Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
Um.....I live in Schenectady so no.

I do enjoy the museums and stuff in Albany though.
Schenectady does boast some interesting architecture and historical sites, if I'm not mistaken. In addition, it's the city in New York state with the most fun name to say, though Poughkeepsie might not agree with that.

I agree with you that the Capitol District has a lot to offer.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL1018
I live in a close suburb of NYC.
It is extremely rare for me to play tourist in NYC. I go in for Broadway shows, but it is in, see the show, drive back home. I don't linger too much.

Every so often we'll take the kids in and walk around, but meh-It's okay, I have fun but it's not my favorite place to be.

I do want to go to the Tenement Museum, so some time in the next few months we'll go do that.

I'm glad it's right there, in case i want to visit, but I don't feel the need to go in often.
Funny how that works. I'm from Long Island, and when I was growing up my parents frequently took us into the city to play tourist. And I did the same with my kids. My younger daughter fell in love with the city and chose to go to college there.

Also play tourist here on the island sometimes.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
Schenectady does boast some interesting architecture and historical sites, if I'm not mistaken. In addition, it's the city in New York state with the most fun name to say, though Poughkeepsie might not agree with that.

I agree with you that the Capitol District has a lot to offer.
You're right it does. The Stockade is really neat area. I actually really like it here! But it does Schenectady does get a bad rap.

It took me a while to be able spell it that's for sure!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I go to Universal Studios about once a year. I LOVE the tram ride that takes you backstage. My husband, on the other hand, tries to hide in case he sees someone we know. (We both work at another studio.)

I keep meaning to take the Warner Brothers tour but just can't get time off during the week. I set up my sister for the Paramount VIP tour once, I should have gone with her. I didn't know my friend set her up as a VIP VIP, meaning, she got all of the bells and whistles and some extra locations.

I am STILL trying to get tickets for the Ellen show.

I do The Price is Right at least once or twice a year; never yet have been picked. Drew Carey is very entertaining regardless.

My husband LOVES going to Venice Beach as he used to live there. I can't stand that place with all of the posers and losers trying tragically to be weird. You can't BECOME weird, you either are or you are not. I just hate when people get in my face and that happens a lot there. But again, the husband loves it there so I make the best of it and try to have some fun. The food is good at the Sidewalk Cafe, at least. I just avoid the balloon clown at all costs.

We are beach people so we do that as often as we can. I haven't been to the Santa Monica pier in a while, though. As I get older, I find that I am migrating North. In my youth, Torrance and Redondo were the ONLY place to go. Then in my 20's, I preferred the Men of Manhattan. I lived in Marina del Rey for 10 years, and did the whole MDR-Santa Monica bike path. Now that I am in my 40's, I prefer the calm of Malibu.

We also try to get to Balboa Island once a year and stay for a few days in a hotel on that side of Los Angeles.

So, yes, I am a tourist in my own town. Oh, I forgot all about Disneyland.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
h518may
Mouseketeer

Well I've been to the Derby museum and the Louisville sluger museum those are the big ones here.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I'm 10 minutes from the Smokies so yes, I play tourist kinda often. I'm trying to do more of it this year though as I am appreciating these mountains and the beauty and all there is to do here more and more. People travel for hours to come here and visit and I'm minutes away.
As a kid, my parents played tourist when we moved here (cause we were kinda tourists, lol) but those times were a lot of fun. We owned a motel so we could give guests a lot of info about the area.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

Yes we do that's one of the plus sides of being in the military. We're only there for four years so you have to play tourist. So far the best spot has been DC.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17
lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you ever decide to spend some time seeing sites or attractions that your city or town is noted for, but usually visited by tourists from out of town?

We live in Buffalo, NY and recently took a guided tour of our City Hall, which is considered one of the greatest, architecturally, in the country. Also, the other day we spent time in a neighborhood called Elmwood Village (one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country) as we often do, but this time we took the camera with us and took some pics of the architecture and of some streetscapes.

Of course Niagara Falls is only a 20 minute drive away, but we seem to only go there when showing it to out of town visitors.

How about you? Do you ever appreciate what your town has to offer, instead of taking it for granted like so many of us tend to do?
We live just outside of Buffalo in a northern suburb and often during the summer I will take a day during the week off and my daughter and I will go exploring. Elmwood village is a favorite spot of ours, but we also do things that neither of us has done in many years (many more for me). Like the Science Museum, or the Zoo.

I work virtually on the water so I take advantage of the waterfront in the summer. This summer we plan to do the art galleries and Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin Martin Complex.

I guess you could say we're "Talking Proud"!!
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream

usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Do you ever decide to spend some time seeing sites or attractions that your city or town is noted for, but usually visited by tourists from out of town?
DH and I are Maryland natives. When we got married, we had VERY little money, and we were asked to be in my maid-of-honor's wedding in Texas two months later. So our honeymoon was technically in Texas, but we took four days after the Memorial Day Monday to visit all the free Washington DC tourist attractions that we had never visited, in spite of living within ten miles of them.

We've also lived in nine different overseas countries, and we made every effort to experience the culture of these countries. We knew a young military family in Madrid who were PROUD of the fact that they had not left the base (Torrejon was a US AF base back then) in the three years of their assignment to SPAIN! How do you live in Spain for three years and not see Barcelona, Seville, the Costa Brava or even downtown Madrid?!? We even offered to take them to local sites, but they weren't interested. How sad.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I do occasionally. Just a week or so ago I toured the historic park in downtown Dallas. I had no idea that there so many interesting old businesses and homes there.

A few years we went with some out of town friends to the Sixth Floor Museum. We really should have done that many years earlier.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #26
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

We don't have a lot but most kids here go to Sutter's Fort and the Capitol during school years. I go to Old Sacramento and the train museum. I've been to the car museum. We are not much of a museum town.

Tourist here would also include Apple Hill, Lake Tahoe, Virginia City and San Francisco. Been to all however, San Francisco I have yet to do most of the touristy stuff there. Have done wharf with bread bowl soup, Ghirilleli, Golden Gate, Lombard St but have not ridden a cable car or gone to China town. I did drive by the pretty ladies this last time though!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
disykat
DIS Veteran

Not so much now, but when the kids were smaller we made a point of getting them to many of the area sights. They're often surprised though that many of their friends haven't been those places.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Given the number of folks who on this board who consider St Loius a destination, I do think we maybe tend to take a few things about our area for granted. We have done most of the known attractions, but never really considered them the kinds of things that would draw in visitors from other states - unless they happened to be passing through.
I used to go to Forest Park all the time with the kids when they were little, it is one of my favorite places. I want a bike rack so I can go biking there.

I need to go to the City Museum. I have never been there.

When we lived in DFW, I went to all the tourist areas. I think I went to the 6th Floor Museum 3 times and Fort Worth Stockyards several times.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
indimom
Are We There Yet?

um, a mere 6,000 people live in my town.

it's safe to say I've been in every building there is to enter here.

The only time you could call it playing tourist was when we went to the grand opening of our new historical society.

I've been to nearly every museum and sports event Cincinnati and Indianapolis have to offer though.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #30
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

YES! We have moved many times, and I find that EVERY place has wonderfully fun things to do and places to visit. We are always surprised by how often we hear "oh that is a nice place, I went there on a field trip in 5th grade" or some such, when we tell locals who have always lived there what we are up to

Right now (and hopefully, finally, very long term) we live in a MAJOR tourist area anyway. We make a point of going to many places (Heidelberg Castle, Scwhetzingen Palace, etc) at least once a year, both because they are fun and because I don't want us to forget how lucky we are and start to take things for granted.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: