Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #61
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I think attentive service is great but I do get annoyed when I'm taking a bite of food and a server asks me if I need anything. I know they are doing there job and will tip them accordingly but would rather not be bothered once I have my food. That being said, I'm not a big fan of eating out. We plan to go to AP but not the other restaurants because I don't want to spend that kind of time eating a meal. I like the idea of meeting people but I'm just not a fan of sitting at a table for as long as people say you do. It might not be the same quality but I have no problem grabbing a slice of pizza and enjoying the rest of the ship without someone waiting on me but I have already made sure my servers will be tipped and will let them know the meals we won't be at.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #62
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink View Post
I did not call anyone stupid.

I appologizes. My mistake.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #63
JillShari
Mouseketeer

I enjoyed our servers. They interacted with the kids and made it more enjoyable for us since they were so attentive to their needs. In fact, they are definitely head and shoulders above what we usually get in a restaurant at home. So, I have no problem with it.
JillShari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #64
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Our service was ok. At times overbearing and at other times no where to be found. I also got the "we need nothing less then an excellent" speech on the last evening. My overall impression was thinking they didn't really "bond" or "care about us"(not that I minded) but they only wanted us to rate them excellent. It felt at times there was no meaning behind the kind words or tricks. They were only doing it because it was part of their jobs.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #65
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
Every meal available is also available as room service. I never found it to be too over the top to the point I would call it intrusive, but each of us has our own opinion.
Unless there has been a recent change, you can only order from the restaurant menus if you are in a suite and I can't remember if it was only when we stayed in the Roy Disney suite.

I too feel uncomfortable when I get 'the speech' from our wait staff. Because I admit this, doesn't mean I don't appreciate the service we receive or the importance of the reviews.

Last edited by valbob89; 04-29-2013 at 01:09 PM.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #66
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
I beg to differ with you. I was on a Disney Cruise last week and on the very first night we were told by the head waiter that they could arrange to send any dinner to our stateroom.

As for concierge, maybe that is the best solution to the original posters issue. You may have provided the answer they were looking for!
We have found our head waiters to always be very helpful, especially Geoff on the Wonder, but never have they offerred to deliver dinner in our stateroom. In fact they seem disappointed when we've let them know when we wouldn't be coming to the dining room and not to wait for us. Of course we have never asked, nor taken advantage of, the concierge option of having the meal brought to us either.

Unless you asked, I wonder why they mentioned to you that you could eat in your room??

Last edited by valbob89; 04-29-2013 at 01:10 PM.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #67
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

I think I had overly high expectations of the dinner service before our cruise. I was not really impressed. They brought us our food and did their job, but I can't say there was anything above and beyond. The last evening things were a little slow and I actually had to ask for a dessert menu when the server came to get my dessert order. There also appeared to be a little bit of a scuffle going on between our drink server and food server that night. I was looking into booking an October 2014 cruise on the Magic and considering a 2 bedroom suite (or dreaming. lol). I thought if we do something like that we'd probably skip the dining room service except for Animator's palate and have our meals delivered to the room.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #68
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

None of these complaints comes even close to my last Carn Dream service. I would stare at my water glass that had not been filled even the first time just hoping that I could develop mind abilities, especially after being in the hot sun and salty ocean all day... when we did get water, we were seriously overjoyed. Also, for breakfast in the MRD, literally NO one was around. So I got up and poured my own coffee: TWICE. Not that I'm a snob, but I've never heard of no water and no one at all to pour coffee twice, and all these in the fancy dining.

By the time I got to my DCL (admittedly, I hear second seating service is better, and ours was completely relaxed and not just good service, exceptional) it was like I was at a restaurant for the President or something, that's how much better the service was.

Carn didn't have a comment card, so the guys don't have to beg for a good evaluation. They sent me a survey 3 weeks later that probably didn't even know what table I was at or who my servers were. (One of them did basically SHUSH me too and That IS awful!) So I figure they can get away with miserable service because frankly my KY beer drinking buddies don't know any differently and because Carn will never know who they are anyway...

Thank goodness for my DCL for dining service. Not over exaggerating either. For us, it WAS top notch...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #69
joedfr
Earning My Ears

I enjoyed Topsiders more

I just got off the Magic last week. I was surprised at how much I loved all the food (so delicious!) as well as how much I didn't enjoy the MDR.

I found them to be too hectic for my personal preference. I also found the pacing of the service to be a bit odd, but I chalked it up to my personal taste and not the fault of the servers. It seemed like items would come at different times, some people would get menus at our table quite a bit before others, some people would be done before others would be served, and when my dad asked for tea for dessert, it arrived after we had all been served and finished our desserts. After the first 3 dinners, we had the next two at Topsiders. It seemed more relaxed and the items arrived in a more typical order. (we also had issues with the late dinner being too late for us, which was my fault - I thought it would be fine but my kids couldn't last through it).

On our next cruise, whenever that may be, we will most likely have most dinner in either Palo or Topsiders, or the quick service pool deck options.

I realize this is just my opinion and most likely does not match most other people's opinions, but I thought I'd share it just the same.
joedfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #70
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Wow, I can't believe the number of people who don't enjoy what I think is the best part of cruising. Our family has fun wherever we are and don't let little thing get to us. Life is too short to not take things is stride. It's all good.....even the screw ups and mistakes and accidents....it's life.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #71
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

I was concerned about lengthy meals in the MDR's. We had early seating. The service was fast. Total time in the MDR's was an hour and a half maximum. I was ready with my speedy speech, but it wasn't needed. It worked out fine with all the courses and conversation. Only once the kids left early for an activity. I read all the mixed reviews of the food prior and we were pleasantly surprised with the food. Ours servers were in the middle I would say regarding overbearing and inattentive. It was perfect for our style of dining. They were very busy.

We were happy and wouldn't have changed anything, well it can get noisy and dark. Might bring a flashlight next time so I can see/inspect the food.

Cabanas dinner one night was where the waiter was in our face too much.

Fantasy fwiw.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #72
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

We've had nothing but great service. I would rather have them stop by than ignore us. We love building that "relatiionship" with the CM's. You miss out on a lot if you aren't open to chatting with them. As far as the questionnaire, they know we are repeat guests so that isn't an issue for us. Come to thinking about it, we've never had an unpleasant situation with those either.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #73
anna08
DIS Veteran

This may be a little off topic, but am I the only one who is grossed out by the staff cutting up food for my children and this past cruise they tried to do it for ME!

As a health professional, I think a great way for disease to be spread around a ship quickly is to have the servers touching everyone's silverware. I guess someone has to touch it when they set the table, but please, once the food is on the table - HANDS off.

Every now and then I become a curmudgeon again...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #74
TheTexasGal
Mouseketeer

On our first 7 day cruise we brought clothes to go to dinner including formal wear, but after going the first night we decided against main dining. Our reasons likely make no sense to others but we just like simple food and we like the quietness of deck 9 at that time. Evenings in the pool were better for our family!

Sp, we just didn't go after the first night. We received several calls from the dining room asking us if there was a problem. I wrote a note assuring them it was nothing they did and that our tips would remain for servers but we weren't coming back. I made it clear it was nobody's fault.

My question is this - if we know we aren't going to eat in the main dining rooms this year, should we let someone know up front when we arrive? I read somewhere here that they don't take that news too well but I'd hate for them to wait for us when we know we aren't going.
TheTexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #75
PPink
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone from the OP. This threat became very interesting to say at least. Thanks for all the tips. We will make sure to voice our preferences better next time around or eat in the room Before we went to our first cruise I have read all the reviews about how great the dining experience is so I had high expectations. Food was good and MDR was really nice. I guess the need to bond with the servers is not our thing and not at all the reason for us to cruise. While we do not mind talking to people the interaction with the servers we experienced was uncomfortable. Other people enjoy it, for us it was getting in the middle of our family time. I too find it interesting that one of the questions on the evaluation is if you were pressured to give excellent. It looks like there are more people who find it distasteful. I personally did not feel pressured to give excellent mark I was more annoyed by the long monologs which our service gave us. On a “lighter” note: I was wondering if there was anybody else who feels this way about the service, it is really funny how some people who have different opinion cannot hold themselves from making some unkind comments…what else is new? Anyway I do occasionally eat McDonald’s just like most of other people who live in US. Mocha Frappe taste much better in McDonald’s than in more “upscale” Starbucks
PPink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: