Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
Not sure but the "wow" meant, but I was serious. Every meal available is also available as room service. The compensation for these servers is tied to these surveys I completely understand them wanting guests to understand how important the surveys are. As for other visits to the table, I appreciate the information about the menu, recommendations, etc... I never found it to be too over the top to the point I would call it intrusive, but each of us has our own opinion.
Only if you are Concierge. We love the interaction with our Server and Assistant Server - love to hear about where they come from and their experiences.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
Every meal available is also available as room service.
Since when??? This is true for concierge but not for every guest. I can't imagine the work if every cabin was able to have their MDR meal delivered to their cabin!!!

There are other dining options available but the service level should be adjusted to meet the guests needs not the guest adjust to the server. My suggestion is that you meet with your head server right away. This is the person in charge of your dining team. (You can even stop by the dining changes area the afternoon of embarkation to talk with them since the first night is very hectic.) Let them know what you want from your dining team and they will give the instruction to the team. That way you can get what you want and not feel like you are causing any hurt feelings with the staff that is just trying to be friendly. I would still expect that the servers would provide good service, just not overly engage you and head server will be around to check that things are operating to your satisfaction. When the head server does their quick check, take the opportunity to adjust anything that needs to be adjusted. My history is that the head servers will only be by for a quick check in unless you engage them in a conversation.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
tajz90
Mama D

We don't love the conversations. We certainly know by now what we want to eat and don't care for the suggestions before very meal.

We do not get overly attached to our servers. We are polite. We are VERY thankful that take such good care of us, but we don't love them and want to be life long friends.

In the end, we know that we've been taken care of especially well and we are happy and thankful, but what stands out most to us is when we've been treated less than stellar. Out of 8 cruises with DCL cruises, there have been two servers who stand out. One who would say "I'll get it later" no matter what we asked for. We are still waiting on the jelly for our toast. . And our last cruise, Christmas week on the Fantasy, the woman would sshh us to ramble about the food and not one person could understand her. I'd have much preferred an excuse me or some other attention getter, but to be sshh'd is too much for me.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

We have always enjoyed the service from and interaction with our serving teams on DCL. We have also cruised RCL and has found their servers to be basically focused on taking orders and putting food in front of us, much less personable. We definitely prefer the Disney approach and have fond memories of the cast members who served us.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
hudson3709
"It started with a mouse"

I think the best suggestion made was to mention it to the head server on the first night. He is there to oversee your wait staff, and then you don't have the interaction with the serving team that could feel awkward if you told them directly not to talk to much.
hudson3709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

Good advice from Clten
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I have always gotten everything I have asked for in the dinning room. I do not know why not having conversation with the wait staff would be any different. Just talk to the maitre d' and explain how you want to be served. I would be shocked if they did not accommodate you. If you do not ask you will not get.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
I have always gotten everything I have asked for in the dinning room. I do not know why not having conversation with the wait staff would be any different. Just talk to the maitre d' and explain how you want to be served. I would be shocked if they did not accommodate you. If you do not ask you will not get.

So true. Always amazes me that people would rather complain after the fact than to be proactive and upfront.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink View Post
My family went for our first cruise year and a half ago. We did 3 day Dream and planning our next cruise on Fantasy. We loved the cruise and the new experience. We enjoyed the food but I found the service to be little bit annoying. Food person coming by to talk to us, drink person coming by to talk to us, the girl who oversees the tables coming by to talk to us...really...can I eat my food and talk to my family? Also at the last day dinner...they were all coming by to tell us to give them excellent grades on evaluations and took a long time talking ... all I was thinking was OK...go away...I will give you a tip just let us eat our food...thank you for giving Mickey sprinkles for my kids' ice creams but you do not have to spend 5 minutes at our table telling us how you did it all by yourself....Does anyone feels the same way? What do you suggest that we tell to our service staff on our next cruise so we do not come across as mean but also put our point across so we too can enjoy the dinner time?
Too bad I can't recall our servers names. You could ask for them. They didn't chat, of course they also didn't serve. I spoke to the head waiter, he shrugged. Then he shows up the last night with his hand out. LOL

I tipped Clueless and his sidekick because I felt bad for them. They were just stupid and slow. Head waiter who did nothing to help them got what he deserved.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Dining on a cruise ship is NOT going to a restaurant. Be prepared for an interaction with real people, who for the most part genuinely care about you, have a great story to tell, and provide service far beyond the attentiveness (or lack thereof!) you'll find in your hometown restaurant.

I am so sorry DCL has an essentially dysfunctional employee performance system (guest ratings) that demand an excellent rating and treat anything else as failure. It manifests itself in the waitstaff needing to make you aware of that failing. Forgive them if you're offended, pity them for being at the mercy of such a stupid system, and relish the evening dining experience you'll find nowhere else.

Want to eat alone? Try room service or quick service (seriously).
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits
Dining on a cruise ship is NOT going to a restaurant. Be prepared for an interaction with real people, who for the most part genuinely care about you, have a great story to tell, and provide service far beyond the attentiveness (or lack thereof!) you'll find in your hometown restaurant.

I am so sorry DCL has an essentially dysfunctional employee performance system (guest ratings) that demand an excellent rating and treat anything else as failure. It manifests itself in the waitstaff needing to make you aware of that failing. Forgive them if you're offended, pity them for being at the mercy of such a stupid system, and relish the evening dining experience you'll find nowhere else.

Want to eat alone? Try room service or quick service (seriously).
I know that they work hard for their money that is why I asked how other people approach their servers if they are taking their service too far and in the same time been co considered...no need to send me to quick service.
PPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecountycommuter

too bad i can't recall our servers names. You could ask for them. They didn't chat, of course they also didn't serve. I spoke to the head waiter, he shrugged. Then he shows up the last night with his hand out. Lol

i tipped clueless and his sidekick because i felt bad for them. They were just stupid and slow. Head waiter who did nothing to help them got what he deserved.
:d
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink

:d
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio

So true. Always amazes me that people would rather complain after the fact than to be proactive and upfront.
Okey...you can be only proactive so much if you are on your first 3day cruise. I am been proactive now by asking question to those who might have the same experience.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
PPink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDisney
I was on the Dream in 2011, and was never pushed or bothered. Our servers would drop by once in a while to check on us. We enjoyed both the service and the private time as we requested to sit by ourselves.

I am not sure if things have changed. I look forward to finding that out in August on the Magic! I think if you focus on eating your meal and try not to engage in longer conversation, they will get the cues and leave you alone.

Have fun planning!
Thanks - have fun on Magic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: