Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Huff
DIS Veteran

Best San Francisco tours or DIY?

Any good SF tours that teen girls would enjoy? Or is it better to just get a day pass for cable cars and muni and make our own tour?

We'll want to see all the usual stuff, wharf, chinatown, union square, ghiradelli square etc. Girls are shopaholics so any unique shopping experience would interest them. We'll have a car so could drive and park for the day somewhere or possibly ride Bart into the city.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

I'd like to know this answer too. .)
msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
kacaju
DIS Veteran

I would say do a tour of the city.. This way you get to know the major tourist attractions and then can decide what you want to explore more during your stay. I was there last year around this time and I was alone and had no car (I went with my hubby who was on a business trip) So I did all tours. If I was with my family we would have had a car and been able to drive around to see stuff.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

There are a couple of hop on/off double decker bus tours in SF. We got one that went across the Golden Gate Bridge that had stops at both ends. It hit all the major attractions (plus Union Sq. where the major shopping is) . There was a reduced 2nd day rate. Much easier then doing it on your own IMO
P.S. we stayed near Fishermans Wharf and used a Muni Pass to cover other things we wanted to do.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

Dylan's Tours

We did the 1/2 day tour with Dylan's Tours when we visited SF in October. Our daughter was 14-1/2 at the time, and she really enjoyed it. There wasn't really any shopping, but a lot of sightseeing. We only had 2 full days in SF, so this allowed us to cover a lot of ground in less than a day. We were on a 15 passenger bus, so not a huge tour bus. Our guide took us through all of the neighborhoods of SF - the good and the bad. He gave us so much amazing info - history, pop culture, political, etc... We would never have seen this much on our own, mostly because we wouldn't know where to go. We got to go to Twin Peaks for a great view of the city. We also went across the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods for 1-1/2 hours in the redwood forest there. On the way back we stopped at Marion Headlands for amazing views of the bridge! The lunch break stop was on Haight-Asbury, which was the home of the hippie movement. It appears that not a lot has changed! There are some very interesting stores and some very interesting people in that area. We kept our kids close, but it made for some funny memories.

The next day we rode the cable car and shopped.

Enjoy planning! SF is a fun city!
bamagirl@hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Plutofan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl@hrt View Post
We did the 1/2 day tour with Dylan's Tours when we visited SF in October. Our daughter was 14-1/2 at the time, and she really enjoyed it. There wasn't really any shopping, but a lot of sightseeing. We only had 2 full days in SF, so this allowed us to cover a lot of ground in less than a day. We were on a 15 passenger bus, so not a huge tour bus. Our guide took us through all of the neighborhoods of SF - the good and the bad. He gave us so much amazing info - history, pop culture, political, etc... We would never have seen this much on our own, mostly because we wouldn't know where to go. We got to go to Twin Peaks for a great view of the city. We also went across the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods for 1-1/2 hours in the redwood forest there. On the way back we stopped at Marion Headlands for amazing views of the bridge! The lunch break stop was on Haight-Asbury, which was the home of the hippie movement. It appears that not a lot has changed! There are some very interesting stores and some very interesting people in that area. We kept our kids close, but it made for some funny memories.

The next day we rode the cable car and shopped.

Enjoy planning! SF is a fun city!
We doing the same tour with Dylan's tours in a little over a month. Did they do a good job?

Plutofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutofan View Post

We doing the same tour with Dylan's tours in a little over a month. Did they do a good job?
They did a fabulous job! We were so pleased with the tour. We felt it was a real bargain for all that we got to see and do. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
bamagirl@hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I tag along with my DH on his business trips to San Francisco as often as possible. So, I tend to sight see SF on my own.....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2451585

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: