Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Why don't people RSVP to parties anymore?

Are they so busy that they can't take a minute out of their day to do so? Today we celebrated my DD's 7th birthday at the clubhouse down the street. All her classmates live in the same neighborhood. Out of 25 kids in her class, only 7 came. Only two parents called me, I had to email the rest. It just seems like not many kids go to parties nowadays. I've seen that at parties my DD goes to.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
low-key
DIS Veteran

I hate when people tell you let them know for "regrets only" , Im not gonna call you and tell you im not coming, in fact im gonna hide from you until party is over
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I'm the type who responds right away, but then I place the envelope on the table, and it never gets mailed. I do apologize, I'm one of those people.

I think most people are afraid to RSVP, because they are waiting for a "better" offer, then if nothing comes up, it's like well, we could always go to so and so's party.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We sweated out a couple parties like that when our boys were little. Too much stress not knowing if anyone would show since they didn't RSVP. Once other parents got to know us, we started having parties with only a handful of friends. We invited those close friends, then offered to swing by and pick the kids up ourselves. It was really the only way to be sure they'd be there.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Not responding is rude, theres no excuse really.....everyone is busy and its just not a priority to them so they forgo the call/rsvp....

I hope your daughter enjoyed her Birthday celebration.....
Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
ilovediznee
Always planning our next trip home to Disney!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

What I put on invites...

I no longer put RSVP because I got nothing. I now say, or my DD says on her invitations - Please respond EITHER way to ________. We get responses now.

Good luck!
ilovediznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

It's a pet peeve of mine. It's very difficult when you are the one trying to do all the planning. There's a big difference between 5 people showing up and 30, especially on your pocketbook!

Plus, nowadays, most people put emails for RSVPs so it takes two seconds.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine. It's very difficult when you are the one trying to do all the planning. There's a big difference between 5 people showing up and 30, especially on your pocketbook!

Plus, nowadays, most people put emails for RSVPs so it takes two seconds.
I like responding to email or text RSVP's. Half the time when I call I don't get an answer so I don't know if they received my message or not. If we email or text then its almost an immediate response.

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
We sweated out a couple parties like that when our boys were little. Too much stress not knowing if anyone would show since they didn't RSVP. Once other parents got to know us, we started having parties with only a handful of friends. We invited those close friends, then offered to swing by and pick the kids up ourselves. It was really the only way to be sure they'd be there.
The bolded is what we've done for a couple of DDs parties. Her bday is right before Christmas, so I get that people are busy. I ask people to call, text or email. Most every young parent I know today can easily do that from their phone.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Mokat76
DisKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key
I hate when people tell you let them know for "regrets only" , Im not gonna call you and tell you im not coming, in fact im gonna hide from you until party is over
Why? This is just rude.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

I hear you, OP!

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland1084 View Post
Are they so busy that they can't take a minute out of their day to do so? Today we celebrated my DD's 7th birthday at the clubhouse down the street. All her classmates live in the same neighborhood. Out of 25 kids in her class, only 7 came. Only two parents called me, I had to email the rest. It just seems like not many kids go to parties nowadays. I've seen that at parties my DD goes to.
There isn't any excuse for bad manners but next time you might want to include your email address and cell phone in the invite. That way people can email or text you. Some people just don't want to make a call to someone they don't know not that I'm excusing anyone.

Also, you might think about doing an evite instead of paper invitations.

I personally never had problems with RSVPs to my DD's parties but we always kept them small and just included close friends so that's probably the difference.

Last edited by Poohforyou; 04-28-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

ugh, huge pet peeve of mine too! It's totally rude to not bother to respond. I don't care either way if someone can't come, but just let me know so I can plan for food etc. I had a party for DD's confirmation last week. I sent invites via Evite. One SIL read the evite, but never bothered to respond. I asked MIL the day of the party if she was coming or not and SIL had told her she couldnt due to blah,blah blah etc. I mean really?? It couldnt be any easier to respond especially using something like Evite! Just click "no" and it's done! So rude.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

It is SO rude not to at least call and say you are not coming when you get an invite. Luckily my daughters birthday was right around open school night so I would send the invites out with and RSVP date of open school night and then if I did not hear by then I would just ask them at open school night "oh by the way is Sally going to be able to come to my daughters party" LOL.
My daughters friend has a birthday near Christmas and I think she has been able to make one of those parties in all the years. We are really busy every weekend from Thanksgiving until Christmas with charity work we both do so basically every invite in that time is an automatic "no" but we do call and let them know. Its just to crazy during the holidays for us to throw a birthday party in there too.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland1084 View Post
Do YOU actually know all 25 kids and their parents? I am sorry...and I understand completely the *rule* that invite going thru school HAS to go to the whole class. BUT.. If I do not know YOU and I do not know YOUR child, while rude...it is not on the top of my list to RSVP. My kids are Middle School, High School and College now...but even when they were much younger I felt the same.

As with everyone.. we are all busy...I get an invite from the kids backpack...sometimes a few days AFTER they got it, because I was never a Mom who searched the backpacks everyday.

We look at the invite, I ask who is this kid? My kid responds back with some kid in my class. Oh, OK I say and then I think to myself let me check the calendar to see if I can make this work...Well, guess what. It goes in my brain.. out the brain and I completely forget.. why... because I do not know you and it just is not important to me.

Yes, rude..but I am just trying to explain at least my point. My kids always had home parties with a small handful of friends that I personally knew and my kids played with all the time.. I never had party issues.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: