Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Poewill
Earning My Ears

Moderate versus Deluxe Resort?

We will be travelling to Disney next March and are contemplating over a deluxe resort (possibly animal kingdom) or a moderate resort. Can anyone enlighten us to which one they prefer and why? We will have our two daughters withus (ages 4 and 7). Thanks!

Last edited by Poewill; 04-28-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Poewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I enjoy both deluxe and mods. But some of the things I like about deluxe over mods are the deluxe have inside halls. So more privacy in that no body is walking past your room windows. Also enjoy having a balcony. Nicer bathroom, with separate closets. In the mods they have an open clothing rack in the sink area. Larger room as well. Most of the deluxe have alternative transportation or walking distance to one or two parks, either monorail or boat.
Or both.
The moderates are just bus transportation. With the exception of the POR resorts which have a boat to DTD. And they happen to be my fav mods.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poewill View Post
We will be travelling to Disney next March adn are contemplating over a deluxe resort (possibly animal kingdom) or a moderate resort. Can anyone enlighten us to which one they prefer and why? Thanks!
Our first onsite stay was at a moderate and we loved it, but since then have tried several deluxes. We prefer the deluxes for many reasons:

- larger rooms
- interior corridors
- balcony or patio
- signature restaurants
- different transportation options
- close proximity to other deluxe resorts for a variety of dining/shopping options (with the exception of AKL, although AKL is a great place to stay)

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I prefer interior corridors, balconies all the extras the deludes have to offer.
Moderates are nice but too large for my liking.but I have to say they have nice pools.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

We have stayed both deluxe and moderate. We definitely prefer deluxe. We like the feel better. With inside doors and balconies. We like being at GF because of the monorail to MK and Epcot. But we have also stayed a AKL twice and LOVE it there! Having a savannah view is amazing. If you can afford the extra $ then go deluxe!

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I think that you need to evaluate how much time you will be staying at the resort and how much that time is worth. My family stayed at ALK on the first trip back in many years. My DGD was 4 at the time and she decided that she wanted to move in there. The pool is a zero entry pool and there is a lot for families there.

I think that for little ones, if you choose to stay at a MOD, try POFQ. it is compact, lovely, has a pool that is very kid friendly, has a food court that is easily accessed with plenty of seating, and has a small arcade. Last Thanksgiving we stayed at the BC and my now 11 YO DGD asked if we could go and visit her favorite resort, she wanted her PA to tour her home away from home.

So, go online and check out teh amenities of the resorts that you are considering and then the price differences of those resorts. Factor that against your overall budget and if youwill utilize the resort enough to justify the difference.

We pick and choose. When my DH is along we generally stay deluxe. When he is not we choose MOD and our MOD of choice is POFQ for the reasons listed above.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
SydsMommy
Earning My Ears

We normally stay at Shades of Green but decided to splurge for our latest trip and stayed at Yacht Club (we just got back yesterday). Our kids are 7 and 3 and we loved it. I would highly recommend it - it was worth every penny! The pool is amazing, location is great for easy access to 2 parks and lots of dining options nearby.
SydsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

The moderates are glorified motels. Albeit some of the nicest and most well-maintained motels I have ever seen, but motels nonetheless. We typically flee to our rooms in the middle of the day and don't really like the idea of having the "view" from our room be of the exterior hallway entrances to our room. Other reasons why we like deluxe are the better restaurant options and (with the exception of AKL) alternative transportation options to busses to at least one park.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
The moderates are glorified motels. Albeit some of the nicest and most well-maintained motels I have ever seen, but motels nonetheless. We typically flee to our rooms in the middle of the day and don't really like the idea of having the "view" from our room be of the exterior hallway entrances to our room. Other reasons why we like deluxe are the better restaurant options and (with the exception of AKL) alternative transportation options to busses to at least one park.
THIS exactly. I've stayed at all levels and the mods are nice....just not nice enough for the price. So I'm a strange one but I'd rather do Value or Deluxe. If I want to save money or go big on theme, Value is the way to go at Disney. But it is crazy and loud and fun and manic....I just have to decide if I'm in the mood for that.

If not, Deluxe is the way to go. Balcony, interior halls, and all of the perks of onsite with the sophistication and calm.... I almost always will favor a deluxe over a value and would take the worst room at AKL any day before the best at a Moderate.....but that's just me! Some folks love the mods.....
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelsGoodMom View Post
THIS exactly. I've stayed at all levels and the mods are nice....just not nice enough for the price. So I'm a strange one but I'd rather do Value or Deluxe. If I want to save money or go big on theme, Value is the way to go at Disney. But it is crazy and loud and fun and manic....I just have to decide if I'm in the mood for that.

If not, Deluxe is the way to go. Balcony, interior halls, and all of the perks of onsite with the sophistication and calm.... I almost always will favor a deluxe over a value and would take the worst room at AKL any day before the best at a Moderate.....but that's just me! Some folks love the mods.....
Totally with you on the value over mod thing. The mods don't offer enough extra to justify paying the price over a value resort. If I'm going to stay in a motel, I want to pay something closer to motel prices.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
thej
DIS Veteran

We have actually stayed at both and like both for different reasons.

Deluxe has a lot of nice extras, and if I was going to be spending a lot of time at the resort, I would stay at a Deluxe. Better pools, more dining choices, bigger rooms (some with actual views!) better service, great theming and lots to do. Once we stayed at AKL, we've never wanted to stay anywhere else. It's become our go-to resort.

BUT... sometimes the vacation budget won't stretch that far or we are only going to be spending a few days at WDW and very little time in the room... Then a Mod or even a Value fits the bill. Realistically for us there are only a couple of reasons to even go Mod over Value. One is a queen sized bed (some of the Mods). A double is nice and cozy, but I prefer not to wake up with an elbow in my eye, and neither does my spouse. The second is the better pool. And that's really it. It's enough though to keep us out of the Vales some of the time.

In the end though it all comes down to what our budget for that trip will support. With a Mod at half the price of a Deluxe, we are willing to make the trade-off if it means being able to take the trip or not. Sometimes, a Value is what it takes, and we are OK with that. Remember - A day at WDW (even sleeping in a value) beats a day at work

1977 - 1st trip to MK | 85-95 - day trips | Jun 88 - Disney Inn | May 90 - Grad Nite | May 03 - DCL | Jan 09 - CR
Jan 10 - CSR | Jun 10 - PoP | Feb 11 - ASMu | Jun 11 - DCL Alaska | Jan 12 - PoP/AKL | Jun 12 - AKL | May 13 CSR
Oct 13 - 1st Disneyland visit! | May 14 SWW- AKL

Last edited by thej; 04-29-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: hit post too soon.
thej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
scjo68
DIS Veteran

We like both Mods and deluxes. We have never stayed at AKL but the folks I know who have love it. AKL would not give you a transportation advantage to any parks, and the rooms would not be as large as the monorail deluxes. I have heard wonderful things about the dining options at AKL. We tend to eat more counter service, and I have found that to be an advantage of the Mods over the deluxes.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR, Aug. 2014 POP
scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both as well and definitely prefer the deluxes for a lot of the reasons that have already been stated. BUT as another pp mentioned, budget drives where we stay. We love CSR as we feel it's a deluxe "light" and are planning another stay this August but, if I didn't already have another trip booked this year, I would definitely be going deluxe again this Summer.

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: