Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
jgh
Peter Pan!

Classmate asking for a month's worth of notes...?

Background...I'm the "note taker" for one of the classes at my university (for those students that have registered with disability services). I type up my notes after every class and send them over to those students that I have record. In order to get the notes, students have to attend class regularly, pay attention, etc etc.

There is one girl in my class who missed a day or two earlier in the year and I happily forwarded her the notes for those days since I already had them typed out anyway. No big deal. She just emailing me asking for the notes for the entire month of April (our final is next Wednesday, May 1). Usually when someone asks me for notes they give a reason (I was sick and have documentation, I had a family emergency, even I just slept it...) but I didn't get anything from her. She just sent me a 1 sentence email asking for the notes.

She seems like a nice girl...and maybe there's something going on where she can't make it to class, but I really don't know what to do. I can send her the notes...but then I feel like I'm just letting her get a "free ride"...if she never attended class that isn't my problem, she should have just dropped the class...she won't always have people there for her who can just send her a month's worth of work... but on the other side I don't want her to fail either. Not really entirely sure what to do. What would you do?

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
SarahWeasley
Mouseketeer

She's not one of the students with a recorded disability? So you have no obligation to her?

I'd ask her why she needs them.
SarahWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Personally, I'd ask her why she needs them, and then explain that you have been advised to send the notes only to those who meet certain criteria (the stuff you mentioned in your post).
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
jgh
Peter Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahWeasley View Post
She's not one of the students with a recorded disability? So you have no obligation to her?

I'd ask her why she needs them.
No. She isn't registered with the disability services.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Send the notes.

Is she someone registered with disability services? Maybe she doesn't know the 'correct' process.

You don't know what happened and it isn't really your judgement call to make. Maybe her notes were misplaced, maybe her laptop crashed, maybe she was sick, maybe she just blew it off and wants a free ride. My point is, you don't know and it's your "job" to take the notes and provide them when asked. I'm not sure I'd give a fellow student my medical information or a 'reason.' I need them, you have them.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
jgh
Peter Pan!

I did ask her if she had been sick. I guess I'll see if I hear back.

She did come once in the middle of April for her presentation day, other than that she's missed every other day.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Ceila
DIS Veteran

If you are hired to do this, or even are an official volunteer, I would think that there are guidelines or rules to follow, or at least someone who coordinates this program that you can ask.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
jgh
Peter Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
Send the notes.

Is she someone registered with disability services? Maybe she doesn't know the 'correct' process.

You don't know what happened and it isn't really your judgement call to make. Maybe her notes were misplaced, maybe her laptop crashed, maybe she was sick, maybe she just blew it off and wants a free ride. My point is, you don't know and it's your "job" to take the notes and provide them when asked. I'm not sure I'd give a fellow student my medical information or a 'reason.' I need them, you have them.
The reason I'm having trouble determining is because it's my "job" to send notes to those who have registered for them with disability services. I only have to provide notes to those people. People take advantage of others often, unfortunately.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
Send the notes.

Her "job" is to take notes for the disabled students, if I read the original post correctly. It is not to provide notes for students who don't come to class for no good reason.

The other option is to ask the prof if its ok. Explain that you don't want to jeopardize your "job" providing notes for disabled students, but you don't want to deny this other student the notes if she has an agreement with the professor due to some reason you don't know about.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
jgh
Peter Pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Her "job" is to take notes for the disabled students, if I read the original post correctly. It is not to provide notes for students who don't come to class for no good reason.

The other option is to ask the prof if its ok. Explain that you don't want to jeopardize your "job" providing notes for disabled students, but you don't want to deny this other student the notes if she has an agreement with the professor due to some reason you don't know about.
I probably will just send the professor an email. That seems the safest route.

The main thing I was wondering about isn't really the "guidelines" for my note taking (the only guide lines were above...for those registered, they have to come to class regularly and pay attention to get notes). The thing I'm wondering about is just the right thing to do, regardless of my "note taking" position.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I don't know that there is a right thing. It doesn't sound like you are friends with this student. You said she hasn't come to class much lately. On the surface, it looks like she is taking advantage of a service offered for the disabled. There are students who do this in classes that don't take attendance - they get the notes from someone who went every day, and they pass the class without putting in the hours. On the flip side, she could have a legit reason. But if she had a legit reason, wouldn't she have made arrangements with you sooner, or at least offered up something more than a one line email asking for notes? Maybe she doesn't realize the service you provide is only for the disabled.

If you enjoy taking the notes for others, I wouldn't risk losing that privilege for a one line email from someone you barely know who hasn't come to class for a month. Most likely, if she has been skipping class, the prof will know something is up when she passes the final without coming to class, and you are the most likely suspect since he/she knows you take copious notes at every class for your job.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
allison443
DIS Veteran

OP are you a registered student in the class yourself (taking it for credit yourself?) If so, how is this different than dealing with a request from any classmate who asks to borrow notes? (That still happens right?) She probably asked you because she knows you are conscientious, take good notes, and type them up.

So just make your decision based on that and decide if you want to give them to her (if you are a fellow student and not just in the class as part of your job). Do you want to help someone who has skipped a lot of classes or do you not?
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

Sounds like she assumed she could get notes from you and just didn't come to class. I cannot imagine any reason to not attend class for an entire month. She came for her presentation, which she knew she couldn't skip. I think she's taking advantage of you.

I wouldn't send them.
Talking to the professor sounds like a good idea. He knows her attendance record and he will also know if there's some arrangement/issue with her not attending class.

As for it being your job, as a PP said- it's your job to do for those qualified. Not for people that just don't want to show up. One of the requirements is even to attend class.

If, for instance, the girl attended regularly and something happened to her notes, I would share them. If she missed only a week, probably share. But an entire month... I don't think so.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't send them to her. I honestly wouldn't even ask her for a reason. You have the registered students and she's not one of them. You did a favor to her earlier in the year. You owe her no explanation of why you won't send the notes either.

Everyone sometimes needs to miss a day or two, and I would help out my friends in the class on those occasions. IMO, when you miss that many days, it's your responsibility to speak to the professor if there's a real issue. If there's not a real issue, it is no ones responsibility to help you pass the final.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I remember one class in college where a classmate asked for my notes before the first exam, and I happily shared. Then I noticed that he stopped taking notes in class and started skipping on a regular basis. I quit sitting by him, when he was there. When the next test came and he asked for the notes, I just said, "No."

Your situation is a bit different of course. If you are sure she's not on the disability list, then you have no reason to send them to her. I would probably ignore it. She can ask a friend for the notes. It doesn't sound like you are friends. If she hits you up on Monday, you could just say, "my job is to send notes to people who are on the disability list." Leave it at that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: