is there anything else worth staying for in an overcrowded park, with extremely tired children? My answer is no.

If you must go to DW this day, follow my advice of getting there early, and when the crowds get to unbearable, head to a probably much less crowded, Epcot, or HW Studios.

Anyway, just my 02.
traderneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

I would love to see the sunrise from the Astro Orbitor !
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
jojomoore
DIS Veteran

I would not be one to visit over parks over night. Throwing off normal sleeping habits can make for a miserable trip both for young kids and adults. I would not be willing to take the chance. It could be a good idea for attempting to spread the crowds out over a 24 hour period of time. I just would not be the one changing my plans to go overnight. I guess i much prefer to be the one that arrives at mk at 7 am for an early breakfast ADR at eight.
jojomoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
glocon
DIS Veteran

Is this for real- open for 24 hrs- or just someone's thought of "what if"?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocon View Post
Is this for real- open for 24 hrs- or just someone's thought of "what if"?
Yes, its for real. MK (and DCA and DLR) open 24 hours straight on 5/24.
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
almburr
DIS Veteran

Not that I will be there on this date. Will the restaurants be going that whole time also.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
I would love to see the sunrise from the Astro Orbitor !
Good point!
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
jenaemmaFL
I'm a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.

I was there for the Leap Day 24 hour, and it was AWESOME. It actually was not crazy crowded all night and early morning and I did not see many children (or maybe rather none, I was not really paying attention to that) during those times at all. I went for the experience of it, to be able to say "I was there!" and will be doing it again. The time of year has me knowing it most likely will be more crowded then the last time, but you go for the experience of it and every one around you is sharing that experience with you...but so agree children doing this? Not so much, nor would they want to! But this big child can't wait to do it again!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I would love to be there (and I've been checking airlines for a good price) from opening to closing! But I would never bring my children to the MK on a 24 hour day.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenaemmaFL View Post
I was there for the Leap Day 24 hour, and it was AWESOME. It actually was not crazy crowded all night and early morning and I did not see many children (or maybe rather none, I was not really paying attention to that) during those times at all. I went for the experience of it, to be able to say "I was there!" and will be doing it again. The time of year has me knowing it most likely will be more crowded then the last time, but you go for the experience of it and every one around you is sharing that experience with you...but so agree children doing this? Not so much, nor would they want to! But this big child can't wait to do it again!
I was going to ask if anyone who was there for Leap Day could comment on crowds. I can't imagine too many with young kids would do all night.

I wonder how many people actually stay the full 24 hours. I know I'd never make it.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

I was there on Leap Day too ALTHOUGH we skipped the whole need to be there 24 hours and came in about 9:30 or so in time for the last MSEP of the evening and then started our night. We did a lot of character hunting, a few rides, ate dinner at Pecos Bills at like 2AM and never found anything to be super crowded past midnight.

The character lines were the busiest and the longest wait we had of the night was Mickey and Minnie in their pjs. I think they seriously underestimated the popularity of that and perhaps were not staffed appropriately.

We left around 5:30 AM.

March 1 was my daughter's bday and she did not have to work so the timing of this just worked out perfectly for us. She got a birthday button when we came into the park and we had a great evening.

IF I was around again at that time I might go at opening just for any special merchandise, leave and then come back later in the evening.

Like others have mentioned though this time it might be busier..it's a Friday night that kicks off the Memorial Day weekend and the summer season of fun and vacationing. They have blocked Cast Members from using their IDs to enter so that will eliminate a lot of the guests that may have attended (they can use their e-tickets or pay as guests to attend though).

It will be interesting.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
I was there on Leap Day too ALTHOUGH we skipped the whole need to be there 24 hours and came in about 9:30 or so in time for the last MSEP of the evening and then started our night. We did a lot of character hunting, a few rides, ate dinner at Pecos Bills at like 2AM and never found anything to be super crowded past midnight.

The character lines were the busiest and the longest wait we had of the night was Mickey and Minnie in their pjs. I think they seriously underestimated the popularity of that and perhaps were not staffed appropriately.

We left around 5:30 AM.

March 1 was my daughter's bday and she did not have to work so the timing of this just worked out perfectly for us. She got a birthday button when we came into the park and we had a great evening.

IF I was around again at that time I might go at opening just for any special merchandise, leave and then come back later in the evening.

Like others have mentioned though this time it might be busier..it's a Friday night that kicks off the Memorial Day weekend and the summer season of fun and vacationing. They have blocked Cast Members from using their IDs to enter so that will eliminate a lot of the guests that may have attended (they can use their e-tickets or pay as guests to attend though).

It will be interesting.

Liz

This is what I am also thinking. This is taking place on the Friday night of the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Also, Star Wars Weekends is going on over at Hollywood Studios so many people may do that in the morning then hop over to MK in the evening. Before the 24 hour event was confirmed we were planning Friday 5/24 as our second MK day; but we are now planning our two MK days for earlier in the week and are instead going to do either Animal Kingdom or Legoland on Friday 5/24. I realize not everyone has that option, so I agree with the OP's advice of getting to MK very early if you want to get a lot of attractions/rides done before the crowds get very heavy.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

I would LOVE to be there. The 24th is my birthday! That would be cool... maybe they could bring back the free day at Disney for your birthday and I could 24 hours for free!!

But since we head out to Aulani on the 27th I guess I will be OK not being there on my birthday

As far as what I would love to experience out of a 24 hour day at Disney, I think the thing that would be the coolest would be to watch the sunrise from inside the park (can think of a few great places to watch), and then to walk out of the park satisfied with a great day, instead of just coming in to start the day

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
ktak08
Mouseketeer

I just wonder why they canceled the 2nd MSEP that night...I imagine the first one will be jam packed for those trying to see it.

May 2012 - Contemporary Resort CL
May 2013 - Bay Lake Tower Villa

ktak08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Any thoughts on what 5/25 might be like? We arrive that day and are planning to spend it at MK.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: