Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom
A lot of cruisers get very attached to their serving team. We're not that way so I can understand your point. The one thing I found extremely annoying was the push for excellent on the evaluations particularly since I didn't find anything about the service OR food excellent. It was very uncomfortable and annoying to have to sit through that speech. I have read here that people address that upfront with the servers telling them not to give them the speech. I would love to be able to do that but not sure I can.

As far as the other part of your complaint - I think we may have had the opposite experience. The 3 of us were alone at our table and had a tough time getting the servers' attention since they always seemed to be over at their larger tables. I had heard so much about the dining experience that I really wanted to eat in the dining room each night. Now because of our experience I am considering other options for our upcoming cruise. Maybe just the formal dinner and AP in the main dining room. Will see how it works out.
Thanks.
PPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic
If you really don't want to be bothered, I guess you could order room service.
Sure. I also could save several $$% and stay home.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom
A lot of cruisers get very attached to their serving team. We're not that way so I can understand your point. The one thing I found extremely annoying was the push for excellent on the evaluations particularly since I didn't find anything about the service OR food excellent. It was very uncomfortable and annoying to have to sit through that speech. I have read here that people address that upfront with the servers telling them not to give them the speech. I would love to be able to do that but not sure I can.

As far as the other part of your complaint - I think we may have had the opposite experience. The 3 of us were alone at our table and had a tough time getting the servers' attention since they always seemed to be over at their larger tables. I had heard so much about the dining experience that I really wanted to eat in the dining room each night. Now because of our experience I am considering other options for our upcoming cruise. Maybe just the formal dinner and AP in the main dining room. Will see how it works out.
Maybe our servers were not too busy then
Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #34
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I would simple and politely say thank, we are all set to enjoy our meal!

maybe add...........if we need anything we will let you know!
I think this is the way or MikeAndNick's advice to let the head server know how you prefer to be served.

No big deal as these two have said, I am sure Disney severs will accommodate your preferences

Enjoy your Fantasy Cruise

sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #35
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I like the suggestion to speak with the head server on your first night. I don't think it's unreasonable to tell him what you prefer. Just say that you appreciate a great service team but would rather not have too much chit chat and antics so that your family can focus on each other.

Personally I would love the attention with our family. But I can see how it would not be for everyone. I think there is nothing wrong with talking to the head waiter or even the servers directly.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #36
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
I am so sorry DCL has an essentially dysfunctional employee performance system (guest ratings) that demand an excellent rating and treat anything else as failure.
DCL is not the only cruise line that has this system. On my last cruise (not on DCL), I wrote on the end-of-cruise survey that because the cruise line didn't really want my honest opinion, I wouldn't be wasting my time on vacation to fill out a survey.

I won't be filling one out on future cruises, either. If passengers refused to be part of the evaluation process, cruise lines would have to do that work. And that's what it is--work.

Cruise Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink View Post
..........We enjoyed the food but I found the service to be little bit annoying. Food person coming by to talk to us, drink person coming by to talk to us, the girl who oversees the tables coming by to talk to us...really...can I eat my food and talk to my family?..........Does anyone feels the same way? What do you suggest that we tell to our service staff on our next cruise so we do not come across as mean but also put our point across so we too can enjoy the dinner time?
We LOVE talking with the staff and servers, we have the rest of the cruise to talk shop. They have been fantastic with our son and his friend, doing puzzle games and brain teasers, telling them jokes. They loved it. We got to learn a little about them and where they are from. We always strike up a conversation with them whenever time permits.

When it came to the end of the cruise survey; they made comment on them and the importance of a high mark but did not press the matter. I do have to agree with you; it would be annoying if they made mention on everything they did to make it an extra special cruise. The comments on the survey should tell them everything they need to know on how you liked them. IF you did make comments on the card.

We have NEVER had to make a negative comment on anything when it comes to the Cast Members. And we ALWAYS MADE SURE to add a shout out for service above and beyond what you expect from them. And there have been many.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #38
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My family went for our first cruise year and a half ago. We did 3 day Dream and planning our next cruise on Fantasy. We loved the cruise and the new experience. We enjoyed the food but I found the service to be little bit annoying. Food person coming by to talk to us, drink person coming by to talk to us, the girl who oversees the tables coming by to talk to us...really...can I eat my food and talk to my family? Also at the last day dinner...they were all coming by to tell us to give them excellent grades on evaluations and took a long time talking ... all I was thinking was OK...go away...I will give you a tip just let us eat our food...thank you for giving Mickey sprinkles for my kids' ice creams but you do not have to spend 5 minutes at our table telling us how you did it all by yourself....Does anyone feels the same way? What do you suggest that we tell to our service staff on our next cruise so we do not come across as mean but also put our point across so we too can enjoy the dinner time?
Hi PPink. I am really surprised at your bad dinning experience. I have never had the same experience you have and I travel and dine alone. Granted I did chat with my servers but they always seemed to be busy with other guest to spend any long periods of time with me. I have never had any of my servers asks me to give them excellent grades. They did however asks if there is anything I could just asks and I did. Hopefully this was only a one time experience for you.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #39
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Okey...you can be only proactive so much if you are on your first 3day cruise. I am been proactive now by asking question to those who might have the same experience.
I was proactive. Did not help.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
Not sure but the "wow" meant, but I was serious. Every meal available is also available as room service. The compensation for these servers is tied to these surveys I completely understand them wanting guests to understand how important the surveys are. As for other visits to the table, I appreciate the information about the menu, recommendations, etc... I never found it to be too over the top to the point I would call it intrusive, but each of us has our own opinion.
I totally agree with you. This thread has me totally scratching my head. Is this not why you go out to dinner or on a cruise to get some service(and on Disney some fantastic service). Has the OP ever gone out to anywhere but McDonalds?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #41
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Just reading through these responses the problem is easy to see: everyone has a different definition of "good service." I think the key is for the wait staff to recognize this and tailor the dining experience to the particular guests. That is the mark of a great waiter IMO. The problem is that I think that's pretty rare. For the most part I'm in the OP camp in that I prefer for the waiters to be attentive but not intrusive. Our last cruise, the waiters were overly friendly, and it was really uncomfortable at times.

I just completed my sixth Disney cruise--the last four of those in the past year--and I have noticed an increase in the "excellence" speech, so I wonder if the pressure is amping up. I find the whole mention of it in bad taste, but I don't blame the servers for it. As a PP noted, they are obviously caught up in a system, which forces them to raise the subject or they will be dinged for anything less than "excellent." The timing is interesting though. I would much prefer a simple speech at the beginning of the cruise: "my goal is to provide excellent service and food--if you find anything not to your liking please alert me to it immediately." Done, and IMO in much better taste. I suspect that they worry that could lead to a ton of extra work, and they go for the pity angle at the end.

The more I think about it, and the more cruises I take, the more it smacks of self-servingness on Disney's part. The way the comment cards are set up are to prevent you from evaluating specific parts of the meal separately. It seems to me that Disney is trying to pad it's customer service ratings--i.e, 90% of our guests give our food a rating of "excellent." Like the PP, I've stopped filling them out. When they ask me as I'm leaving, I tell them why.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

^^^^ What she said.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #43
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Too bad I can't recall our servers names. You could ask for them. They didn't chat, of course they also didn't serve. I spoke to the head waiter, he shrugged. Then he shows up the last night with his hand out. LOL

I tipped Clueless and his sidekick because I felt bad for them. They were just stupid and slow. Head waiter who did nothing to help them got what he deserved.

Clueless and stupid are very insulting and derisive terms and speaks volumes....but maybe not like you think. Sound like to shorted the servers and completely stiffed the head waiter and are trying to assuage your guilt?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
grantclaire
Mouseketeer

We just completed our fifth cruise with DCL this last March, we have never been asked for an excellant rating, all our servers have been great so maybe they do not have to ask. We enjoy talking too all the staff. On our last cruise the asst server made a few mistakes, no big deal. She was so nice that on the last night of the cruise all 4 kids(from 2 families) age9to 13 gave her a goodbye hug. I thought she might cry. You cannot fake nice.
March 2003 - offsite [COLOR="navy"]March 2004[/COLOR] - offsite March 2006 - offsite March 2007 - offsite March 2008 - 4 night Wonder March 2009 - offsite Xmas 2009 - 4 night Wonder March 2010 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge January 2010 - offsite [/FONT] March 2011 - 4 night Dream January 2012 - Beach Club July 2012 - 5 Night Magic
March 2013 4 Night Dream cruise[B]August 2013 [/B]Vistana Villages December 2013 Clearwater Marriott/Vistana Villages Orlando- March 2014 Vistana Villages
grantclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #45
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMouseketeers

We LOVE talking with the staff and servers, we have the rest of the cruise to talk shop. They have been fantastic with our son and his friend, doing puzzle games and brain teasers, telling them jokes. They loved it. We got to learn a little about them and where they are from. We always strike up a conversation with them whenever time permits.

When it came to the end of the cruise survey; they made comment on them and the importance of a high mark but did not press the matter. I do have to agree with you; it would be annoying if they made mention on everything they did to make it an extra special cruise. The comments on the survey should tell them everything they need to know on how you liked them. IF you did make comments on the card.

We have NEVER had to make a negative comment on anything when it comes to the Cast Members. And we ALWAYS MADE SURE to add a shout out for service above and beyond what you expect from them. And there have been many.
This was our experience too..we enjoyed the games and puzzles and that's why he posed a few new ones each night. Other lines made me feel like they were just their to facilitate our luxury vacation and wouldnt talk to us which makes me feel awkward or even a little guilty. I would always try to smile and make eye contact with them to let them know that they weren't just part of the table setting or something..

We met the most interesting people from all over, one CM who was vacuuming at 1:30am and talked to him for about a half hr and gave him hugs later. I love people everywhere, not just only my family. But beside that, our every dining request was met and then some. When Dad told the head waiter that he didn't care for the AP pineapple desert, the next day they brought a huge platter of choc covered strawberries "from the pastry chef who sends his apologies." My husband asked on night three about apple pie, in leas than 5 min, the head waiter brouhht him one. So not only did we enjoy them as people, we genuinely appreciated the service.

On the last night, he did take two min to say if we had any probs anywhere upstairs for instance, not to let that reflect on their dinner service and that they needed an excellent. We did comment that the question about being pressured to say it was excellent was kind of interesting because they did ask for it. I guess they had genuinely worked hard and hoped that we would not blow it off I guess. I took like the interviewee who asks for the job sometimes gets it because they came out and asked for the job kinda thing. To me, my superior dining experience while not perfect (didn't have to be) was so much tremendously better than the other cruise 5 weeks before, it was a very great part of our cruise!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: