Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
JanetRose
Do I need to know why Captain Sparrow's compass only pointed one way?

Bare spots in lawn

Is there such a machine that you can make holes in the ground and lay grass seed?

I'm a city girl with a yard and don't know much.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

There is something called an aerator I believe, but if the spots aren't big, you can just scratch up the surface really well, lay your seed, and water the heck out of it. That's pretty much what we all do around here- city neighborhood with postage stamp sized yards
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

There is a machine called a seed slicer that you can rent from Home Depot or Lowe's that, as the name implies, slices the ground and pours seed into the slashes, where it will stay more moist and will grow more quickly.

I used one on our first house and I remember that it worked really well, but that it also used a TON of grass seed and I was sore for a week after wrangling the machine around the yard.

An aerator, on the other hand, will help loosen the soil, but isn't the best solution for planting grass.

ETA, we used it to reseed essentially our entire lawn, which was pretty thin. I agree with the PP that for small spots, you can just loosen up the soil and put down seed and then water it lightly at least twice a day. Grass seed must be kept moist to sprout!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

I just throw grass seed down, water it daily and hope for the best If I'm feeling ambitious, I throw some hay on top of it
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
denisem
DIS Veteran

I subscribe to the Cantw8 method: take a rake, rough up the bare patch, sprinkle some grass seed, rake a little bit more (supposedly the grass seed need only be covered by 1/4 inch of soil) and keep moist. Do not flood it, or if you get a rainstorm, start over. Hope for the best, usually it works out for small bare spots.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
shortbun
Peacenik

Use a thatching rake to remove any old dead grass or debris. Overseed like crazy then roll the whole yard to force the seeds into the ground. You can rent rollers. We did it last year to repair dead spots and had major success. If you see after a rain, the seeds will stick instead of blow away.
ETA: I said "we did it", it was all my DH!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Why do you have bare spots?

Dogs? (One of my issues) Weeds? Disease? Overwatered last year and then had dead spots because of the drought?(My second issue) Just getting started on a lawn that needs a lot of TLC?

Overseeding is best done in fall for greater success as an FYI.

For example, here in MO the later it gets, the harder it gets to grow grass seed now because the heat of the summer will kill the seedlings unless you have a inground sprinkler system and you can lightly water as needed.

Seed choice is a big deal. Don't buy stuff from Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, etc...Go to a farm store that sells QUALITY seed. Second research the seed type you want/need to plant. I use EARTH CARPET. It is not cheap however in the end you save money because it germinates better, it is a better quality seed, etc....

Then to repair, do as the posters suggested with removal of dead vegetation. I also add potting soil to the the spots and then add the seed with large dead patches (aka my "dog areas").

Right now since I have bluegrass, I am getting up the dead stuff, adding potting soil and then my bluegrass will just grow into it. If you have a fescue it grows in clumps and will not spread in the manner.

ETA....In addition if you have put down CRABGRASS halt stuff, you cannot overseed now. The crabgrass halt stuff prevents ALL seed germination which includes grass seed. Read the label on the timing of when you can plant your seed if you have put down that stuff.

This fall aerate and then reseed again. Make sure you buy your own seed to plant. Never use the seed they have if you hire someone to aerate. It is the better time for success of your seed. :

Last edited by The Mystery Machine; 04-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: