Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
PPink
Earning My Ears

Many cruisers love disney dinner service...is there anyone who thinks otherwise?

My family went for our first cruise year and a half ago. We did 3 day Dream and planning our next cruise on Fantasy. We loved the cruise and the new experience. We enjoyed the food but I found the service to be little bit annoying. Food person coming by to talk to us, drink person coming by to talk to us, the girl who oversees the tables coming by to talk to us...really...can I eat my food and talk to my family? Also at the last day dinner...they were all coming by to tell us to give them excellent grades on evaluations and took a long time talking ... all I was thinking was OK...go away...I will give you a tip just let us eat our food...thank you for giving Mickey sprinkles for my kids' ice creams but you do not have to spend 5 minutes at our table telling us how you did it all by yourself....Does anyone feels the same way? What do you suggest that we tell to our service staff on our next cruise so we do not come across as mean but also put our point across so we too can enjoy the dinner time?
PPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink View Post
My family went for our first cruise year and a half ago. We did 3 day Dream and planning our next cruise on Fantasy. We loved the cruise and the new experience. We enjoyed the food but I found the service to be little bit annoying. Food person coming by to talk to us, drink person coming by to talk to us, the girl who oversees the tables coming by to talk to us...really...can I eat my food and talk to my family? Also at the last day dinner...they were all coming by to tell us to give them excellent grades on evaluations and took a long time talking ... all I was thinking was OK...go away...I will give you a tip just let us eat our food...thank you for giving Mickey sprinkles for my kids' ice creams but you do not have to spend 5 minutes at our table telling us how you did it all by yourself....Does anyone feels the same way? What do you suggest that we tell to our service staff on our next cruise so we do not come across as mean but also put our point across so we too can enjoy the dinner time?

We welcome the talks we've had with our wait staff. If you found it too much then you should have politely said, "we value our private family time and you are cutting into it." If you say that with a big smile, they would understand.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

If you really don't want to be bothered, I guess you could order room service.
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

A lot of cruisers get very attached to their serving team. We're not that way so I can understand your point. The one thing I found extremely annoying was the push for excellent on the evaluations particularly since I didn't find anything about the service OR food excellent. It was very uncomfortable and annoying to have to sit through that speech. I have read here that people address that upfront with the servers telling them not to give them the speech. I would love to be able to do that but not sure I can.

As far as the other part of your complaint - I think we may have had the opposite experience. The 3 of us were alone at our table and had a tough time getting the servers' attention since they always seemed to be over at their larger tables. I had heard so much about the dining experience that I really wanted to eat in the dining room each night. Now because of our experience I am considering other options for our upcoming cruise. Maybe just the formal dinner and AP in the main dining room. Will see how it works out.
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
If you really don't want to be bothered, I guess you could order room service.
Wow.
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post
A lot of cruisers get very attached to their serving team. We're not that way so I can understand your point. The one thing I found extremely annoying was the push for excellent on the evaluations particularly since I didn't find anything about the service OR food excellent. It was very uncomfortable and annoying to have to sit through that speech. I have read here that people address that upfront with the servers telling them not to give them the speech. I would love to be able to do that but not sure I can.

As far as the other part of your complaint - I think we may have had the opposite experience. The 3 of us were alone at our table and had a tough time getting the servers' attention since they always seemed to be over at their larger tables. I had heard so much about the dining experience that I really wanted to eat in the dining room each night. Now because of our experience I am considering other options for our upcoming cruise. Maybe just the formal dinner and AP in the main dining room. Will see how it works out.

I'm pretty sure there is a question in the survey now that asks if you felt pressured to give high marks.

Jus smile and them they will get the score they deserve.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Are the high marks attached to merit increases or choice of ships/dining rooms?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I guess one extreme would be to order room service.......not the best by far.

I would simple and politely say thank, we are all set to enjoy our meal!

maybe add...........if we need anything we will let you know!

You have to remember that this is part of the special DCL service and most people love the style and interplay with the servers.

I guess it called.*different strokes for different folks*.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Wow.
Not sure but the "wow" meant, but I was serious. Every meal available is also available as room service. The compensation for these servers is tied to these surveys I completely understand them wanting guests to understand how important the surveys are. As for other visits to the table, I appreciate the information about the menu, recommendations, etc... I never found it to be too over the top to the point I would call it intrusive, but each of us has our own opinion.
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure but the "wow" meant, but I was serious. Every meal available is also available as room service. The compensation for these servers is tied to these surveys I completely understand them wanting guests to understand how important the surveys are. As for other visits to the table, I appreciate the information about the menu, recommendations, etc... I never found it to be too over the top to the point I would call it intrusive, but each of us has our own opinion.
No one should be forced to have their meals in their room because of over-enthusiastic (for a nicer term) servers. It was obviously important for the OP to have that nice time with her family - talking and enjoying each other in a nice setting - not sitting on their bed eating dinner.

Everyone who has ever been on a Disney cruise very well KNOWS how important those surveys are because we've all gotten the speech. I personally really don't need to be told how to fill one out and find it a huge turnoff. I bet the majority of people even lie on the survey and say they haven't been pressured about giving an excellent. Funny, but I've never gotten that speech on any other cruise line.

------

Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

I was on the Dream in 2011, and was never pushed or bothered. Our servers would drop by once in a while to check on us. We enjoyed both the service and the private time as we requested to sit by ourselves.

I am not sure if things have changed. I look forward to finding that out in August on the Magic! I think if you focus on eating your meal and try not to engage in longer conversation, they will get the cues and leave you alone.

Have fun planning!

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Quote:

No one should be forced to have their meals in their room because of over-enthusiastic (for a nicer term) servers. It was obviously important for the OP to have that nice time with her family - talking and enjoying each other in a nice setting - not sitting on their bed eating dinner.

Everyone who has ever been on a Disney cruise very well KNOWS how important those surveys are because we've all gotten the speech. I personally really don't need to be told how to fill one out and find it a huge turnoff. I bet the majority of people even lie on the survey and say they haven't been pressured about giving an excellent. Funny, but I've never gotten that speech on any other cruise line.
Please relax. I only offered it as an option. Of course no one would force someone to eat in their room. Many times people seem to take these boards way too seriously. All the original poster needs to do is make their request to the head server on the first night and that will be that.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I totally agree with this! The OP paid for nice meals for their family in a nice setting just like everyone else, and overbearing service does not have to be accepted. Eating room service in your cabin is not like eating room service in a fancy hotel. There's no little table, no chairs, no coffee refills, etc. To suggest that they stay away from the dining room as a solution to unwanted attention from the servers is a rather extreme (and unrealistic) suggestion.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you mean you can eat at about dinner time in your room, yes, you can. If you mean you can eat the same food in your cabin, no you can't. You can't order off the MDR menus to be delivered to a cabin. Who wants to eat pizza and steak sandwiches for dinner every night when they paid for soup, salad, and steak?

I think it is no different than any restaurant. Some restaurant servers are just a little too involved, others can't be bothered to come by your table with extra napkins. On DCL, most are of the 'extra friendly' variety. Most people enjoy it, but there are some who don't like it, don't want to share a table, don't want to talk about their day with the staff or others.

I think the best way to handle it is as someone said above - be polite and firm and say "Thank you, we have everything we need." If it continues, talk to the head waiter and just say you'd like a little more privacy.

You do have to be somewhat social to eat in the MDR. There aren't private rooms, there aren't private waiters. They hire people to please the most cruisers, and those tend to be the chatty, bubbly servers.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

We took our first cruise in March and don't even remember our servers asking us to make sure we fill out the survey form. I did fill out a questionnaire that I dropped off at the end of the cruise. We enjoyed our servers and felt they were very helpful and made sure we were always taken care of but not annoying or over bearing. Maybe it just depends on the servers you get. I would also like to say that we had a wonderful lady who cleaned our cabin. She was great and we always came back to towel animals and a clean well stocked room. We are planning our next cruise in September and will be on the Dream again. Our family is going to eat at Cabanas our last night this time just because we thought the menu looked good and we will have already eaten at all the other dining areas already. I am thinking that you could cut them off by letting your server know that you will be sure to fill out the survey and thank them politely for letting you know about it.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: